What are you reading ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I watch a little telly at Christmas but like nothing better than to sit down with a book, after digesting another
meal slumped in my armchair with a festive tot.
These are a couple I was gifted ( by my daughters who know me so well - mushrooms and science fiction ! )
which will keep me going, what will anyone else be reading ?
IMG_2020-12-26-11-32-58-080.jpg
IMG_2020-12-26-12-00-58-726.jpg

I have lots of books..about lots of different things but mainly fishing,metal detecting/history/finds identification/local history/coins,natural history,I like local old maps,books on dogs,cats,gardening...and brewing!
I never seem to settle on one but have a few on the go scattered about and pick up randomly...

'The hand of Captain Danjou' About the French Foreign Legion in Mexico, in a hacienda 4 or 6 legionairres left, out of ammo and 2,000 Mexicans waiting outside.
What do they do, fix bayonets and charge! Captain Danjou's prosthetic wooden hand is in a shrine in France.

'Empress Dowager Cixi' The rise from concubine to Empress, an insight to life in China's last imperial dynasty.

1609151420402.jpeg

"The Brewer's Tale is for anyone who, drinking a beer, has wondered how the past tasted. Part travelogue, part history, part culinary adventure, beer critic William Bostwick uncovers the stories behind the brewers who have practiced their craft since the dawn of civilization: farmers, priests, revolutionaries and more. Beer by beer from Babylonian date-and-honey ale to shamanistic Viking grog Bostwick tells a history of the world through the brewer s eyes, unearthing recipes from poems and potsherds to re-create these beers and their long-lost flavours. Jumping through time as he weaves ancient lore with today s craft scene, Bostwick meets adventurous brewers some celebrated, others eccentric unknowns who share his path, trading insight, recipes and ingredients like homegrown hops and wild, Nile Delta yeast. This is history told in the glass, from tongue-numbing mead to sour pediococcus-laced lambic. The Brewer's Tale celebrates the beers of ages past, some forgotten until now."

I was given "The Forager's Calendar: A Seasonal Guide to Nature’s Wild Harvests", and turned a few pages last night.

Really only get the chance to read when I go to bed.
Currently re-reading "Weaveworld", an early Clive Barker novel. That bloke has a seriously weird mind.
This will be followed by Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" - a gift from my son. Loved the film, but the book looks quite hard going...

Love Clive Barkers short stories but can't get into his big novels.

Currently re-reading "Weaveworld", an early Clive Barker novel. That bloke has a seriously weird mind.
This will be followed by Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" - a gift from my son. Loved the film, but the book looks quite hard going...

Read and enjoyed both those books though a long time ago, recently read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman that works along similar lines to Weaveworld.

Lots of other interesting looking books posted that I'd happily get stuck into, particularly the brewing ones.
I picked up Brew your own british Real Ale by Graham Wheeler in a charity shop a few weeks ago, which I've dipped into but mean to give my full attention to in the new year with a mind to progressing to at least BIAB.

I like autobiographies as well, got my other half the new one by John Cooper Clarke, "I wanna be yours" which
I'll read as soon as she's done with it

The Homebrew forum...! :laugh8:
In all seriousness I’ve started to re-read the bible aka John Palmers How to Brew

Weirdest book I ever read, years ago was The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski, not surprised he ended up topping himself. I remember finishing the book and thinking well, they could never make a movie out of that. Stone me if they didn't make a movie about it in 2019!

Enjoyed this book by Sebastian Barry. Also now a movie.
1609183803411.png

Not according to the book jacket notes; this chap is a historian, who was also in CAMRA, so I don't think it's the same guy. Unless he's very modest. :laugh8:
I was thinking of Brian Glover who played dimwit Cyril Heslop in Porridge. "I read a book once, it was green"

Latest posts

Back