What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of firsts for me. And a brew dog nitro on special so rude not to
D5278C21-0B92-4AF5-A1E2-B27B8057AE9E.jpeg
89B97941-83E0-4F39-B647-A1DC8E8271AC.jpeg
1C5FD934-4626-4A65-BA74-E55B130EFE24.jpeg

I'll qualify this by saying that I never shy away from criticising my own beer to the point where I may be overly critical, AND, I have just discovered that Guinness from a can is utterly rank... But my own Guinness which was bottled only 2 days ago, is a significantly nicer drink than the real deal. Very pleasing.

20210917_213249.jpg

I'll qualify this by saying that I never shy away from criticising my own beer to the point where I may be overly critical, AND, I have just discovered that Guinness from a can is utterly rank... But my own Guinness which was bottled only 2 days ago, is a significantly nicer drink than the real deal. Very pleasing.

View attachment 54347
Guiness in a can ? Do you mean the Guiness original ? It’s a world away from the draught nitro stuff you get in bars and surger cans. But I remember when it was all you could get (in cans) here before the widget showed up. A generation would shake their heads disapprovingly at you for that. But I agree. Not a nice beer in a can.
Yours looks good though.

Guiness in a can ? Do you mean the Guiness original ? It’s a world away from the draught nitro stuff you get in bars and surger cans. But I remember when it was all you could get (in cans) here before the widget showed up. A generation would shake their heads disapprovingly at you for that. But I agree. Not a nice beer in a can.
Yours looks good though.
I bought it thinking it would be more representative of what I was tryong to copy. In hindsight I should have bought the draught can. Either way, not good at all.

One of your beers was brewed in Ellon (I'll have to Google that) and one in Ohio--I'm assuming USA. Interesting. I saw that Brewdog is multinational but there website is glitchy for me so I couldn't nail down exactly what's what.
Edit: Interesting in that a possible export would be feasible.
I have Googled 'Ellon' as I didn't know it either.
It's in sunny Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
The Brew dog brewery tap is TripAdvisor no1 thing to do in Ellon! Looks to have a lovely grey Tolquon castle too.
Looks a lot more pleasant than the only place I know around their, having worked in the papermill at Stoneywood, Dyce 18 miles down the A90.
The River Don is lovely there though.

First pour of my Passionfruit Gose. Not quite carbonated yet though.

On first taste I’d say this is the nicest thing I’ve made so far. Really light bodied and refreshing like a lager, but with the fruit, salt and coriander coming through. A really easy sourness too at 3.6 ph and not very bitter at 9 IBU's. That is to style though so all good.

However, I’m really worried about oxidisation. Does anyone think it’s started to oxidise? It looks a hideous colour in the fermenter and it’s slightly darker than it was at first.

I have bought some packaging so I can send a few bottles out so fingers crossed it doesn’t go bad. Holding my pigging breath for this one. It will be so disappointing if after all this effort it fails.

F61B8BA1-023A-43FC-B9D4-078B2EBED0E2.jpeg
30B42C76-0587-46BE-A2C8-E4D172616754.jpeg

794D275C-B6E6-457A-8A1E-C9572345C9C3.jpeg

Last edited:
First pour of my Passionfruit Gose. Not quite carbonated yet though.

On first taste I’d say this is the nicest thing I’ve made so far. Really light bodied and refreshing like a lager, but with the fruit, salt and coriander coming through. A really easy sourness too at 3.6 ph.

However, I’m really worried about oxidisation. Does anyone think it’s started to oxidise? It looks a hideous colour in the fermenter and it’s slightly darker than it was at first.

I have bought some packaging so I can send a few bottles out so fingers crossed it doesn’t go bad. Holding my pigging breath for this one. It will be so disappointing if after all this effort it fails.

View attachment 54386View attachment 54387
View attachment 54388
No, it doesn’t look oxidised. As it oxidises it goes from the colour in your glass toward the colour of the beer in your fermenter. The taste also changes from bright flavours to dull muted flavours with an odd off-taste to wet cardboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back