What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlucky today @dave_77. I was at the game with the young boy
IMG_20220122_140435659_HDR.jpg

Had a bottle of weissbier from @Alastair70 early which was a lovely easy drinking beer, just what I like in a wheat beer, thanks very much!
IMG_20220122_161226789.jpg

IMG_20220122_161240366_HDR.jpg

Just opened a one of my Wherry bottles that I dry hopped but it had a nasty taste and went down the drain, all 2 litres. Not sure what went wrong there as the non dry hopped I opened last week was rather good. Anyway moved onto a Mr President from Brewdog which ain't bad but very boozy at 9.2%
IMG_20220122_211852369.jpg

Time for a guest ale. This one came from @LisaMC and is a 4.6% Vienna Lager.

View attachment 61696

It looks good from the off - crystal clear amber nectar, nicely carbonated.

Aroma is quite low-level being very cold but definitely some grainy-sweet malt, a little spice and maybe just a hint of caramel, otherwise very clean.

The flavours are initially quite complex and difficult to distinguish - a rush of malt, hops, bitterness, sweetness. After a few seconds a spicy hop flavour steps up and fades to a lingering toasty malt flavour. Very nice. The bitterness is quite soft and nicely balanced. Smooth and easy drinking.

Thanks very much Lisa, nice job athumb..

Well I can't get my breath! 😂 💕

plum2.jpeg

Plum porter from @Clint.

Looks gorgeous. Thick tan head, carbonation spot-on. Smells of... plums. Tastes much more of plums than the commercial beer I drank the other day, which had only the barest hint. So the first taste was a bit of a shock. But, an inch and a half down, I think I've adjusted nicely now! :D Mouthfeel and body are great. Smoooth!

Thanks very much for sharing!

I'm drinking a mystery pint! It's an odd one in a swing-top bottle. It must be quite old cos I'm a lot more rigorous these days about labelling swing-tops. It's obviously a bitter, and tasting it, yes I reckon it's from an old batch of my Flakey Bitter. So that would be <checks spreadsheet> 106 days in the bottle. Tastes fine, and carbonation is good, so pleased with that.

View attachment 61711

Plum porter from @Clint.

Looks gorgeous. Thick tan head, carbonation spot-on. Smells of... plums. Tastes much more of plums than the commercial beer I drank the other day, which had only the barest hint. So the first taste was a bit of a shock. But, an inch and a half down, I think I've adjusted nicely now! :D Mouthfeel and body are great. Smoooth!

Thanks very much for sharing!
Glad you liked it! Thanks for your kind review.
Clint

trib.jpeg

Tribute clone, again from @Clint., thanks!

A much nicer drink that it looks in my predictably awful photo (do I need a new phone, or is it my ancient, shaky hands? :D ).. Slight flowery hop aroma. Carbonation; now that's interesting. I don't imagine I'm the first to say that my experience has been that I've tended to slowly reduce the amount of priming I've used as I've sought to refine my process. Last two batches of bitter I've brewed, I've reduced the priming compared to previous iterations. Now this beer, I would say, is at the lower end of the band I would be looking for in a bitter. Not flat, by any means, and if I hold it to the light, I can see bubbles rising through it. So pretty close to where I'm aiming.

Sorry, I was going on a bit there! :D Anyway, what's it taste like? Like a proper bitter, and it's got that bright, clean taste that I like. So a nice, accomplished drink.

Last edited:
View attachment 61717

Tribute clone, again from @Clint., thanks!

A much nicer drink that it looks in my predictably awful photo (do I need a new phone, or is it my ancient, shaky hands? :D ).. Slight flowery hop aroma. Carbonation; now that's interesting. I don't imagine I'm the first to say that my experience has been that I've tended to slowly reduce the amount of priming I've used as I've sought to refine my process. Last two batches of bitter I've brewed, I've reduced the priming compared to previous iterations. Now this beer, I would say, is at the lower end of the band I would be looking for in a bitter. Not flat, by any means, and if I hold it to the light, I can see bubbles rising through it. So pretty close to where I'm aiming.

Sorry, I was going on a bit there! :D Anyway, what's it taste like? Like a proper bitter, and it's got that bright, clean taste that I like. So a nice, accomplished drink.
I'm pleased with the Tribute clone...its nearly there!
Glad you enjoyed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back