What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm drinking a Cali Common too. First taste, bottled 20/7/21.

Verdict: pretty disappointing. Still quite cloudy, a bit flat and just doesn't taste 'ready'. File under "not worth touching for another three weeks at least, but not holding my breath anyway".

Poor planning, really, I made two 'high risk' brews that I thought might not turn out well in succession, this Cali Common, and a kolsh (still not bottled). I should be interspersing them with 'bankers' that I have brewed before and where I am confident of the results.

Hope a couple more weeks will improve it. I know what you mean about bankers v riskier, newer styles. My problem is I'm always tinkering with the bankers as well! Still, it would be a dull hobby if it was easy to master every brew first time.

backwood *******.jpg

Backwood *******. Good, good, good.

What's "turbo" if you please?
Sorry, Turbo Cider, must be a coquialism, however you spell that!
It's an apple juice plus whatever you throw in there, quick to make Cider.
This was my first go after a lot of research and turned out better than I expected as I expected it to be rougher and dryer needing back sweetening.
Have a look on the wine and cider forum, there's a big thread on it there 😉

belgium tripel.jpg

Pulled the gasket immediately from the bottle since it's seen better days (comment for swing-top users). HB Belgium Tripel. This one had been in the fermenter for eight months instead of my usual three weeks. It's dry, high ABV (13.5% or so) and the subtle flavors from fermenting at a high temp are still there. I've learnt that beer is resilient and it's hard not to make beer.
And now for something completely different: American cat eating condensed beer pellets.
american cat.jpg

love the carbonation.jpg

Love the carbonation from bottling--love it! HB Belgian
The seven Dasani bottles went to making a US gallon (128 oz) of tea--no sugar, no nothing and that's how I drink it. I use Celestial Seasonings brand. No idea if you UK folks find that brand offensive or not to your senses. I use 10-16 packs in cold water and leave it for a day or so in the fridge. I drink it straight--no additives. The bonus is that the cats aren't interested. Funny story: I thought I had created the wheel with this but I have yet to find one person I know who likes it.
tea.jpg

View attachment 52411
Love the carbonation from bottling--love it! HB Belgian
The seven Dasani bottles went to making a US gallon (128 oz) of tea--no sugar, no nothing and that's how I drink it. I use Celestial Seasonings brand. No idea if you UK folks find that brand offensive or not to your senses.
In the UK, Coca Cola's Dasani 'pure mineral water' was withdrawn shortly after launch in 2004 as it was laughed off the market being made from Sidcup tap water, only 9 miles from the comedy Only Fools and Horses, Mother Nature's Son episode where Del Boy made Peckham Spring water from the tap supply in the Christmas episode in 1992.
Also, On 18 March 2004, UK authorities found a batch was contaminated with levels of bromate, a suspected human carcinogen, in a concentration above the legal limit for sale,.
A big marketing faux pas from Coke.

Last edited:
Had a couple of really nice beers from @dan125 last night.
American Red 5.7% hopped with Chinook, Amarillo and Citra. Really nice aroma from the Citra. Nice level of bitterness with subtle spicyness from the chinook with good level of citrus fruity flavours. Really easy drinking beer. More please ..we can do swap when my Centennial/Simcoe Amber is ready in a couple of weeks
IMG_20210810_183107.jpg

Followed it up with American pale 5.0%
Super smooth with just enough bitterness to keep me happy😜, soft mouthfeel with the some bitterness at the end. Really attractive beer, looked paler in the flesh.felt it had a strong hop aroma, that seemed stronger than the flavour. Still plenty of hop flavour just was expecting a little more after the aroma.
Could definitely have a few pints of it👍🏼👍🏼
IMG_20210810_202018.jpg

Cider made from 🍎 (unknown cider variety) crushed and pressed and fermented with wlp775. Its strange because you would say its texture it thin, has a tannic edge without being toe curling or pucker, yet a sweet appley finish, which I put down to the yeast. Cold out the fridge which gives the glass a haze but perfectly clear.

Attachments

• 20210811_162759.jpg
    20210811_162759.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back