What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this lurking for a while and discovered that I have two so cracked one open tonight to celebrate humpday.

Not a lot of head retention, is that normal for Saison?

Anyway. Still a nice tipple. A decent dunt at 10.5% so split with my Mrs as it's still early 😏

Defenite fruit aftertaste, mostly apricot for me. Will drink again 😉

20210120_192451.jpg

20210120_192608.jpg

Started off with my last SAISON 3 - bottled on 01/08/2019 - amazing yet sad - I only keep 6 of a batch to age, wish i'd done more ☹ - peppery, lemon and floral perfumey - lush.

Then a mr president - my fave brewdog - though triple hazy and lizard bride are a close 2nd

followed by a life and death - huzzah to vocation.

Finally this - my Golden amber triple 3 - from Hot to Warming in 4 months

19/08/2020 - brew 62 - Triple 8 - Belgian triple - silver cap
20g simcoe - 15 min boil with 5 litres water.
5g dried ground coriander
2kg DME light
500g DWE
500g DME Amber
500g clear candi sugar rocks
150g soft brown sugar
MJ Belgian Triple yeast
pitch at 23.5
OG 1.067
20.5 Litres
1.004 fg = 8.27%

I know this is going to sound naff but it's very triple-y - I was trying to work out which triple it was closest to... it was this!
https://www.brouwerijwilderen.be/nl/bieren/tripel-kanunnik-8-2

(not in the top 3 of my favourite tripels but certainly in my top 10) :cool: and well worth having a second...
IMG_20210120_192855_639[1].jpg

It's turned into two Tom Caxtons and now a MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA, so far....

Starting tonight with a guest ale from @strange-steve . This is his Weizenbock.

A hefty blast of CO2 when I cracked open the bottle but the beer stayed put in the bottle. The pour was very active and a head quickly built and then settled down after a few seconds, leaving a thin covering of small bubbles over the surface. The beer is very dark brown and I can see by holding it to the light that it’s clear and is tinged with a red hue.

The aroma is complex. There’s a soft alcoholic aroma. There are fruit notes of raisins, prunes, and banana but also a hint of something more juicy like blackberry or even black cherry? A slightly sweet malty backbone becoming more apparent as the beer warms a little.

The flavour is equally complex with dark fruit and dark malt lifted and softened by a lovely mouth-filing carbonation. Residual sweetness fades to alcoholic warmth and finishes like a glass of fine port.

Thanks very much Steve, a really nice beer and a great start to my evening!:hat:

View attachment 39848
Thanks for the review, glad you liked it :hat:

Tonight’s guest ale is a 5% Sweet Chocolate Stout from @chrisb8

On opening the bottle there was a gentle escape of CO2 so this beer will be softly carbonated. The pour was a smooth laminar flow of black viscous beer so already I can tell this has some body. Not much of a head and what I did coax faded to a ring of small bubbles around the glass. The beer is completely opaque.

Aroma is bitter chocolate, smooth latte coffee, and chocolate malt. There’s a hint of molasses maybe.

The flavour is quite intense, maybe even approaching an imperial in terms of its intensity. The flavour is much like the aroma and there’s an impression of liquorice from the dark malt intensity. The sweetness of this beer is well judged and is balanced. Bitterness is mild. The body as might be obvious from above is very full and with the residual sweetness leaves my lips slightly tacky.

The finish tends toward a mocha and right at the end I’m occasionally picking up a hint of pepper that I wasn’t expecting but quite like.

This is a very satisfying beer Chris and is an excellent substitute for an imperial stout if you really want one but have a 5am start at work! Thanks very much for sending it to me, I enjoyed it very much.

PS Are you sure this is only 5%?

EB3D236D-8529-4F68-86A6-86885586C116.jpeg

Just having a sample of my Belgian Quadrupel after checking the gravity
IMG_20210121_145019_537.jpg

1.100 down to 1.010
It's quite strongly alcoholic tasting at the moment, but that'll calm down. Fruity and quite spicy, lots of character to it which should develop nicely as it ages. I need to get to work on my 330ml beers so I can bottle this 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back