What are you drinking tonight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a hard day fishing I'm thrashing up a Madras...I've had three out the keg... muntons Belgian which had cleared beautifully and isn't awful! My next is a 4 week bottled DIY Amarillo pale...such joy! Bitter, aromatic, delicious,juicy....

After an evening run, had a couple at the local (one a rather dry alt bier, the other a house special brewed by Moorhouse's). My daughter cooked a cracking curry at school today, so just polished off my portion. It was so good she's been nominated chief curry chef in our house the next month. A pint of Cumberland Ale clone (only two bottles left) to go with the curry.
Sated now, time for bed.

The very last bottle of an Old Tom clone that I added the fag end of last year's frozen blackberries to bring the pitching temps down. It was bottled just a few days over year ago.
It was always a bit harsh, this beer, and still is a bit harsh, even now, but this bottle is the best of the batch. It came out around 9%

A pint of my 'Outback Ale', a very easy drinking balanced golden ale with Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy hops.

ZUI27QT.jpg

I'll post a full recipe for this one soon. This keg won't last long!

Last edited:
That,Sir,looks mighty splendid ...and in a Dutto glass too!
Myself has chanced a muntons Belgian. .again,plus a saison which is coming along nicely then maybe an Amarillo pale.

That,Sir,looks mighty splendid ...and in a Dutto glass too!
Myself has chanced a muntons Belgian. .again,plus a saison which is coming along nicely then maybe an Amarillo pale.
Any chance of the recipe for your Amarillo pale Clint? The single hop I made with it was foul.
Something must have gone wrong or the recipe was just ****.

Last night I tried two commercial NEIPAs.

Thornbridge Green Mountain - more bitter and less juicy than I expected. Not a bad beer, but a poor NEIPA.

Brewdog Cybernaught - specifically sold as a sessionable NEIPA, and it shows. A little underwhelming if you're after a proper NEIPA, but it is sessionable so I suppose they have achieved their aim.

If you're after a proper, full-blown NEIPA then I suspect these will disappoint.

Who knows!? At a budget All Inclusive resort in Sharm El Sheikh and although everything comes out of an Egyptian Stella bottle the taste, IBU and ABV are totally different.. One tastes/looks like it has vodka/ethanol added, the other is a usual lager (taste, head retention etc) ..

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_113059.jpg
    IMG_20181020_113059.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20181020_120653_833.JPG
    IMG_20181020_120653_833.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 47
I tried the Laguanitas 12th of Never pale ale last night and was very pleasantly surprised. Never a fan of their IPA but this was nice, a very pale, citrusy hop-forward beer. My only criticism is that I would have toned down the IBUs a touch but I would definitely buy it again while I have no HB stocks.

Amarillo pale...
3.8 kg pale malt
227g crystal
181g wheat
181g oats (supermarket )
181g flaked maize
20g apollo @ 60
15g Amarillo @ 10
28g Amarillo @ 80 (flame out)
Dry hop 57g Amarillo...do more if you like!
Boil 1 hour. Mash 1 hour @ 66
IBU 50,OG 1040,FG 1010.
Batch primed 120g dextrose.
My efficiency is around 65/69 so this comes out around 4% you may get higher...or just add more base malt.
I used CML American ale yeast but 05 or similar would be fine. Do go with a bigger dry hop though I think I was just using stuff up! It's a nice pint.

Tempest Long White Cloud and Armadillo, with a Brooklyn East IPA to follow.

Long White Cloud is disappointing, I much prefer Tempest’s other 2 beers (Armadillo and Session).

C
Amarillo pale...
3.8 kg pale malt
227g crystal
181g wheat
181g oats (supermarket )
181g flaked maize
20g apollo @ 60
15g Amarillo @ 10
28g Amarillo @ 80 (flame out)
Dry hop 57g Amarillo...do more if you like!
Boil 1 hour. Mash 1 hour @ 66
IBU 50,OG 1040,FG 1010.
Batch primed 120g dextrose.
My efficiency is around 65/69 so this comes out around 4% you may get higher...or just add more base malt.
I used CML American ale yeast but 05 or similar would be fine. Do go with a bigger dry hop though I think I was just using stuff up! It's a nice pint.
Cheers Clint.

Another two on the will buy again list.

Riggwelter is a beer I have cloned twice and will do so again. The commercial beer almost as good as mine :laugh8:. My first few pints were at a pre Xmas lunch at the back end of 2016. Good example of a Porter.

I read somewhere that a Riggwelter is a sheep that has been turned on its back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back