What are you drinking tonight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 21988 nothing exciting in the pub...got this on just now at home... seriously looks rubbish..sludge! I've emailed them...
That looks absolutely shocking. A few years ago I bought some Haymaker IPA 4 bottles I drank 3 and reading the labels noticed they were out of date, took the remaining one back and got a refund for the 4 Haymaker's the manager gave me a complimentary bottle of a beer called Monkey Grip, the should have called it Monkey Pish, had a taste outside the shop and promptly took it back in and asked to swap it for the out of date Haymaker.

Drinking an East coast IPA clone tonight, good balance of hops and malt with just a slightly bitter aftertaste.
009.JPG

Don't think I've had a smoked lager before. The smokiness is surprisingly intense for such a pale beer but it's quite good. Couldn't drink a gallon of it though.View attachment 21850
That's interesting. I love smoked beer- probably due to rolling up Old Holborn until about 12 years ago. The only beer I buy for myself is a smoked beer from Bamberg. I still have to buy Duvel Citra for the Wise One, of course. Can't keep up with production the way she necks it down. Takes too long to condition.
Interestingly, while Schlenkerla make a number of smoked beers, including a smoked wheat beer and including a smoked alcohol-free beer, their lager doesn't use smoked malt. Looks like I'll have to make my own.

Last edited:
Email had the fellas name followed by MBREW..
Anyway..the beer looked sludgy due to "being unfiltered and getting a haze from being stored warm ."

Had 3 pints of this the other day. I forgot to post the photo. It was very tasty...
20191218_125038.jpg

Got a few of these tonight from my local craft brewer , literally a couple of miles away. Decent American style ipa View attachment 22006
Wish I could get hold of a can or two. I've a mate in Blighty who considered it the best beer at two or three beer festivals. I've brewed some up as there's a recipe in the CAMRA book (where the grain bill is miles to high for the OG, by the way), twice, in fact, and it's a lovely pint, but I'd like to know what it's supposed to taste like. Mine's bright, by the way, and I see yours has poured cloudy.

Email had the fellas name followed by MBREW..
Anyway..the beer looked sludgy due to "being unfiltered and getting a haze from being stored warm ."
Haze from being stored warm???
That's a pretty poor response. There's a big difference between sludge and haze.
Think I'd rather be drinking this cwtch kit. Started 3 weeks ago and packaged (force carbed) a week ago.
Its quite bitter and not very hoppy but has exceeded expectations for a kit.
20191223_174636.jpg

IMG_20191223_182338.jpg
after last night's Cwtch disappointment in trying this...not bad at all,and miles better than the two pints of Bud at the bowling alley I just had...also been to see Star Wars...truly epic!
I am now roasting a gammon thing Mrs Clint bought....

Wish I could get hold of a can or two. I've a mate in Blighty who considered it the best beer at two or three beer festivals. I've brewed some up as there's a recipe in the CAMRA book (where the grain bill is miles to high for the OG, by the way), twice, in fact, and it's a lovely pint, but I'd like to know what it's supposed to taste like. Mine's bright, by the way, and I see yours has poured cloudy.
yes quite cloudy but well balanced & very quaffable. La plaine sur mer is a favourite place for us in Brittany, what’s the beer scene like?

yes quite cloudy but well balanced & very quaffable. La plaine sur mer is a favourite place for us in Brittany, what’s the beer scene like?
I don't really know, to be honest. La plaine sur mer is in Loire Atlantique which is more Dutto's stamping ground. (Anybody seen Dutto?). In my opinion, the beer scene's isn't brilliant around these parts and if you can get a decent pint, for example of Proper Job in Nantes, it's going to cost you deep in the pocket. Load's of new micro-brewery "startups" starting up, but the beer isn't all that good. More image and marketing than good beer.

@foxy
I googled "bung" but found nothing jumping out for correct meaning above so can you give me a definition on that?
As far as cauliflower cheese or cheese and onion pie, I'm not familiar with it.
I checked out some Australian recipes for those two dishes/same dish with different ingredients and they look good, and something I would make. The one thing I can't tell is if they're authentic Australian style or not. Anything with cauliflower gets my vote. I do a cauliflower, sour cream, cheese casserole and it is well received.

@foxy
I googled "bung" but found nothing jumping out for correct meaning above so can you give me a definition on that?
As far as cauliflower cheese or cheese and onion pie, I'm not familiar with it.
I checked out some Australian recipes for those two dishes/same dish with different ingredients and they look good, and something I would make. The one thing I can't tell is if they're authentic Australian style or not. Anything with cauliflower gets my vote. I do a cauliflower, sour cream, cheese casserole and it is well received.
Bung is slang for cheese, believed to be a cause of constipation. Cauliflower Cheese and Cheese & Onion pie I believe is from the mother country, a lot of recipes in New Zealand and Australia are from the Empire days. Something which the USA missed out on, when they decided to go it alone.;)
I also do a cauliflower or broccoli soup with blue cheese.

Second tasting of my Baltic Porter, I forecast it wouldn't see the New Year, pulled that back to Boxing day. Robust toastiness mixed with dark fruit, chocolate and a hint of licorice. Amusing thing is if I told my family it is a dark lager they probably wouldn't touch it.
001.JPG

IMG_20191224_161103283.jpg
First guzzle of my first attempt at a Brewdog recipe for their Punk IPA. Made a couple of (age related.... don't ask) mistakes during the brew but still looks ok to drink! Waste not want not. Merry Christmas to one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back