What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Challenger and First gold work well together.

While I doff my cap to Mr H on recommending fuggles, there are other options available.

I did a "Lakeland Ale" with challenger and First Gold in 2020 that was very well received by all who tried it (including some old farts that are quite hard to please). It was somewhat representative of an English Lakes / West Yorkshire amber bitter. Quite different to Hazelwood's preferred Southern English bitters, but still an excellent ale. Go with a Yorkshire ale yeast for this one. I used Nottingham which was ok but suppressed some of the hop flavour - it could have been brighter. Challenger for bittering, challenger and First gold in conservative measures for aroma and flavour. The first gold tends to want to take over so you need a light hand.
The question was about whether First Gold might work in MY bitter recipe.

NO!

(Only joking 😉 )

Yep. Challenger and First gold work well together.

While I doff my cap to Mr H on recommending fuggles, there are other options available.

I did a "Lakeland Ale" with challenger and First Gold in 2020 that was very well received by all who tried it (including some old farts that are quite hard to please). It was somewhat representative of an English Lakes / West Yorkshire amber bitter. Quite different to Hazelwood's preferred Southern English bitters, but still an excellent ale. Go with a Yorkshire ale yeast for this one. I used Nottingham which was ok but suppressed some of the hop flavour - it could have been brighter. Challenger for bittering, challenger and First gold in conservative measures for aroma and flavour. The first gold tends to want to take over so you need a light hand.

I used first gold once in trying to make a clone of Adnams Broadside. The resulting beer was not really a clone but was very nice according to my notes and recollection.

Encouraged by Hazelwood (?) and others singing the praises of Old Peculier, I thought I'd give it another go, although I had a kinda folk-memory from way back when that I didn't like it much. I Googled, and their website says

OFFICIAL TASTING NOTES: One of the world's great beers - smooth, strong and mellow. Old Peculier made Masham famous - rich dark and smooth tasting, with a character all of its own. Brewed using the traditional Fuggle hop, Old Peculier is our best known beer with a large and enthusiastic following all over Britain and around the world!

UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES: A distinctive banana and black cherry aroma leading to a magnificent kaleidoscope of flavour. Rich, smooth and sweet.

I am obviously very bad at this; it doesn't smell of anything much to me!

It's OK, but for me, it's decent strongish dark beer, but nothing amazing. Honestly, if was drinking 'supermarket beer', I'd rather have a Black Sheep. Although obviously it's not the same kind of drink.

hmm... finishing the evening off with a Mr. president & a Wernher von Braun's Barley Wine seemed such a good idea at the time ( I was watching a david adair YT video at the time). I think i've ended up at mars. night all......

Kit cider nice and clear but tastes a bit watery

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_202157.jpg
    IMG_20210723_202157.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 40
First try at lemondrop pale ale - extra pale malt extract with citra & lemondrop hops (no dry hop).
Force-carbonated this as I’ve only just bottled it.
Absolutely stunning, super fruity and crisp - so good I’ve started another batch.

0080C29B-E9B0-432E-B99D-FDF1AFDD3247.jpeg

I think Ireland’s weather is broken. 27c here again today 😍 had to go for a nice refreshing freezing cold cider and a koppaberg for the wife. View attachment 51454

It’s a more comfortable 21 here today and quite nice after several days and nights in the heat. What a difference a day makes!

The first pint of stout from a fresh keg after so rudely running out last night.

I need to get some more Maris Otter ordered so I can get another batch of stout and bitter on the go.

F1817A0F-FAB7-4F8D-A135-EF4C2354809C.jpeg

The temperature is up to 23 now and the sun is breaking through the clouds so the weekend weather is better than I expected.

Happy weekend folks! :cool:

🎵 Summer Breeze makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind🎵

View attachment 51464
I wanted to record a video clip with Summer Breeze playing on the speaker but my plan was foiled, switching on my phone’s video camera muted the speaker! :confused.: 😂

I think you’ve won the battle with that artistic shot! 😝

Elderflower shampoo bottled and Ruby mild kegged so time to settle down in front of lions with a pint of German Pilsner.

View attachment 51467

We have the rugger on too. The hubby as a youth played for York for about 10 years. It's where he got the humongous lump on his nose! So we're having to endure the delights of Nigel Owens and co. :rolleyes: 😁. Better than football I suppose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back