What are you drinking tonight.

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by LarryF, May 29, 2015.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 20, 2018 #21

Lawrence22

Lawrence22

Lawrence22

Regular.

I tweaked it a bit. Short brewed to 18 litres with 500g of extra light spray malt and 150g dextrose, then I dry hopped it with 25g of centennial.

2. Jan 20, 2018 #22

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Landlord. Supporting Member

Fruh Kolsch. Bit of a change of pace after having drunk hop bombs, dark beers and Belgians for a few months. A nice beer, very clean flavour but not a ton going on to my potentially slightly overwhelmed palette

3. Jan 20, 2018 #23

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    Rye kolsch. Probably prefer it without the the though to be honest but its a nice crisp beer. Spiciness reminds me of saison yeast.

4. Jan 20, 2018 #24

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Picked up a brew dog slot machine red rye ipa earlier and my mate informs me he is fetching round a keg of Adnams ipa....plus hb of course!

Portreath and Chippy_Tea like this.
  5. Jan 20, 2018 #25

stigman

stigman

stigman

Landlord.

Next up was another sour, lambic stout blended thing very nice indeed. Tilquin/rulles Stout rullquin. A nice complex beer slight roastynes with chocolate and sour cherries little bit of acetic.
    COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
    Beer of mixed fermentation, the Stout Rullquin is obtained from a blending of 7/8 of Rulles Brune (Stout de Gaume) and 1/8 of a blend of 1 year old lambics, which has matured for 8 months on oak barrels. Unfiltered and unpasteurized, this beer is refermented for 6 months in the bottle. Ingredients : water, malt, wheat, hops, sugar, inverted sugar, yeast.
    The little dude is still asleep I might get pissed at this rate. DSC_0917.JPG

Ajhutch likes this.
  6. Jan 20, 2018 #26

Poochops

Poochops

Poochops

Landlord.

Alcohol free berlinerweisse. Not pleasant.

7. Jan 20, 2018 #27

stigman

stigman

stigman

Landlord.

Currently sipping this absolute beast of a beer. Jule maelk from TO OL (can't find that weird o with a line through it) 15% imperial milk stout. I don't know where to start with this one it's bitter sweet and boozy totally unbalanced but totally right. Chocolate roasty molasses and coffee so much going on in your mouth all at once. If you can, try this you won't regret it. DSC_0918.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. Jan 21, 2018 #28

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

Had some of my elderberry wine. Smells really nice like a commercial red wine. I guess that's the oak chips i think i added. Body is thick, has some legs. Very dark, FG was 1000. Not enough elderberry taste and grape dominant due to all the concentrate and juice i added but very impressed. Its like blood. I wish i had more. The yeast cake was totally compacted after 3months in garage. I will buy a full size glass dj this year if i can collect enough berries. Think its about 15% ABV now. I am impressed as it already tastes mature.

Dutto and Poochops like this.
  9. Jan 21, 2018 #29

Poochops

Poochops

Poochops

Landlord.

@BeerCat Sounds like it was a real success, care to share your method and recipe? I fancy having a bash at a wine this year and there's a great spot near me for gathering them.

10. Jan 23, 2018 #30

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Last night I was at a meeting and had a half each of the three Batemans Cask Ales. i.e. Gold, XB and XXXB.

The XB (one of my favourites) came out top again, the XXXB was "okay" but I didn't particularly like their Gold on the basis that the grapefruit flavour was so dominant.

All of them are worth a try and to find out why they taste like they do please refer to their website ...

http://www.bateman.co.uk/our+brewery/our+brews/classic+cask+beers :gulp:

11. Jan 23, 2018 #31

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Hi!
    The Marston's Pedigree Amber ale is bottle conditioned - they've got it at Lidl.

Chippy_Tea and Dutto like this.
  12. Jan 23, 2018 #32

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Hi!
    Graham Wheeler's book has a recipe for Bateman's XXXB.

Dutto likes this.
  13. Jan 23, 2018 #33

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

We picked about 10l FV of elderberries with stalks and leaves on. Could of done with more but was near the end of the season. Then you take the berries off with either a fork or fingers. Gloves and old clothes recommended. They were washed them and frozen for a few weeks. Then you defrost them and mash with a potato masher. To that i added 2 small bottles of red grape concentrate and 3 or 4 liters of red grape juice, juice of a lemon and some table sugar to bring up the ABV. I cant remember exactly what yeast i used , think it was cml red wine or port but i forgot to write it down. You need a high alcohol yeast if possible. I was aiming for around 16% which i managed to get. I left it for a month then strained into a DJ as close to the top as possible. I left that 3 months then racked again and had a glass. There is no problem leaving the berries in all that time but i did ferment about 7 liters so after racking i could have a full DJ. Going to fortify some of it with brandy. Definitely making more next year.

Edit; I forgot to say i racked onto oak chips for a while and then racked again. I probably could of just left it longer on the oak though and not bothered. I think i used medium french oak that was like sawdust.

14. Jan 23, 2018 #34

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

just done my january beer shed stocktake :nerd:
    so a few samples required for later.

stone ipa, yassim, duvelex and a goudenbrand.

I now have 166 bottles - 108 empties.
    out of the 166 41 are commercials (18 being fruity beers for my girls)

So I'm down to my last 125 bottles of HB.... yikes!

Looks like my simple EKG bitter will be ready to bottle on Thursday :thumb:

15. Jan 23, 2018 #35

Poochops

Poochops

Poochops

Landlord.

@BeerCat thanks for that, bookmarked for the summer! did the oak come through nicely? Will be keeping my eye out for a good price on concentrate and GJ in the meantime.

16. Jan 23, 2018 #36

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Brew dog slot machine red rye ipa....don’t mind this at all.
    :birthday:

17. Jan 23, 2018 #37

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

Yes definitely come through. Lovely smell from it. I think i only used 10g in a dj.

Poochops likes this.
  18. Jan 24, 2018 #38

sdt7618

sdt7618

sdt7618

Landlord.

Just picket up a few bottles of brewdog santas paws, on sale at morrisons. 60p each, and given there is no late addition hops should be ok still also a 660ml of slot machine. hopefully will enjoy it as much as Clint did.

19. Jan 24, 2018 #39

Graz

Graz

Graz

Landlord.

So the wife slipped on some ice last week whilst taking the kids to school, double fracture to the ankle, surgery to pin it all back, now back home and not able to do much. Me - very stressed trying to fit in looking after a 4 & 6 year old, doing school runs, washing, cooking, shopping, housework, and somehow trying to hold down a full time job. Been having a little drink most evenings once I've finally done everything. I did at least manage to keg my latest brew last night.

Last night couple of G&Ts (there was a bottle of tonic open) whilst doing the dinner, and a couple of glasses of WGJ and Apple WOW to wash dinner down.

20. Jan 24, 2018 #40

sdt7618

sdt7618

sdt7618

Landlord.

That doesn't sound like fun mate, hope your wife gets back on both feet soon.

Slid likes this.