What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Second beer from @samale. American Amber. Appearance is a little murky but with good carbonation. Had a nice citrus/pine aroma with some roasty toasty from the malts. Hop flavour I would say follows on from your IPA, a little lacking. Nice balanced bitterness with the body of the beer. I would say for me this is going slightly towards American Brown in colour and has a slight roast element. Maybe just personal preference as I prefer my amber's towards the amber colour with caramel/toffee flavours. Very nice easy drinking beer
IMG_20211113_193106.jpg

Second beer from @samale. American Amber. Appearance is a little murky but with good carbonation. Had a nice citrus/pine aroma with some roasty toasty from the malts. Hop flavour I would say follows on from your IPA, a little lacking. Nice balanced bitterness with the body of the beer. I would say for me this is going slightly towards American Brown in colour and has a slight roast element. Maybe just personal preference as I prefer my amber's towards the amber colour with caramel/toffee flavours. Very nice easy drinking beer
View attachment 57573
Both reviews are very similar to how I find both beers. The amber is far to murky, I only used base malt and dark crystal. Obviously too dark. I was more interested in the hop profile. The aroma for me is good but I over cooked on the crystal so it masks the flavour.
As mentioned the two beer are not world beaters but it's nice to get a second opinion. 👍

Both reviews are very similar to how I find both beers. The amber is far to murky, I only used base malt and dark crystal. Obviously too dark. I was more interested in the hop profile. The aroma for me is good but I over cooked on the crystal so it masks the flavour.
As mentioned the two beer are not world beaters but it's nice to get a second opinion. 👍
That surprises me about the only crystal..thought there would be some Carafa or something. What yeast did you use? I'm trying to find a yeast that clears nicely, 75% attenuation and fairly neutral or slightly fruity for my next amber. I have used American ale 2 which i liked, but trying to find something dry. Thinking I will try so4 at low end of temp.

That surprises me about the only crystal..thought there would be some Carafa or something. What yeast did you use? I'm trying to find a yeast that clears nicely, 75% attenuation and fairly neutral or slightly fruity for my next amber. I have used American ale 2 which i liked, but trying to find something dry. Thinking I will try so4 at low end of temp.
American amber is similar to a black IPA. People's perception of the style can vary. I like a nice malty back bone with notes of toffee and Carmel with a good hop aroma and flavor. Some American amber's are not to far away from a hoppy red ale, the one I sent as you said is the opposite end of the scale. It's too close to a hoppy brown ale.
I like something in between as regards to colour and clarity. I used Pia yeast which is not the best If your looking for a clear beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back