What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve had to come out the sun cos it’s boiling. We have half a moretti and a pint of Timmy T. I actually don’t mind the husband’s pint. He’s in shock 😂

FB51575D-2A42-4794-808C-BDE14DAAD69A.jpeg

Yesterday I collected my winnings from a wine auction in Lichfield. Along with the lot came 23 bottles of Burton centenary ale, a limited edition (4800) numbered brew by Bass Charrington.

As the brew was bottled in 1978 I didn't hold out much hope for the contents, so it didn't figure in my bid calculation.

But after getting my stash home, curiosity prevailed. There was no indication of strength on the label, nor best before date...

Whipping the cap off a bottle I was surprised to find it still had some gas pressure left. Pouring it revealed a clear beer with a decent head.

Drinkable? Yes. Slightly sweet and malty, it didn't seem pickled by excessive alcohol.

Far better than I expected.

A small glass of raspberry sour to see how it’s developing. The carbonation is fine, more than fine actually - I had to spoon the excess head off twice before I could fill the glass. D’oh!

You can see it’s crystal clear. It actually tastes much the same as it did a month ago, clean, tart rather than sour, and unsurprisingly it tastes of raspberry. Good on a hot day like today.

D18E0FAF-82A3-41A4-A08F-DD88291534A9.jpeg

Yesterday I collected my winnings from a wine auction in Lichfield. Along with the lot came 23 bottles of Burton centenary ale, a limited edition (4800) numbered brew by Bass Charrington.

As the brew was bottled in 1978 I didn't hold out much hope for the contents, so it didn't figure in my bid calculation.

But after getting my stash home, curiosity prevailed. There was no indication of strength on the label, nor best before date...

Whipping the cap off a bottle I was surprised to find it still had some gas pressure left. Pouring it revealed a clear beer with a decent head.

Drinkable? Yes. Slightly sweet and malty, it didn't seem pickled by excessive alcohol.

I don’t think “best before dates” had been invented in 1978. 😂

Can you post a photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back