What are you drinking tonight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just found in the back of the shed a cache of old brews that I'd completely forgotten about, a few clone brews (Orval 2 yrs old, Rochefort 3.5 yrs old, Westvleteren 3 yrs old) and my first ever RIS which is currently 4 yrs old. I think a tasting is in order to see how they've aged.

First of all the Orval. This was the last one of these and it aged very well actually, no doubt largely due to the brett. This was one of my fav brews of my own and one I definitely need to revisit soon. There was a slight hint of oxygenation but not enough to spoil it. The dry hop flavour and aroma obviously is mostly gone, but the brett flavours are great. Next up the Westy XII clone...

SS - out of interest what does oxygenation taste like , hopefully I’ve not had it in my beers. But possibly have if I knew what to look out for.

Cheers !
In stronger beers it tends to come across as a sherry flavour, which is quite pleasant in small amounts sometimes. I'm now drinking the Westy though and it has quite a bit of oxidation, the sherry sweetness is too much and does detract from the beer. Overall it actually isn't half bad, but certainly well past its best. This beer was never amazing but it was pretty good about a year or so ago and actually won a silver medal 2 years back.

Beer doesn't last that long round my part. I lack the patience. The longest in the shed is a milk stout. Brewed last October, it's survived due to me not really liking it :roll:

Tried Rheinbacher German Wheat Beer from Aldi as I wanted to try a lot of wheat beers to see if I like them enough to brew it.
Not my usual thing and don't like it. To me it was pretty awful and wouldn't be impressed if I had made it.
I was really after a dark dunkelweis but not found one yet.

IMG_20190501_000841436.jpg

Bit dark for a red rye ale but it tastes good

Tried Rheinbacher German Wheat Beer from Aldi as I wanted to try a lot of wheat beers to see if I like them enough to brew it.
Not my usual thing and don't like it. To me it was pretty awful and wouldn't be impressed if I had made it.
I have recently found an old recipe for an Altbier from Dusseldorf area which I have made and after 6 weeks I’m a complete convert beautiful taste

Well I just found in the back of the shed a cache of old brews that I'd completely forgotten about, a few clone brews (Orval 2 yrs old, Rochefort 3.5 yrs old, Westvleteren 3 yrs old) and my first ever RIS which is currently 4 yrs old. I think a tasting is in order to see how they've aged.

First of all the Orval. This was the last one of these and it aged very well actually, no doubt largely due to the brett. This was one of my fav brews of my own and one I definitely need to revisit soon. There was a slight hint of oxygenation but not enough to spoil it. The dry hop flavour and aroma obviously is mostly gone, but the brett flavours are great. Next up the Westy XII clone...
Tonight I've cracked open the 3.5 Yr old Rochefort 8 clone. This has aged surprisingly well, nowhere near as much oxidation as the Westy clone and it actually tastes more like a Rochefort than it ever did before. It's a little thinner and the flavours aren't as big but it's definitely on the right track. This one was a pleasant surprise :beer1:

Currently on one of my own Dortmunder export, which to be honest is rather like a slightly harsh supermarket own brand lager .....
It uses pale and Munich light malt, with a little Columbus for bittering and Hallertauer Mittelfruh for all the rest of additions...
Nevermind !
Have got a can of "Loch Lomand" pale ale in the 'fridge - so things may improve....

Hey all...

Tonight is my beer night and it's payday... Any suggestions on what to have, I must add that I'm also having home made lasagna so anything that will compliment the meal is a bonus

Just settled for whatever was cheap in Asda after work seeing I finished later than expected and missed my train aheadbuttacheers.

Attachments

• 15568315472204944593759490125598.jpg
    15568315472204944593759490125598.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 66
Long drive from London to Anglesey today. Arrived 45 minutes ago and I’ve already pounded a Glaslyn Ale and half a Snowdonia Ale from the Purple Moose brewery in Porthmadog. Lovely beers, we had polypins from them when we got married up here. Looks to me like they may be filtering and force carbing whereas when I was last here they were bottle conditioned, though I may be wrong on that.

The Kent/ Bruges crossover Tripel that was the first ever recipe I somewhat ambitiously concocted myself shortly after taking up the hobby last year. I had kind of given up on this but do you know what, a year in and it is finally showing some promise. With a year's more experience under my belt I would say that there were probably some 'hot' alcohol flavours originally and also I reckon I Maillarded {new verb} the wort. Also no head to speak of at all. But I'm enjoying it and tha'ts all that matters (which is just as well as there is another 30 to get through).
Tripel.jpg

20190503_165014-1.jpg Treated myself to a few fancy beers for my b'day today. First up is Cloudwater all season ipa.
Lovely intense hoppiness and that brilliant Cloudwater mouthfeel.
Yum

Happy birthday Dan! You’re in good company, it’s my son’s 4th birthday today. More beers bought by my mother in law today, nice bitter from Thomas Watkins brewery in Swansea.

it is meh it's not just you athumb.., erdinger is better, or schneider & sohn. Fransikaner is the most tasteless of the easy to get hold of wheats.

Long drive from London to Anglesey today. Arrived 45 minutes ago and I’ve already pounded a Glaslyn Ale and half a Snowdonia Ale from the Purple Moose brewery in Porthmadog. Lovely beers, we had polypins from them when we got married up here. Looks to me like they may be filtering and force carbing whereas when I was last here they were bottle conditioned, though I may be wrong on that.

Their dark side of the moose is a super session beer IMO. clapa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back