What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished all my jobs so I’m having half of my oxidised ****! 😂

Not upset any more, it is what it is! I have a plan for next time to ensure it doesn’t happen again 🙈🤞

Positives about it:-

Haze is spot on
Head retention not too bad
Well-balanced and smooth

I have learned a lot on this brew cycle! You can’t learn if you don’t make mistakes. Have a good evening everyone!

34868DEA-433E-4457-A827-2A6A9A00E995.png

What a result here for @DocAnna. Nothing promised on the label that wasnt comprehensively delivered. This one has, to my puzzlement, lay in my garage Anna dropped it off several weeks ago, and has endured a temperature profile that even Greta Thunberg would have found fanciful, yet the colour, the thick haze and the head have all remained, as has a massive fruity aroma as soon as it was opened.

Taste and mouthfeel could easily (and them some) pass as a commerical NEIPA, which is what I always want to hear my brews compared to so hopefully that hits the mark! Well done Anna 👏

Also, the labels as discussed before
20210728_185126.jpg
are superb

Much as I’m loving the Irish Red’s at the minute, have to wind up with one off these. Hats off to the quality control team at Guinness, I had one of the crew as a patient a couple of months back. He explained just how hard they had to work to make sure standards were maintained during the various lockdown/restart cycles and 95+% fall in volume of brews over that period.

Attachments

• B6A58547-A0D2-4213-833D-77DF34F323E3.jpeg
    B6A58547-A0D2-4213-833D-77DF34F323E3.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 34
Much as I’m loving the Irish Red’s at the minute, have to wind up with one off these. Hats off to the quality control team at Guinness, I had one of the crew as a patient a couple of months back. He explained just how hard they had to work to make sure standards were maintained during the various lockdown/restart cycles and 95+% fall in volume of brews over that period.
Funny I had a few in Jury's Inn Christchurch Dublin as the missus and I had a two night staycation deal Monday and Tuesday and they were cracking pints though has been nearly two years since I've had a proper pint of the black stuff...

Having a selection since I'm off on holidays and feel I need to sample a few more commercial ones so as I can compare them to my own which are carbing up nicely.
PXL_20210728_200641728.jpg

I had a pint of my Citra SMaSH and I can't find much difference except the Buxton has a better head which I'm quite happy with.

Last edited:
Right now, as per the Brewing At Room Temp thread, I'm drinking a Kolsch (I was brewing one, but realised I had never tasted one before). Anyway, I don't know how much variation there is in this type (I have two different ones), but to my untutored taste-buds, this is a *just* a lager. Nice enough, as lager goes, but... I suppose I was expecting something a bit different.

And now a Call it Something Nice chocolate and vanilla stout, from a local-ish brewery. 6.6% ABV. Again, a type I'm not at all familiar with. My first thought was, whooah, way too much chocolate! But that kinda dissipates a bit as you drink it. Certainly plenty going on, and good mouth-feel.

I tapped into my keg of session APA tonight. As I did, and the tap spluttered trying to dispense anything at all, it was then I remembered this was the first brew I’d dry hopped without a hop bag, and had just dumped all the pellets into the FV. It was a bloody nightmare to keg this one with a large amount of hop debris getting pulled up from the syphon and into the keg. It had clearly now clogged the dip tube.

I disconnected the gas and liquid posts and released the pressure in the keg a bit, then forced the gas pipe onto the liquid post and shot a burst of CO2 into it hoping this would clear it. The first bit out was a bit frothy but it seemed to do the trick, thankfully. It’s actually a pretty nice beer after all that.

6D3A7702-E6E1-47BA-8794-CC9650A9290B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back