What BBQ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a broil king with a rotisserie which we use a lot and it's great when we have people round. Did a great full brisket for a party when we were alowed one, burnt ends were to die for. Feeding some chunks of oak for smoke (like the charcoal fans 😉).

Cooking on charcoal is great but more involved. Trying to move at the minute, if we do I plan to build a complementing charcoal bbq & wood oven (big plans). But when its a burger party ill be cooking on gas.

20170805_175803.jpg
Archway BBQ, Got one myself, love it, based on a Cypriot bbq.
I've also got 2 different Webers, a wood fired oven and a hot smoker, they all get used regularly, but my favourite is the Archway.
We use the smokey Joe Weber the most, it's a tiny Weber that's great for the 2 of us, I just put the lid on when finished and the fire goes out saving the charcoal for the next time.
But did I mention I love my Archway.

View attachment 44318
Archway BBQ, Got one myself, love it, based on a Cypriot bbq.
I've also got 2 different Webers, a wood fired oven and a hot smoker, they all get used regularly, but my favourite is the Archway.
We use the smokey Joe Weber the most, it's a tiny Weber that's great for the 2 of us, I just put the lid on when finished and the fire goes out saving the charcoal for the next time.
But did I mention I love my Archway.
Forgot, I've got this one as well, but I've not seen it for over a year.

Attachments

• 20170707_211234.jpg
    20170707_211234.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 66
Oh I didn't consider I would be getting BBQ envy. The rotisseries seem huge!

Not looked into it yet but are they kinda single purpose? Rotate meat. Or do they have grill/griddle options?

Oh I didn't consider I would be getting BBQ envy. The rotisseries seem huge!

Not looked into it yet but are they kinda single purpose? Rotate meat. Or do they have grill/griddle options?
The rotisserie is removable and you put a grill over over it, either half length so you can still use the rotisserie at one end, or a full length grill.
I put sausages on the small kebab rotisserie, cooks them perfectly.

For everyday use I am using the Weber Go Anywhere which I think first came to my attention on here. Really is a great bit of kit and with a chimney kettle starter can be up and cooking in the time it takes to season a few steaks.

I then use the Pro Q Frontier for smoking/ low and slow but it is quite a versatile bit of kit and can be used for BBQ. There is a bespoke rotisserie add on - pretty sure I posted a pic of it in action here

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/rib-of-beef.93401/
I also have a Outback half drum kind of thing which is also good and gets used for larger gatherings - there are 4 grills when fully opened up but if I had my time again would switch that for a Weber 57cm kettle which is the starter BBQ of choice amongst most enthusiasts. Or if budget would stretch, the famous Aldi Kamado which sold out in 3 minutes last Sunday!

I have both a gas bbq (B&N) and a offset smoker (Aldi £60). At some point I'd like to upgrade and my money will be going the offset smoker direction. It is so much fun building a little fire in the firebox, it feels like a totally different experience to the kitchen.

My daughter keeping it topped up. :cool:

1617260690328.png

Hi All,

My Webber 57mm Kettle BBQ is 10 years old and still going and I have cooked just about everything on it, you can get one for less than £200.00 if you shop around. I have a rotisserie that cost about £100.00 which I bought a couple of years ago. A 'brined' chicken is delicious. Is great for plank cooking.

Just bought one of these: Weber® Master-Touch® GBS® Premium E-5775 57cm

My Homebase special wasn't going to do another year so decided to go for something that will hopefully last. Had a couple of cooks on it so far and I'm impressed as to how well you can control it.

I'm not averse to a gas BBQ either, the flexibility to cook outdoors but you want to get on with it quickly is where gas shines. Eventually I intend to have a decent gas barbie as well.

If you want some charcoal delivered this stuff is pretty good: Restaurant Charcoal Bundle

Decided I want a Kamado at some point or another as well, not this year but maybe next when the Aldi on comes up,

What's 'best' depends on lots of things these include:

-Do you want to grill, smoke or both?
-How many people you will be cooking for?
-Your budget
-Do you have time for charcoal?

Weber 57cm kettle either the standard or spring for the master touch. For years I put off buying one because of the cost and bought cheaper ones. They don’t compare. Heat retention and they’re customisable. You can get the meat rotisserie add-on through amazon for £100 but keep an eye as they have dropped to £60 (according to camel camel camel). Granted you can customise any 57cm kettle with the same bits. I’ve had the Weber a while now and I regret not buying one sooner. Also their customer service is superb.

If you spring for gas got yourself a smoke box

I spent some superb Saturdays with the wife and kids out of the house. Swigging on some homebrew Smoking pulled pork or making jerk chicken.

I’m after Aldi kamado it sells out so quick...

I just came on here to suggest the Aldi kamado.

I managed to get one about 3 years ago. I have to say it is a game changer if you want that deep, intense smoke bbq flavour that you get from smokehouses. You need some decent quality lumpwood charcoal and wood chunks for smoking, but they're easy enough to get online.

The Aldi kamado sale seems to have turned into an annual duck shoot. I told my brother in law about them last year and he managed to get one by staying up at night hitting refresh. They went on sale a couple of weeks ago this year and I thought I'd have a look at 9.30am to see if there were any about. They were already sold out.

They're not cheap (£350) but from the reviews I've read, they compete with kamados up to a grand and they are a fraction of the price of a Kamado Joe or a Big Green Egg.

Weber Mastertouch all the way and it should probably be a red one since they go faster...

Nothing compares with it on price. Kamodo's etc are very nice but stupidly expensive for what they do. The whole point of BBQ is cooking cheap crappy bits of meat long enough to make them edible. It goes against the grain to do that on £1000 grill.

bbq1.jpg

I've been running a Weber Master Touch for years and its amazing. Its very versatile and with very little know how you get a decent smoker and grill in one. Everything above was cooked on my Weber. The ribs took about 6 hours as 110°c then they were taken away wrapped in foil and towels for an hour or so, I then cranked it up to about 180-200°c and did the chicken for about 45 mins, adding the burgers and sausages after 15 mins or so. I think I poached the Bratwursts in Beer for 10-15 mins before I put them on.

Good BBQ is all about temperature control and I find the Weber is amazing. It has a good seal and a vent top and bottom, so you can hold 110°c as long as there is fuel in it. It is big enough to do indirect smoking on big pieces of meat and then you can crank it up and do indirect cooking at 180-200°c for chicken and burgers before finishing them over the direct heat

The brisket below is a full packer cut and was about 6kg raw. I started it at about 10 pm on Friday Night, and checked it again at 5am. It was done by 12 so I wrapped the Flat in foil and towels while I cooked everything else.

bbq3.jpg
bbq2.jpg

Final point, the Weber has been popular in the states for decades and there is tons of recipe and techniques available online to take your cooking to the next level.

I'm in the process of planning my outdoor kitchen which will have a new smoker and grill, but I've got a feeling there will still be a spot in the corner for my Weber.

I use a weber kettle for smoking meats at weekends. I brought a mastertouch second hand for £80 off gumtree. with the addition to the below attachment its easy. I also use temp probes to monitor via bluetooth.

1617267442166.png

For easy weekday grilling I use a weber genesis on gas.

1617267280589.png

I just came on here to suggest the Aldi kamado.

I managed to get one about 3 years ago. I have to say it is a game changer if you want that deep, intense smoke bbq flavour that you get from smokehouses. You need some decent quality lumpwood charcoal and wood chunks for smoking, but they're easy enough to get online.

The Aldi kamado sale seems to have turned into an annual duck shoot. I told my brother in law about them last year and he managed to get one by staying up at night hitting refresh. They went on sale a couple of weeks ago this year and I thought I'd have a look at 9.30am to see if there were any about. They were already sold out.

They're not cheap (£350) but from the reviews I've read, they compete with kamados up to a grand and they are a fraction of the price of a Kamado Joe or a Big Green Egg.
Yeah look at fb marketplace or eBay people selling them for 600 😒🤦‍♂️Greedy b...

I only use charcoal. But my dad retired to Cyprus a while ago and uses the BBQ nearly everyday, so he has become a gas man.
It makes sense, really.
I only get a few chances to BBQ. So building a fire and the mess at time involved are no issue.

Latest posts

Back