What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that many of the older English breweries that have their own yeast often have a very slight phenolic character to them; I can detect it in Bateman's yeast, as well as a couple of others. Not Belgian levels of funkiness, you understand, but a slight hint that is very pleasant.

Bit then, my taste buds are wierd, so that might be complete balderdash. 😁
That's what I was wondering if a yeast culture has been used for decades, like farmhouse strains of Kveik whether, they mutate and take on a funkiness of their own.
I didn't get that green apple phenolic twang, more a funky greasiness coating your mouth and as I had the same texture with the different tastes of each beer I am guessing it's the yeast, 4 different ales, same aftertaste.

Drinking the last homebrewed pale ale I have, need to get brewing again... Got ingredients for an old school west coast IPA, next weekend hopefully

IMG_20211121_174706684-02.jpeg

That's what I was wondering if a yeast culture has been used for decades, like farmhouse strains of Kveik whether, they mutate and take on a funkiness of their own.
I didn't get that green apple phenolic twang, more a funky greasiness coating your mouth and as I had the same texture with the different tastes of each beer I am guessing it's the yeast, 4 different ales, same aftertaste.
Your not alone. I get the same taste and mouth coating you describe from English style ales. It’s not the most pleasant taste but it’s not bad either. If you know what I mean.i always associate it with fuggles for some reason.

First go at my brambling cross smash and tbf as it was only kegged a week ago and I didn't have time for a cold crash is nice.
After my last post about 3 Tuns brewery I am wondering if that's part of the reasons why I had that twang with their beers, this was fermented with US05 so should be a clean aftertaste, but has that cloying twang, not as bad as yesterday's samples, but it's making me wonder if it's the yeast or young beer or the way it's fined or not that's giving it that slight haze and aftertaste?

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_174950.jpg
    IMG_20211121_174950.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 24
IMG_20211121_182648.jpg

🍺
English Bitter.
This has dropped nice and clear after being worryingly foggy for a few weeks.
It had only Protofloc in the end of boil to help.
It was the transfer to the polypin cask that sucked up and distributed some fermentation bottom crud.

I have some older pale ales that I made earlier in the year that showed green apple nose and flavour.
I thought it was just opening too soon after priming.
Now should be long enough to tell.

Oh, the wine is for the lamb a little later. 🍷

First go at my brambling cross smash and tbf as it was only kegged a week ago and I didn't have time for a cold crash is nice.
After my last post about 3 Tuns brewery I am wondering if that's part of the reasons why I had that twang with their beers, this was fermented with US05 so should be a clean aftertaste, but has that cloying twang, not as bad as yesterday's samples, but it's making me wonder if it's the yeast or young beer or the way it's fined or not that's giving it that slight haze and aftertaste?

My Bramling X smash was also a bit cloying when it was young, it gets better!

IMG_20211121_190014.jpg

And last of my 4 brews in polypin cask to sample this weekend is the Hoppy Pale Ale of Kent.
Let's see................
Mmmmm, rich and hoppy still.
(am I allowed to use the word 'still' on here, Thought Police?)

Must go now, carving and wife's preprandial Cahors to attend to.
In reverse order of priority of course !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back