What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saison. 10 days in the bottle, which dropped clear almost instantly but has some chill haze. I was unsure what to expect because 1, I haven't had a saison in a long time, 2, fermenting temp was high end for belle saison and 3, lots of residue around the bottles, shoulder etc. I was thinking i may not have rinsed them enough.

Atm I think it's just like a Belgian ale?

Now, do I risk more drink for the match and take the early start to work?

20210618_190456.jpg

A tasty beer swap from @Hazelwood Brewery . Irish stout is
IMG_20210618_210037.jpg
👌🏼. It had a lovely tanned head but it disappeared very quickly. Lovely chocolatey aroma. It has a medium carbonation which is nice with the low ABV just over 4% the body is light but it has enough mouthfeel so it doesn't taste thin. It's very easy drinking and refreshing. Smooth chocolate flavours with light roast. Very nice beer👏🏼👌🏼

Any good? I wouldn't mind taking a shot at that recipe sometime.
I based this on recipe posted by darrellm on 11/07/20 in a thread on HPA. I used 2kg of MO and 2kg of low colour pale malt to keep it pale rather than golden but it still finished up darker than HPA. I also used Wilko Gervin (Nottingham) yeast as I was having to ferment in a cool place as opposed to the recommended Liberty Bell plus I like a firm sediment. The result is one of the clearest beers I have ever brewed and very pleasant though not as subtle or flowery as HPA. I am happy to achieve an approximation and my deviations from the recipe plus deficiencies in skill are sufficient to explain a result different to that originally intended.

After a lack luste performance from Harry Kane & Co, time to pin my hopes on something more reliable.

This solid West Indian Porter from @dave_77 is a treat for the taste buds.

A deceptive pour with little obvious carbonation that builds up to leave a medium tan head.

Served around 14 degrees the initial aroma was thin, maybe a slight hint of chocolate and brown sugar. The noticeable bitterness was hard to place at first, hop bitterness or roasted barley?

I let this attractive beer stand a while to warm up a couple of degrees. There's a hint of chocolate malt in the aroma and a detectable brown malt flavour but I can't detect anything from the yeast, yes, the yeast stays out of the way - this is all about the malt!
The extra warmth shows this porter off nicely. The chocolate flavour is there throughout but smooth too. A small hint of the 6.2% alcohol coats the tongue, nice body though not sweet, so probably not a British yeast? An assertive dry bitterness is definitely from hops. The malts are smooth and well balanced though detectable in their own right - brown and chocolate malts reveal themselves equally. Later the chocolate takes over both in aroma and flavour, and finally a slight fruity finish from the hops arrives just before the last couple of mouthfuls, evidently due to the rise in temperature.

It's been a pleasure, thanks @dave_77
rps20210618_221215.jpg

Last edited:
That's on my brew list. It's spot on, how's it tasting
Caramelly and full bodied. I'd brew it again tomorrow if I had everything in stock except I'd like to try it with spicy Saaz instead of Hersbrucker to see how it offsets the caramel flavours.

Caramelly and full bodied. I'd brew it again tomorrow if I had everything in stock except I'd like to try it with spicy Saaz instead of Hersbrucker to see how it offsets the caramel flavours.
Sold I need to order some stuff. I will report back on how I get on. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back