What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

So tonight was to be a school night as @samale pointed out but my apprentice tested positive for covid 6 days ago and I’ve had to do tests each day and today’s was positive so this begins a long weekend. So strong Belgian ale is called for.

View attachment 61929
So tonight was to be a school night as @samale pointed out but my apprentice tested positive for covid 6 days ago and I’ve had to do tests each day and today’s was positive so this begins a long weekend. So strong Belgian ale is called for.
Apparently alcohol kills COVID. Well that's what I told my wife 😂

Apparently alcohol kills COVID. Well that's what I told my wife 😂
The best part is I don’t even have to lie. And I can even fall asleep on the sofa cause I don’t have to isolate in my room. Perfect time to catch it.
ps any chance of a care package from gees ?

Sick to death of drinking Kolsch and American IPA, kegged this yesterday brewed it on the 22nd Jan so 6 days ago the CN36 yeast ripped through it in 2 days, mainly because it is difficult to get down to pitching temperature in the weather we are experiencing at the moment. It is my Red Ale, now Brown Ale, I did use a different roast barley for this brew. Never mind Red and Brown are basically the same make up. Cheers Big Ears as Chopper Read's dad would say.
007.JPG

Next a Punk IPA...Brewdog freebies. Rude not to.
I don't consider the money side of it, beer is frankly relatively cheap, as it goes. I think it;s just more that there's an innate pleasure in drinking something you've made yourself that a shop-bought beer can't replicate. And there's a bit more to than that, too...
Think I know what you mean, I'm always immensely satisfied that I can get drunk on beer I brewed myself and really enjoy it. Same thing as when I sit at my dining table I made by hand.. I could buy a better made one but it wouldn't be the same or as much fun making...

Yeast Off: "US-05 vs Hophead" IPAs by @pilgrimhudd

20220128_111636.jpg

I had these side by side last night, a couple of very nicely made IPAs 👍

Clarity is really good which I'm certain is a consequence of @pilgrimhudd starting to dabble in water treatment, and it's great to see how adding a bit of gypsum has such a profound effect.

It's not quite crystal clear, just a tiny bit of hop haze which I reckon is pretty much par for the course after dry hopping unless you use finings.

This means you can see the steady stream of bubbles rising through the glass and hence both pints kept a decent head throughout. And carbonation is bang on for the style.

To be totally honest I'm actually not that keen on the flavour, which is rare for me when it comes to IPAs ☹️ I do like piney-resiney but for me these go beyond that and are just a bit too intense for me.

I did get a bit of fruitiness in the background so I wonder if that has faded bit since packaging. I've used Chinook and Simcoe together a few times so I wonder if somehow it's the El Dorado pushing it over the edge, or something about how the three work together 🤔

I found the Hophead one more intense so for that reason I'd say I prefer the US-05.

But I think either is full of potential and any negatives are purely down to my tastes.

There's a really nice supporting maltiness in the background so I think the grain bill is just right.

All in all I would say do it again exactly the same, just with different hops (such as your 3C's IPA), and I think you've got a winner 👍

Great job, and no question very well made, thanks for sharing 🍻

Yeast Off: "US-05 vs Hophead" IPAs by @pilgrimhudd

View attachment 61948

I had these side by side last night, a couple of very nicely made IPAs 👍

Clarity is really good which I'm certain is a consequence of @pilgrimhudd starting to dabble in water treatment, and it's great to see how adding a bit of gypsum has such a profound effect.

It's not quite crystal clear, just a tiny bit of hop haze which I reckon is pretty much par for the course after dry hopping unless you use finings.

This means you can see the steady stream of bubbles rising through the glass and hence both pints kept a decent head throughout. And carbonation is bang on for the style.

To be totally honest I'm actually not that keen on the flavour, which is rare for me when it comes to IPAs ☹️ I do like piney-resiney but for me these go beyond that and are just a bit too intense for me.

I did get a bit of fruitiness in the background so I wonder if that has faded bit since packaging. I've used Chinook and Simcoe together a few times so I wonder if somehow it's the El Dorado pushing it over the edge, or something about how the three work together 🤔

I found the Hophead one more intense so for that reason I'd say I prefer the US-05.

But I think either is full of potential and any negatives are purely down to my tastes.

There's a really nice supporting maltiness in the background so I think the grain bill is just right.

All in all I would say do it again exactly the same, just with different hops (such as your 3C's IPA), and I think you've got a winner 👍

Great job, and no question very well made, thanks for sharing 🍻

Nice one! Yes funnily enough, (and I didnt think i would) I prefer the US-05 too. Personally never get any fruitiness from simcoe, I was expecting a resiny ipa but your right, think the hops from my 3c's ipa would be nice with this malt bill. 👍

Nice one! Yes funnily enough, (and I didnt think i would) I prefer the US-05 too. Personally never get any fruitiness from simcoe, I was expecting a resiny ipa but your right, think the hops from my 3c's ipa would be nice with this malt bill. 👍
FWIW I had to have a few tries at my Get Even IPA. I kept finding it was coming out nice but grapefruity, rather than the pine-resin I was after. Based on the last effort I think the trick was, rather than blending the hops and adding them together, I used the Chinook just for bittering and at 10mins, then used Simcoe and Columbus in the whirlpool & post fermentation dry hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back