What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A dark mild is a bit like a baby stout but has low alcohol (typically 3%) and low bitterness (typically 15-20IBU). It’s not as full bodied either and the colour is less opaque.

You can get lighter milds too that are more brown and more like a baby brown ale.

Edit: Here’s a close-up of my dark mild when back lit…
9792C6C6-CA4F-4EFF-B70F-038F89460F5F.jpeg

Last edited:
You can get lighter milds too that are more brown and more like a baby brown ale.
You can get light milds that are nearly blonde in colour, some are amber. Some dark milds are distinctively ruby in colour, others as black as coal. Mmmmmmm..... Mild. I'm finding it hard to concentrate on this Zoom meeting I'm in......

You can get light milds that are nearly blonde in colour, some are amber. Some dark milds are distinctively ruby in colour, others as black as coal. Mmmmmmm..... Mild. I'm finding it hard to concentrate on this Zoom meeting I'm in......
Yes, colour is not a good indicator! Low strength and low bitterness are the main distinguishing features.

Can I ask? That grain bill looks more or less like a stout to me. So what is it that is making this a mild, rather than a stout? Is it less hops? Or the yeast?
Some beers are hard to stylise, misusing the word stylise. There are grey areas between styles, and disputes over style descriptions. Mild originally meant young, not aged. Nowadays milds tend to be low abv, low bitterness, low hop aroma. Around where I live Hydes and Holts pubs both sell dark milds on keg taps, cold. The difference between these and Guinness is not huge, imo. They are weaker and less bitter, and less dry, but you may struggle to decipher them if blindfolded, maybe. A dark mild will be less roasty than a stout, but not so much that it would be obvious, I suspect. A dark mild will probably use chocolate malt rather than roast barley. Generally speaking, I think. But some milds and some stouts use black malt. It's just a name at the end of the day!

Some beers are hard to stylise, misusing the word stylise. There are grey area between styles, and disputes over style descriptions. Mild originally meant young, not aged. Nowadays milds tend to be low abv, low bitterness, low hop aroma. Around where I live Hydes and Holts pubs both sell dark milds on keg taps, cold. The difference between these and Guinness is not huge, imo. They are weaker and less bitter, and less dry, but you may struggle to decipher them if blindfolded, maybe. A dark mild will be less roasty than a stout, but not so much that it would be obvious, I suspect.
Also correct, Milds don’t age well and are drunk young (the beer that is!). Possibly because of the smaller hop additions?

Actually, mines a week old, I’d better get on it! ;)

Also correct, Milds don’t age well and are drunk young (the beer that is!). Possibly because of the smaller hop additions?

Actually, mines a week old, I’d better get on it! ;)
Milds originally were strong. They were just strong beers that were drunk young! A few modern milds are strong, like Sarah Hughes.

A dark mild is a bit like a baby stout but has low alcohol (typically 3%) and low bitterness (typically 15-20IBU). It’s not as full bodied either and the colour is less opaque.

Edit: Here’s a close-up of my dark mild when back lit…
View attachment 55642
Hi H that is like mine was and with low bitterness and it does does taste like a baby stout so i did make a dark mild, the only thing was the fg at 4% but still very nice

Right! That’s waaaaaay too much talk about milds without one in my hand…

View attachment 55645
Can you all pack it in with your mouthwatering mild pictures? I am still stuck in this blooming Zoom meeting trying to pretend I'm awake. All I can think of now is mild. Mmmmmmmmm..... Mild ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back