What are you reading ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of Brian Glover who played dimwit Cyril Heslop in Porridge. "I read a book once, it was green"
He was also in a series in the 80's, as the neighbour (or flat underneath) of a female private detective (I think) played by an actress I had the major hots for.

God, my memory is shot!

*Edit* It was 'Anna Lee', staring Imogen Stubbs, and it was in 93, not the 80's. But, Imogen Stubbs..... Hubba Hubba....

View attachment 38466
"The Brewer's Tale is for anyone who, drinking a beer, has wondered how the past tasted. Part travelogue, part history, part culinary adventure, beer critic William Bostwick uncovers the stories behind the brewers who have practiced their craft since the dawn of civilization: farmers, priests, revolutionaries and more. Beer by beer from Babylonian date-and-honey ale to shamanistic Viking grog Bostwick tells a history of the world through the brewer s eyes, unearthing recipes from poems and potsherds to re-create these beers and their long-lost flavours. Jumping through time as he weaves ancient lore with today s craft scene, Bostwick meets adventurous brewers some celebrated, others eccentric unknowns who share his path, trading insight, recipes and ingredients like homegrown hops and wild, Nile Delta yeast. This is history told in the glass, from tongue-numbing mead to sour pediococcus-laced lambic. The Brewer's Tale celebrates the beers of ages past, some forgotten until now."
that what I was given for xmas + craft beer for the people and beer by design

Just finished reading;
IMG_20201229_102043.jpg

I want to go to Brussels now, not much chance of that any time soon. Interesting read though.

Got this brewing book for Christmas so just started working my way through it.
IMG_20201229_102004.jpg

1609248456557.png
1609248475541.png

Currently making my way through these two. I received the set of four 'Brewing Elements' books for Xmas and started on this one. Have also been working my way through some of my old books, including the full set of Malcolm Pryce novels.

View attachment 38532 View attachment 38533

Currently making my way through these two. I received the set of four 'Brewing Elements' books for Xmas and started on this one. Have also been working my way through some of my old books, including the full set of Malcolm Pryce novels.
The Malcolm Pryce novels are very good. I've read all of them.
What is the Malt book like? I have had the yeast one for awhile and found it very useful. I got the hop one for Christmas, I may put the malt and water ones on my birthday list.

The Malcolm Pryce novels are very good. I've read all of them.
What is the Malt book like? I have had the yeast one for awhile and found it very useful. I got the hop one for Christmas, I may put the malt and water ones on my birthday list.
I'm not very far into it yet, but have found it easy to read so far. It seems to be focussed more heavily on growing, malting and milling than on brewhouse activities, but I suppose that is useful to learn too.

The 21 Escapes of Lt Alastair Cram by David M Goss.
Fantastic story of an extraordinary and clearly v modest man.
Recommended if you like war stories, or even if you don't usuallyathumb..

I just finished (again) Tanith Lee's "Tales of the Flat Earth",

got this one for my Xmas:
IMG_4448.jpg

Also busy on "The Art of War: Great Commanders of the Ancient World",
should continue "Titan" from Stephen Baxter (heavy reading through all the technical details and intricate descriptions of both people, situations and things general)
Will next probably start re-reading the "Lyonesse" cycle from Jack Vance.

Have read all the Ian Rankin novels, Rebus especially a favourite, got into toasted cheese sandwiches reading these, (and speaking in a Scottish accent) . Have come across another author of good psychological thrillers Michael Robotham, Australian, but one would think he was a 'to and from' reading his books. I have just finished a fourth book of his and ordered another. Hard to put down after about 60% through.

Struggling through the Cornelius Chronicles by Michael Moorcroft, I think I prefer his short stories.
It's an engaging read, the protagonist being a sort of 60's counterculture James Bond type anti-hero.
It is more pyschi-fi than sci fi, keep thinking this would make an amazing screenplay.
IMG_2021-01-23-21-11-17-938.jpg

Struggling through the Cornelius Chronicles by Michael Moorcroft, I think I prefer his short stories.
It's an engaging read, the protagonist being a sort of 60's counterculture James Bond type anti-hero.
It is more pyschi-fi than sci fi, keep thinking this would make an amazing screenplay.

The Elric of Melniboné books were excellent as I recall.

Back