What country makes the best beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What country makes the best beers

• Total voters
They are the obvious lagers totally different from the canned stuff. Then there are the fruity hoppy IPA that seem to be springing up and the dark beers like a dark IPA most of the ones I sampled are very well hopped with grapefruit flavours. Can't give you their names because they are local to the brewery. Last one I visited had some lovely copper tanks and pipes in the bar area obviously behind the bars as it was produced in the pub.
Netherlands is my next country to visit. You
persuaded me to try good beer😋

T'Ij, Het Uiltje, De Molen, Jopen and Emelisse have been knocking out of the park for Netherlands craft beer for a long while.

Anyone tried any of Tommie Sjef's wild beers? They're reported to be excellent.

Can second De Molen. Really good brewery.

The list was taken from a google search for the best brewing countries and a few added on when mentioned by members. I will add Poland for you!
Thank you Paul, but still cannot see Poland on the list.
The list was taken from a google search for the best brewing countries and a few added on when mentioned by members. I will add Poland for you!
Still not on the list! The third country to produce beer in Europe must be on the list!

Thank you Paul, but still cannot see Poland on the list.
Still not on the list! The third country to produce beer in Europe must be on the list!
Coincidentally I bought a trial bottle of Polish Tyskie Gronie whilst shopping in Tesco yesterday.
Really tasty Pilsner type of (pale) lager.
And it was in their £5 for 3 bottles section. 5% and 650ml.
No wonder I had a problem fitting it into 2 x 250ml glasses!
IMG_20220429_183529.jpg

Coincidentally I bought a trial bottle of Polish Tyskie Gronie whilst shopping in Tesco yesterday.
View attachment 67481
The problem with Tyskie is, that in the UK it is brewed by

View attachment 67481
The problem with genuine polish beer in the UK is, that Asahi UK has slashed the alcohol content of its strong Polish lagers Tyskie and Lech. So instead of 5.6% you get here 4.8 or less. And of course the beer itself taste worse. They have reduced the volume of syrup and adding instead some malt. In Poland, the same beer taste much better. If you go to Pakistani shop, you can get a better choice of canned beer, than in Tesco. Try Okocim Mocne, Perła Miodowa, and others. But if you go to shop in Poland you can search through at least 30 different styles.

I have drank my fair share Polish beer during a visit there during my younger years mostly the big lager brands though, but I remember some nice Baltic Porters.
And the Soplica vodka with various flavours. We shared a train coupe with another party of Poles on the train between Krakow-Warzaw and when we took out our bottles they took out some sausage and cheese and we shared the drink and food, upon reaching our destination took our farewells and went on with our respective bussines a little (a lot) more not sober anymore...
On the topic of beer I chose UK, but mostly for my personal fondness for traditional UK styles, the US has some really good beers, Imp stouts and beers like Three Weavers Deep Roots, but a lot of it is way too hoppy for me.

The problem with Tyskie is, that in the UK it is brewed by
The problem with genuine polish beer in the UK is, that Asahi UK has slashed the alcohol content of its strong Polish lagers Tyskie and Lech. So instead of 5.6% you get here 4.8 or less. And of course the beer itself taste worse. They have reduced the volume of syrup and adding instead some malt. In Poland, the same beer taste much better. If you go to Pakistani shop, you can get a better choice of canned beer, than in Tesco. Try Okocim Mocne, Perła Miodowa, and others. But if you go to shop in Poland you can search through at least 30 different styles.
My interest is piqued after tasting the 5% Tyskie Gronie ( brewed in Tychy but imported by Asahi, obs.).
I think I want to search out those more traditional Polish beers.
Does it gave to be a Pakistani shop, or will other Asian subcontinent origin shops do? (woke 😉 there).
I am also familiar with the Hammersmith, Ravenscourt to Chiswick Road area. I remember it being quite Polish what with its Centre.
Presumably that would be a good hunting area, failing a local search?
Thanks for the Polish beer awakening.

The range in your local Polski Sklep may be better. Although I visit one in any new town I go to and still yet to complete my quest of finding Żywiec Porter.

It is the USA for me, so much great beer to go at and in every style possible, often with an american twist. I really enjoy NEIPAs, WCIPAs, Black IPAs which are all modern USA styles. they have the best hops too imo. They have been leading the way for a good while now. UK is second, Belgium third.

Netherlands not Holland. There are 3 beers that know very well: Heineken, Amstel and Grolsh. Never had craft from there.
Many craft beers in Holland. "Brouwerij 't Ij' is a bit to the Netherlands what Anchor Brewing was to the US.

When touring through Holland in our favorite places (off the top of my head):
  • Zeeland (Walcheren)
    • Brouwerij Kees
    • Emelisse
    • Dutch Bargain
  • Haarlem
    • Jopen
    • Uiltje
    • And several craft beer tap rooms in the heart of the town (and it is a relatively small town)
  • Amsterdam
    • Brouwerij 't Ij
    • De Prael
Of the 250 beers from Holland I have tasted, a couple are from Grolsch (which seems to be the most crafty of the big brewers), Brand, Hertog Jan, but no other big lager breweries.

Er …. I’m reminded of a Poster I saw in Saudi many years ago that said:

Eat sh1t
Ten million flies can’t be wrong!

I’m reminded of it every time someone comes up with a statistic that exhorts me to try something new.

As for Polish beer? Sorry but, as far as I know, I’ve never tried it.
:hat:
It's readily available in supermarkets these days. If you like a German lager you'll like Polish beer. I've even had their porter when out there and it was excellent!

It is the USA for me, so much great beer to go at and in every style possible, often with an american twist. I really enjoy NEIPAs, WCIPAs, Black IPAs which are all modern USA styles. they have the best hops too imo. They have been leading the way for a good while now. UK is second, Belgium third.

This reminds me I need to try and get down to the Great American Beer Festival this year in Denver. Over 800 breweries and 4000 beers to sample. It's a sensory overload but a great event. Been a while with the pandemic and such.

Is there a country that make **** beer?
India definitely. Spent a week in Chennai with work in 2019, at the 2 hotels we stayed in our only choice was Kingfisher or Corona. The hotel the organisation we were there to see took us to for dinner only had Kingfisher or Hoegaarden.

One night I thought I’d have the 7% Kingfisher for a change, thinking it would be quite malty. Tasted like all they had done was add a shitload of sugar to it to bump up the ABV and it had a horrible aftertaste.

We spent one morning going to a couple of shopping centres, and I had similar lack of success finding decent beer to take back to my room for the evening.

Last edited:
Back