What BBQ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kamodo? Isn’t that what people used at night before indoor toilets?

Aldi Kamodo BBQ returns -

Search online and you’ll find that a Large Big Green Egg with shelves will set you back £1,415 which poses a problem for the budget-conscious barbecuer until now that is, Aldi’s cheeky rival to the Big Green Egg (the Kamado) can pull off the same culinary tricks for just £349.99! It’s happy cooking fish, grilling meat and baking bread and pizza – you can even use it for desserts. We’re told it does a mean Victoria sponge, and isn’t too shabby at apple strudel, either.

1619289869623.png
1619289913713.png

Still looking for a Weber at the right price...interestingly the gas models come with a patio gas regulator and Weber state if you use any other gas including the same propane that's in a red bottle your warranty is void. To use the red bottle it's a matter of swapping out the regulator. Plus the red bottle propane is much cheaper than the green...
Can’t see the point having a gas barbecue , might as well cook in the house.
Still looking for a Weber at the right price...interestingly the gas models come with a patio gas regulator and Weber state if you use any other gas including the same propane that's in a red bottle your warranty is void. To use the red bottle it's a matter of swapping out the regulator. Plus the red bottle propane is much cheaper than the green...
[/QUOT

I wont disagree that charcoal is best, but its nonsense to say you might aswell cook in the house as use a gas bbq. I cant get results even close using any cooking method in my kitchen.

Can’t see the point having a gas barbecue , might as well cook in the house.
The point is I cook curry outside...and for those that keep quoting BBQ...isn't it correct that BBQ is cooked indirectly..not over the heat source,cooking directly over the fire is grilling.Also why is it if gas BBQ's are so rubbish that theyre used on a big prize American competition programme I've watched a few times which challenges owners of BBQ restaurants etc to cook the best food. I think the Americans know a thing or two about BBQ...

I wont disagree that charcoal is best, but its nonsense to say you might aswell cook in the house as use a gas bbq. I cant get results even close using any cooking method in my kitchen.
Maybe I am wrong but surly grilling using a gas grill in the house on your cooker gives very similar results to cooking on a gas barbecue, or am I missing something. Must admit never used a gas barbecue so could be well out with my assumption, me and the better half have a smoker come barbecue down on our allotment and find I’d amazing for cooking on especially when smoking and using different flavoured wood chunks

The point is I cook curry outside...and for those that keep quoting BBQ...isn't it correct that BBQ is cooked indirectly..not over the heat source,cooking directly over the fire is grilling.Also why is it if gas BBQ's are so rubbish that theyre used on a big prize American competition programme I've watched a few times which challenges owners of BBQ restaurants etc to cook the best food. I think the Americans know a thing or two about BBQ...
Put it this way. If I rock up to your house for a BBQ and you have a big rack of ribs on your GAS BBQ. All will be left is the bones 🤣

Maybe I am wrong but surly grilling using a gas grill in the house on your cooker gives very similar results to cooking on a gas barbecue, or am I missing something. Must admit never used a gas barbecue so could be well out with my assumption, me and the better half have a smoker come barbecue down on our allotment and find I’d amazing for cooking on especially when smoking and using different flavoured wood chunks
Nothing in my house (electric grill or grill pan on gas hob) comes close, so I would have to invest in something new.

My gas barbecue flares up and flames the food, (found out to my cost yesterday as I over charred a rack of ribs) gives it proper grill bar marks etc. I dont really know what else I can expect from a barbecue, but I cant deliver those things from my kitchen.

Nothing in my house (electric grill or grill pan on gas hob) comes close, so I would have to invest in something new.

My gas barbecue flares up and flames the food, (found out to my cost yesterday as I over charred a rack of ribs) gives it proper grill bar marks etc. I dont really know what else I can expect from a barbecue, but I cant deliver those things from my kitchen.
So horses for courses then mate , can’t fault you for that👍

Never said they where rubbish, as I said never used one but have had snap cooked on one at one of my lads place and couldn’t tell the difference between a burger and other meats cooked on it to stuff that’s been grilled in the house, in fact he’s got rid now and purchased an all singing and dancing American jobby that actually feed pellets automatically in to the burner after setting the temperature control and the food tastes amazing; but at a cost, around 15 hundred quid

So horses for courses then mate , can’t fault you for that👍
Iv always said that the increase in return for using charcoal is outweighed by the convenience and hence, higher volume of use, of the gas one.

In an ideal world id have both. I have a charcoal water smoker too, so I recognise that charcoal is slightly better, but the reality is it would probably mean 50% of the barbecues per year and thats not acceptable 😂

@Clint I've had my eye on this BBQ for a while. I do like the look of the Outbacks. And as an added bonus it has a charcoal basket so you can appease the BBQ police. No side burner though, is that where you do the majority of your cooking?

...isn't it correct that BBQ is cooked indirectly..not over the heat source...

Spot on Clint. A whole carcass would be cooked in a pit by the Pitmaster (one of the enslaved African Americans would be spared field duties and left to look after the cooking). The term BBQ has since expanded to also cover direct cooking of smaller cuts from bigger beasts.

Gas BBQ grilling is no different from charcoal grilling, but it’s a world away from an indoor cooker with an overhead grill. With both gas and charcoal, the bar temperature is much hotter so more Maillard reaction occurs on the surface of the meat and fat dripping onto the heat source underneath combusts to add a smoke character to the cook. The only addition that charcoal can add is the additional flavours the burning fuel can add. So, cheap B&Q briquettes make your burgers taste like petrol while single variety lump woods add their own aromas and flavour notes to complement the cook. If your doing low ‘n slow then that effect is amplified.

Charcoal is a bit like yeast; gas BBQ’ing or a basic hardwood blend lumpwood is like brewing with a neutral ale yeast and you get to appreciate your ingredients to their full. Aromatic single variety lumpwoods offer a similar diversity in end flavours and should be treated like any other ingredient.

Last edited:
Spot on Clint. A whole carcass would be cooked in a pit by the Pitmaster (one of the enslaved African Americans would be spared field duties and left to look after the cooking). The term BBQ has since expanded to also cover direct cooking of smaller cuts from bigger beasts.

Gas BBQ grilling is no different from charcoal grilling, but it’s a world away from an indoor cooker with an overhead grill. With both gas and charcoal, the bar temperature is much hotter so more Maillard reaction occurs on the surface of the meat and fat dripping onto the heat source underneath combusts to add a smoke character to the cook. The only addition that charcoal can add is the additional flavours the burning fuel can add. So, cheap B&Q briquettes make your burgers taste like petrol while single variety lump woods add their own aromas and flavour notes to complement the cook. If your doing low ‘n slow then that effect is amplified.

Charcoal is a bit like yeast; gas BBQ’ing or a basic hardwood blend lumpwood is like brewing with a neutral ale yeast and you get to appreciate your ingredients to their full. Aromatic single verity lumpwoods offer a similar diversity in end flavours and should be treated like any other ingredient.
Outstanding post

Well they look decidedly yummy! What marinade/rub did you use?
Please see attached. I made up a dry rub first. I use this rub for pork and chicken. I put it on the chicken 6 hours before. The Spatchcock chicken was on the BBQ for about 1 hour and 20 mins. The drum sticks were on for about 50 mins. I brushed on some good quality BBQ sauce for the last 15 to 20 minutes of the cooking. The chicken was very succulent and absolutely delicious.

Attachments

• 447BBF81-BFDA-4704-B38B-93AF2D03992B.jpeg
    447BBF81-BFDA-4704-B38B-93AF2D03992B.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 66
  • E5ABE161-186E-46A0-BDF3-1CDE992A63B4.jpeg
    E5ABE161-186E-46A0-BDF3-1CDE992A63B4.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 68
Back