What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottling eve, bottling the London Pride clone tomorrow and having the first taste of my best bitter.

001.JPG

002.JPG

20C is fine for M15. How long did you ferment?

I’m assuming you didn’t do a protein rest?

I always use 1/2 a protofloc tablet at the end of the boil but I’m guessing you didn’t from an earlier comment. I can’t say if my bitter would be hazy without it because I haven’t tried.

I also always skim the hot-break. At the end of the boil I fast-chill and then let the wort rest for the proteins to settle out - these don’t get transferred into the fermenter.

I’m guessing you have an excess of proteins so the above will all help?
No protein rest on the bitter, I did do it in the lager.

I have some Irish moss I bought around 5 years ago that I use occasionally. It sounds like protofloc is the same but more concentrated. I will give them a try.

How long do you wait after cooling before you transfer to the fermenter? I usually cool and whirlpool at the same time to get the wort cooled quickly then I transfer soon after it's down to pitching temps. I am assuming a lot of the proteins are still in suspension and go into the fermenter but all the other leftovers usually get caught in the whirlpool. I have also never skimmed but will give it a go next time.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edit the bitter was fermented for a week and spunded for a few days then I dropped the temps to 10c, It's 21 days old now. I am trying to get a pseudo cask process down with my corny kegs. Everything except the clarity is spot on, actually I take that back I think I need to oxygenate a bit to get those pub cask esters that are so prevalent, but I much prefer it without.

Last edited:
No protein rest on the bitter, I did do it in the lager.

I have some Irish moss I bought around 5 years ago that I use occasionally. It sounds like protofloc is the same but more concentrated. I will give them a try.

How long do you wait after cooling before you transfer to the fermenter? I usually cool and whirlpool at the same time to get the wort cooled quickly then I transfer soon after it's down to pitching temps. I am assuming a lot of the proteins are still in suspension and go into the fermenter but all the other leftovers usually get caught in the whirlpool. I have also never skimmed but will give it a go next time.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edit the bitter was fermented for a week and spunded for a few days then I dropped the temps to 10c, It's 21 days old now. I am trying to get a pseudo cask process down with my corny kegs. Everything except the clarity is spot on, actually I take that back I think I need to oxygenate a bit to get those pub cask esters that are so prevalent, but I much prefer it without.
Yes, Irish moss and protofloc are the same active ingredient.

I also cool and whirlpool but rest the wort before transfer. Resting time depends on what else I’m doing and how long that takes but typically an hour.

M15 can be slow to finish so it’s possible it hadn’t quite finished? I use Liberty Bell and give it 12 days, sometimes longer if the finish date is while I’m away somewhere. All of that time is at 20C, I don’t ever cold crash.

If all else fails you could add a sheet of gelatine to the keg I guess. You could also try the same recipe/process using bottled water to see if your local water is somehow behind the haze.

A couple of IPAs that I've heard good things about on a hot afternoon. Happy weekend folks.
View attachment 73314
arbor do some great beers as do verdant, although I find it easier to get hold of arbor.I also like their 1 pint can yay. Anyone visiting mumbles should try mumbales and cheers for some great takeaways.

arbor do some great beers as do verdant, although I find it easier to get hold of arbor.I also like their 1 pint can yay. Anyone visiting mumbles should try mumbales and cheers for some great takeaways.
I do like the pint cans :) I'll look out for Mumbales next time I'm over that way. These came from Pop 'n' Hops in Cardiff.

I'm now sampling a pilsner. It needs lots more time really but it's quite nice so I'll keep chipping away. I am also smoking up the Weber..again.
I wish I wasn't working tomorrow as I have a little celebrating to do...it'll wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back