What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame you don't live local, I've got 2 refractometers (used to work away and did some stove top brewing). I could have dropped you one off.

Shame, appreciate the offer. Whereabouts are you?

If you don’t need them and would be happy to post I’d be happy to buy one off you? Rather see money go to someone on here than Amazon…

Shame, appreciate the offer. Whereabouts are you?

If you don’t need them and would be happy to post I’d be happy to buy one off you? Rather see money go to someone on here than Amazon…
I live in Northumberland near Hexham. I’ll dig out the spare, post a photo and you can see what it would cost on Amazon and you can have it for half that ? Postage will probably be about £3. Anyway we can sort out the details later.

Yeah I’ve found it a bit of a struggle as my tap water is well over 8.
I dose up with a fair bit of CRS but still seem to always be high and needing some lactic acid during the mash..
Um… It’s nothing to do with the pH of your water. It’s the amount of minerals there are in it, especially calcium carbonate (chalk). This acts as a “buffer” that prevents the natural acids in the grain, or acids that you add, from lowering the pH.

I’d strongly recommend a read of this very straightforward guide:
Thread 'Beginners Guide to Water Treatment (plus links to more advanced water treatment in post #1)'
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ore-advanced-water-treatment-in-post-1.64822/

Um… It’s nothing to do with the pH of your water. It’s the amount of minerals there are in it, especially calcium carbonate (chalk). This acts as a “buffer” that prevents the natural acids in the grain, or acids that you add, from lowering the pH.

I’d strongly recommend a read of this very straightforward guide:
Thread 'Beginners Guide to Water Treatment (plus links to more advanced water treatment in post #1)'
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ore-advanced-water-treatment-in-post-1.64822/

Thanks for the pointer… I used this thread when I first started fiddling with water profiles and trying to use my hard as nails water.

Felt a little out of my depth at the time and seems I read it and missed the key point! All makes sense now. Ive been adjusting with CRS to get CaCO3 in the right area and following the guides for salt additions, definitely with a beneficial effect.

The one brew I really had an issue was also the one I had an issue with the mash temp. Should have made the link really…

Another school day, still learning!
Cheers!

I now find myself with all kinds of things hanging around, but actually, running out.
So the kit came out.

I bought some of those cheap, out of date hops and am giving them a go.
They were still green (and vacuum packed) when I opened them, which bodes well (I'm told you should avoid brown hops).

I've gone light this time - I wondered about a slightly less strong NEIPA - aiming around 4%. With summer coming up, I spend a lot of time at car shows and the likes, so having 8% beers the night before isn't the greatest idea.

It's a fairly simple affair.

3.5kg pale malt
1kg oats
0.5kg wheat

100g Azacca whirlpool
50g Ekuanot whirlpool

Then I'll be dry hopping 100g Azacca and 50g Ekuanot (you might notice, I like my beer hoppy).

Lallemand Verdant yeast pitched at around 20c and raised to 23c.

OG 1.040 - which was bang on what I aimed for.
Hope to have a FG of 1.010.

As an aside, big thanks to the Malt Miller. Unlike others, they price their shipping fairly if you just want a couple of packs of yeast. Whilst they probably lose money (in terms of man time) on the £1.60 postage to send, it means I'll definitely use them again for bigger orders.

Last edited:
And there you are😄
Fastest brew I've ever made.
I know Verdant is very tolerant and can do up to 12%, but blimey, it can manage a 4% in no time!

It did go super nuts in fairness.

Put it in the FV on Saturday afternoon at 1.040.
Checked it today, Tuesday at lunchtime. 1.008. Can't see it going any lower.

I mean, it's going to need to sit for a week to clear yet - it looks like pondwater still. And I've not yet dry hopped it.

But never known a beer hit FG quite so quickly.

Latest posts

Back