What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is quite an indulgence ! And opened like a professional. I love port but that must be something special.
You're not wrong.
I benefitted from the Lloyd's crash Names, by buying their sold-off investments.
I bought them one-by-one on my way home after each night on-call at Margate hospital in the Canterbury Bottom's Up.
I have more - and others similar.

You're not wrong.
I benefitted from the Lloyd's crash Names, by buying their sold-off investments.
I bought them one-by-one on my way home after each night on-call at Margate hospital in the Canterbury Bottom's Up.
I have more - and others similar.
Nice.
curious how long the bottle will last after opening ? Or is it gone in a night ?

Having one of these as I contemplate the recipe. Ordered a bag of boheniam floor malt, but walked out with 3kgs of German pilsber as a first try.
20220422_151250.jpg

Here's the take and a couple of fermenters so I can do some split batch hops and yeast expiriments.

20220422_150943.jpg

Having one of these as I contemplate the recipe. Ordered a bag of boheniam floor malt, but walked out with 3kgs of German pilsber as a first try.
View attachment 67138

Here's the take and a couple of fermenters so I can do some split batch hops and yeast expiriments.

View attachment 67139
Sounds good.
From my recent experience, the flavour and body are far fuller than anything commercial. 👍

oat4.jpeg

First taste of oatmeal stout. After recent constructive criticism in the comp here (I fully agree it wasn't my greatest effort), I tweaked the recipe a bit to try to give it a bit more oomph, both in terms of flavour and mouth-feel. Chocolate comes through nicely but not excessively. Carbonation looks good, there was minimal sediment in the bottle, and I'm sure at 21 days in the bottle there is more improvement in there. I am well pleased. :D

I actually just looked up what I changed from before. Not very sophisticated really :laugh8: , maintain the base malt, and up the quantity of oats, dark malts, and hops a bit.

View attachment 67134

And now for something completely different.
This was intended for Christmas, then Easter,
So tonight it is. Because it is still cold enough.
'85 Dow's.
Bliss.
If anyone is interested, I have "tongs",
hence the separate bottle neck.
Learn something every day. I have a bottle of 1987 vintage but will use a conventional corkscrew or a swift slice with a sword like the do in films! Due to poor storage I don't have high expectations for the taste though!

Learn something every day. I have a bottle of 1987 vintage but will use a conventional corkscrew or a swift slice with a sword like the do in films! Due to poor storage I don't have high expectations for the taste though!
Never despair,
Vintage Port is fairly robust, being that it is fortified with brandy.
Unless it has been 'stood up' for years and the cork totally dried out, that is.
I would suggest completely uncovering the cork top (this will be messy with debris) and they usually have more than one layer of capsule as well.
If you can, before using the corkscrew, carefully (even use leather gloves) run a slim flexible sharp knife (I used to use a fish filleting knife) around between the cork top and the bottle neck, this is where they get most stuck.
In the end, if the cork goes into the bottle and Port, just pour/filter it all through a coffee filter paper, or even twin-ply kitchen roll.
'87 was a 'ripe' year so it may already naturally have gone tawny anyway, so don't be put off by the colour not still being bright red.
Best of luck and hope it's enjoyable.

Never despair,
Vintage Port is fairly robust, being that it is fortified with brandy.
Unless it has been 'stood up' for years and the cork totally dried out, that is.
I would suggest completely uncovering the cork top (this will be messy with debris) and they usually have more than one layer of capsule as well.
If you can, before using the corkscrew, carefully (even use leather gloves) run a slim flexible sharp knife (I used to use a fish filleting knife) around between the cork top and the bottle neck, this is where they get most stuck.
In the end, if the cork goes into the bottle and Port, just pour/filter it all through a coffee filter paper, or even twin-ply kitchen roll.
'87 was a 'ripe' year so it may already naturally have gone tawny anyway, so don't be put off by the colour not still being bright red.
Best of luck and hope it's enjoyable.
Thanks for the advice, I don't have access to the bottle at the moment, but will investigate and try your tips. Cheers! I do fancy trying the Zorro trick though!!

Clear as a bell …

875967A3-243F-4DA3-AA20-9C25F5F566BF.jpeg

… what a crying shame that I expect to finish Keg “A” tomorrow!
aheadbutt aheadbutt

The good news is that I picked up the six “Special Belgian Beers” from Lidl after telling SWMBO that it was “virtually free” on the basis that I would recover some yeast from each bottle.
athumb.. athumb..

Anyway, on to Keg “B” tomorrow and hoping that it’s okay - Inshallah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back