What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wouldn't mind seeing your AG Wherry recipe, is it from a book?
Here it is: It was a recipe inspired by a visit to some isolated hamlet in Norfolk where the only half-decent pint we could get was Wherry. This was in 2004 and I had to guess at the hops. Never had a real pint of Wherry since so I don't know if it's a fair copy although it seemed so at the time and I've never felt the need to change anything about the recipe since.
OG 1038
BU 30
5 proper gallons
7lb MO
1lb Crystal (all the crystal at the time seemed to be 135 ebc)
2oz Chocolate malt
Brewer's Gold hops to 30 IBU (I never considered late additions in those heady days)
1oz Brewer's Gold last 15 mins with Irish moss
90 minutes boil
Safale SO4
½ oz Brewer's Gold dry hop in secondary.

I note that my BG hops were 6.2% alpha acid in October 2004 although how long they had been in the fridge is anybody's guess! I see that the hopping rate 1bove would give 56 IBU according to the calculator. In reality, it was nothing like!

Here it is: It was a recipe inspired by a visit to some isolated hamlet in Norfolk where the only half-decent pint we could get was Wherry. This was in 2004 and I had to guess at the hops. Never had a real pint of Wherry since so I don't know if it's a fair copy although it seemed so at the time and I've never felt the need to change anything about the recipe since.
OG 1038
BU 30
5 proper gallons
7lb MO
1lb Crystal (all the crystal at the time seemed to be 135 ebc)
2oz Chocolate malt
Brewer's Gold hops to 30 IBU (I never considered late additions in those heady days)
1oz Brewer's Gold last 15 mins with Irish moss
90 minutes boil
Safale SO4
½ oz Brewer's Gold dry hop in secondary.

I note that my BG hops were 6.2% alpha acid in October 2004 although how long they had been in the fridge is anybody's guess! I see that the hopping rate 1bove would give 56 IBU according to the calculator. In reality, it was nothing like!
Excellent, thanks. I'll put this one on my to-brew list!

Brewed another English-style pale ale yesterday, seems to be what I want to drink at the moment....

80% pale, 12% light Munich, 4% crystal, 4% wheat. Mashed at 69*C, bittered to around 30 IBU, using challenger at the start of boil and EKG and challenger at the end. OG of around 1.052. fermenting happily this morning with WY1318 London Ale 3

Brewing a clone AG beer called Skull Splitter. Made it before and it's wonderful. Got the recipe from my Clone Beer book.

Brewed a belgian quad yesterday, came home tonight to find no airlock on the fv. Found it 4 ft way and.... Wort on the ceiling

Attachments

• 20190906_224549.jpg
    20190906_224549.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 157
Brewed what I hope will be a clean restrained hoppy session APA today.
Cascade & Chinook in the kettle and it will get the same again with some Vic Secret in the dry hop.
Trying the CML Pia yeast for the first time.
acheers.

I brewed a Theakstons Old Peculiar clone today from Graham Wheeler's book. Unfortunately, l didn't have the exact hops so substituted the challengers for Phoenix (adjusted IBU's accordingly), and had to change the EKG's for green Fuggles straight from the bine...
...so l guess it's not really correct...
...decided to call it Marlon's Old Ridiculous

Just pitched the yeast on a small batch of rye saison. I haven’t brewed in a while but it was a nice relaxed brewday. 80% Pilsner, 20% flaked rye, mashed at 63C. OG 1.045 and 25 IBUs of Magnum. Nice and simple. MJ French Saison on the job, I’ve had good results from it in the past. I’m planning to do a similar batch with flaked spelt instead of the rye, for no particular reason other than why not try different random grains, it’s a farmhouse style after all.

70420EF9-44CD-413D-A461-DA69155CB7C2.jpeg

Brewed a bitter yesterday with homegrown Challenger and Goldings. Tucked up in the brew fridge with Ringwood yeast. Should be a nice drop.

Latest posts

Back