What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be a coniseur of a fine pint of the black stuff then, Appologies 😁

We did a lap of Ireland on the bike a long time ago, looking for the perfect pint, didn't have a bad one compared to over here mind.
The problem here seems to be that it is served far too cold nowadays. The G in my local is ice cold. Honestly, you can't taste ANYTHING when you drink it. And you need to wear gloves when holding the glass for fear of frostbite! Makes me wonder if Extra Cold G ever really got discontinued in Ireland. I've been saying for years that it is too cold, thin and lacking in flavour... just like Extra Cold G.

The problem here seems to be that it is served far too cold nowadays. The G in my local is ice cold. Honestly, you can't taste ANYTHING when you drink it. And you need to wear gloves when holding the glass for fear of frostbite! Makes me wonder if Extra Cold G ever really got discontinued in Ireland. I've been saying for years that it is too cold, thin and lacking in flavour... just like Extra Cold G.
This is pretty much the problem with most keg beer, while I wouldn’t necessarily want Guineas at cask temperature (altough I have had some very good cask stouts so it could work) I find it depressing how many beers are chilled to the point of being tasteless. It’s one thing with a macro larger, which doesn’t really have much flavour to begin with but for all its faults I actually like Guinness once I’ve given it fifteen minutes by the pub fire to warm up.

Very interested to hear which way you go with this… would adding the liquid from cold steeped black malt change the flavour?
So this morning I drew 3 litres of wort from the fermentor. I added another 200g of black malt to let cold steep. I will add this back in tomorrow after I raise the temp to kill any nasties. I pitched the yeast to the other 17 litres.
The black malt is for colour only with minimal roast flavour. Black IPA is a very grey area. Too much roast your into a tropical stout.
Fingers crossed 🤞

I was in Liverpool last weekend. Had a few pints of stout in various Irish bars. They were all poor if I am honest.

Exactly the same here @Rodcx500z - mine's been in the keg about a week (brewed on the 4th Oct).
Looks very similar to yours so either we've both got it right or... 🤣

View attachment 56982
This one is bittered with Northern Brewer then Tettnang and Hallertauer Hersbrücker at flameout.
OG 1052.
I just realised you brewed yours on the 4th of october, i only brewed mine 8 days ago maybe thats the beoir yeast i used and yours does look clearer, everything i brew with this yeast is done in 7 days and almost clear, fermentation temp has been 18c i keep scanning for a weather window were i can use a lager yeast

I just realised you brewed yours on the 4th of october, i only brewed mine 8 days ago maybe thats the beoir yeast i used and yours does look clearer, everything i brew with this yeast is done in 7 days and almost clear, fermentation temp has been 18c i keep scanning for a weather window were i can use a lager yeast

You lot have made me want to do a Vienna lager ha ha ha! Will think of doing one early next year I think. Agenda is full for now. Got a catchy name already but I’ll keep that to myself 😬🤩

Just got home from a four-hour “lunch” with friends. Nice food and really nice beer from the Old Dairy Brewery. I had Uber Brew on tap and it was beautifully fresh, perfectly carbonated, served at the right temperature, and really flavourful - in the end I had 4 pints but would have happily had a few more. I haven’t really rated this brewery until now having only had their bottled beer but this was very different.

AFEE09D7-C3B0-46C8-86F4-23D0584E8219.jpeg

Happy Friday all you lovely people 🥳

Good point - mine was fermented at 12ºc in the new geek-fridge LoL

Just got home from a four-hour “lunch” with friends. Nice food and really nice beer from the Old Dairy Brewery. I had Uber Brew on tap and it was beautifully fresh, perfectly carbonated, served at the right temperature, and really flavourful - in the end I had 4 pints but would have happily had a few more. I haven’t really rated this brewery until now having only had their bottled beer but this was very different.

View attachment 57054

Happy Friday all you lovely people 🥳
Yer... I must admit I ended up in the local with a good mate and ended up having 4pts of Proper Job. Very nice too... although perhaps not the ideal preparation for working out my pension tax return...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back