What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you achieved the big aroma hit. My hazy IPA has 300g. It's got the taste but lacking that big punch of the aroma.
It does smell very hoppy but so does Summer Breeze which didn’t do very well in the comp partly because the aroma wasn’t punchy enough. I wasn’t there when the bottle was opened so I’m left unsure of whether my idea of hoppy is very different to others’ or whether I managed to lose aroma through the bottling process.

It does smell very hoppy but so does Summer Breeze which didn’t do very well in the comp partly because the aroma wasn’t punchy enough. I wasn’t there when the bottle was opened so I’m left unsure of whether my idea of hoppy is very different to others’ or whether I managed to lose aroma through the bottling process.
I had similar feedback. Mine needed a bit more body and lacked aroma. I upped the mash temp and added more calcium chloride. I scored 35 which was fair enough for a first attempt.
I may just have to settle on the aroma I am not sure I want to go down the road of adding 500g of hops to a beer. 👍

I had similar feedback. Mine needed a bit more body and lacked aroma. I upped the mash temp and added more calcium chloride. I scored 35 which was fair enough for a first attempt.
I may just have to settle on the aroma I am not sure I want to go down the road of adding 500g of hops to a beer. 👍
I feel the same, I don’t want to have to add more hops so the challenge is how to get more aroma out of 300g. I’ve never tried for example adding hops to the cornie keg (leaf hops in a mesh cylinder).

I knew my Best Bitter was low 😢

EA27DE2A-2DD9-4446-BFCA-894E7BC25769.jpeg

All my hops come from geterbrewed or CML. The beer I sent to the competition was mosiac lupomax citra and centennial. My current one is citra Idaho 7 and Chinook
What were they like before using them? I have had bad hops from both and threw them rather than ruin a beer.

I know @dan125 used lupomax and struggled with the aroma this time, perhaps not as good as they make out. I know he buys direct from US.

Well that experiment didn't work out I figured the hop pellet would do this. Glad I tried it with a cheap lager. So here is a vote against dropping a pellet into a bottle of lager and recapping. I will stick to the brewing up a hop sampler method from now on.

Oh I did take a couple sips and I did not notice anything different either.

PXL_20210617_000213564.jpg

This westmalle Extra was lovely. Preferred it to Duvels 6.66 . This beer had much less sweetness than 6.66. I think it's the reason I prefer Belgian pales and most Belgian pale beers below 6% over the higher AbV styles. I find the slight sweetness from the alcohol not to my taste . I think beers with a higher level of bitterness above 6% balance out the sweetness like Zinnebir & XX Bitter. I'm finding the original Duvel a little sweet on the end at the moment, same with Westmalle Tripel.
IMG_20210616_194957.jpg

What were they like before using them? I have had bad hops from both and threw them rather than ruin a beer.

I know @dan125 used lupomax and struggled with the aroma this time, perhaps not as good as they make out. I know he buys direct from US.
Looking back through all the previous American IPA competition. Aroma seems to be a common problem for all brewers. Not sure what to make of this, I am trying to work if I am not getting enough out of the hops being used or simply not using enough. I also ask the question about using calcium chloride, I don't seem to suffer the same when going towards a sulphate forward beer.

Or is our expectations just to high when comparing against commercial beers that employ better techniques

Looking back through all the previous American IPA competition. Aroma seems to be a common problem for all brewers. Not sure what to make of this, I am trying to work if I am not getting enough out of the hops being used or simply not using enough. I also ask the question about using calcium chloride, I don't seem to suffer the same when going towards a sulphate forward beer.

Or is our expectations just to high when comparing against commercial beers that employ better techniques
Most likely a combo of expectations, hop quality, temperature of dry hop additions. Fermentation set up- closed systems to keep aromas in and the ability to rouse the hops maybe🤷🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back