What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotch before😴
IMG_20220520_222713.jpg

Mystic? Never heard of it, what's it like?
Looks like @531Man already answered but it’s one of a number hops being bred in the UK to I presume compete with some of the American and Australian hops. It’s described as an Aroma hop although I used it at the start of the boil as well as a late addition and dry hop. Flavour wise if I’m being honest I would describe the beer I made with it as a ‘generic’ American Pale Ale, fairly bitter with some citrusy orange flavour. Nice enough and I will likely use it again as it’s fairly reasonably priced here in the UK but likewise I wouldn’t go out of my way to purchase it.

We have here two beers - myself and Tetty B or Betty as I like to call him 😂 (@The-Engineer-That-Brews) have sent each other our Hefeweizens and we thought we'd compare the two.

Here are two pictures of them. TETB’s beer is on the left of each photo, and mine is on the right.

View attachment 68743View attachment 68744

My comparisons between the two are:-

The lack of head is apparent in both beers, even though my one has more (possibly too much?) carbonation.

Flavour is similar - I get a ripe or cooked banana in Betty's though and a more fresh banana in mine. I'm putting this down to the extra sweetness in my one. As TETB's warmed, the banana became stronger. I do love banana! Got clove in both beers as well.

There may be something wrong with my nose but I don't get an aroma on either beer.

I must admit I preferred mine before it was carbonated as it was smooth and creamy, and I know that's an odd thing to say. The carbonation seemed to take away some flavour.

Overall, a successful experiment and two quite similar beers!

Thanks for sharing TETB, and for being a good friend also!
Thanks @Tess Tickle and it worked really well to do a side-by-side comparison of the two beers.

I got a bit more head on them when I poured (mine is on the left).
4B8F838C-7BFC-4246-8D5F-1AE3834BCC1D.jpeg

I don’t mind saying that yours is overall much closer to the style: better colour and cleaner flavour (and an excellent label!).
Mine was kegged which definitely hasn‘t done the visual appearance any favours; and also to be honest 19L of Heffe is an awful lot to have hanging around.
Kegging does make it far easier to adjust the carbonation though, and I prefer the softer level on mine which lets the flavour come through better.
Talking of flavour yours is definitely cleaner. As you say, the banana in mine is veering towards over-ripe and as @DocAnna said there’s also a touch of acetone creeping in there.
Mouthfeel of both beers is very good and I think we did a decent job here.
So as I said, your beer is the better one here, but it’s a little “polite”. I do have a guilty enjoyment of the slightly rock and roll character of mine, but I certainly wouldn’t lend it my car…
If (and it’s quite a big ‘if’) I brew this style again, I think I’ll rein back the fermentation temps a bit athumb..

I am joining @Hazelwood Brewery

First taste of the saison. Ignore the big head, gas was set high during storage. A little hazy but I did have to move the keg to tap it. First impressions is it's good. Can do with some conditioning for the yeast to settle and alcohol to die down a bit. Came in at 6.6%

Off out to a music festival shortly that's me done for the day.

Attachments

• 20220521_125400.jpg
    20220521_125400.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
Pliny The Melter trial jar next. Finished at 1.010 for an ABV of 8.1%. The 180 odd IBUs do hide the alcohol well, but catch up on you eventually. Final dry hop in this evening, cold crash commences on Monday morning. Given the 5h1t tonne of hops that have gone in, I’ll be turning the glycol up to 11 and giving it 3 or 4 days.
View attachment 68734
What recipe did you go with

I am joining @Hazelwood Brewery

First taste of the saison. Ignore the big head, gas was set high during storage. A little hazy but I did have to move the keg to tap it. First impressions is it's good. Can do with some conditioning for the yeast to settle and alcohol to die down a bit. Came in at 6.6%

Off out to a music festival shortly that's me done for the day.
It looks a perfect saision. High carbonation and cloudy is to style I believe 🤷‍♂️

What was your feedback from the lab competition. What areas can you improve on
Feedback was that it was too alcoholic but it’s 6% and I don’t get an alcoholic taste so either I not sensitive to the alcoholic taste or the judges managed to convince themselves they could taste something that isn’t there. I don’t know the truth of it but maybe through this swap I’ll find out!

See attached…

Attachments

• Saison.pdf
    996.5 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back