What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished making an Olicana Pale. Saw the pack of Olicana hops in LHBS last week and remembered enjoying a beer made with them at a beer festival last year. English hop, but with topical aromas, mango, pineapple etc.
MO, Carapils, Munich & light Crystral malts. Bittered with Magnum, followed by 3 additions of Olicana, pitched with a pack of Gervin that needed using up. 1.048 and calculated 40 IBU's.

Selected for and old Favorited today. A Midland mild ale, with a twist.
3.5gk Pale
300g Crystal
300g Chocolate
100g Black
200g Sugar
100g Flaked barley

but add 10g of Apollo @60 mins
10g Apollo & 10g admiral @ flame-out

Couldn't wait for fuggles to arrive in the post so I used what was in the Freezer.

Brewed a Pumpkin Ale last night.

2KG Amber Malt DME,
1KG Extra Light Malt DME,

Peeled and chopped up a Small Pumpkin, Covered it in brown sugar and sprinkled some mixed spices onto it.
Roasted for 45mins.
Dropped into the boil.

30g EKG for 60 mins
10g EKG for 15 mins
10g Willamette for 15 mins
1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice for 5 mins
2 Cinnamon Sticks for 5 mins
3 Cloves for 5 mins
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Ginger for 5 mins.

23 Liters.

Pitched with S-04 Yeast.

Any recommendations for dry hops or adding spices mid-fermentation?

Brewed a Pumpkin Ale last night.

2KG Amber Malt DME,
1KG Extra Light Malt DME,

Peeled and chopped up a Small Pumpkin, Covered it in brown sugar and sprinkled some mixed spices onto it.
Roasted for 45mins.
Dropped into the boil.

30g EKG for 60 mins
10g EKG for 15 mins
10g Willamette for 15 mins
1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice for 5 mins
2 Cinnamon Sticks for 5 mins
3 Cloves for 5 mins
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Ginger for 5 mins.

23 Liters.

Pitched with S-04 Yeast.

Any recommendations for dry hops or adding spices mid-fermentation?
Looks interesting, Never made pumpkin beer, but we make pumpkin soup and the flavour can easily be pushed out by stronger flavoured veg, even by too many carrots. You might want to leave out any other hop additions if you want to taste the pumpkin. But, others may well know better.

Had a bottle each of Coopers original pale and Sparkiling, which have been knocking around for a good while. Thought I'd have a go at making something with the yeast, which is being cultured as we speak. Can't say I enjoyed either of the beers very much- they tasted over-sweet, but maybe that was because they were out of date. Anyway It's going to be a single pale ale malt (Crisps) with mostlyi Magnum for bittering, but a bit of Vic Secret to raise the cohumulone level to that of Pride of Ringwood. Have no intention of trying to get hold of PoR. I hope my Sparkiling turns out better than the one I had last night.

Just started a wherry kit. First one of these so a full 40 pints to see what it ends like.
Blubbing away this morning.
Also bottled the RG & Blueberry wine (Red & Blue) last night and is pretty good.

What's the recipe? I'd like to have a go, Mosaic is one of my favourite hops...
One of my favourites as well. Just bought a kilo of it from HBC for £37.00.
This is my recipe @eyuptm

5kgs Pale malt
250g Crystal low colour
250g Carapils
Mash 60mins @ 68c
Boil 60mins
Post boil around 1052
17g Bravo @ 60mins
20g Mosaic @ 10mins
20g Mosaic @ 5mins
30g Mosaic @ 2mins
Ferment @ 19c M44 / US05 or similar
Dry hop after nine days with 60g Mosaic and 30g Citra.

Everyone I've tried it on so far loves it.

I am just mashing another pale ale
4kg base malt
500g honey malt
150 carapils
150 crystal 40
100g acid malt

Going with Simcoe mosiac

Bottling my kviek stout as well

An attempt to clone Harveys Best Bitter.
Colour is about right ...

Attachments

• B5A708A1-190B-488F-B4E6-9D727A1F5C81.jpeg
    B5A708A1-190B-488F-B4E6-9D727A1F5C81.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 92
Just starting another Coopers Real Ale.

Using 11g Nottingham yeast instead of the Coopers one.
1.2kg Vinclasse Brewing sugar.

This is rapidly becoming my "Go To" brew, easy to brew and at this time of year doesn't need chilling so can be fermented, racked into a keg for priming/conditioning and drinkable at room temp (19c) within about 2 weeks.

Ive just put on a better brews ipa kit witha couple tweaks ive used 1kg youngs brew enhancer instead of sugar and added a 375g jar of meridian organic barley malt extract and brewed it a little short, 20 litres instead of 23, to try and geta better mouth feel and head on a pint.

Ive also started a turbo cider that im going to add caramel and apple flavourings to second ferment so ill hopefully have a nice toffee apple cider for new year. The house is starting to look like a brewery with bottles carbonating in boxes all over the place.

Interested to hear how this turns out. Which recipe did you follow?

I took recommendations from several different posts online and tried to keep it simple (1st brew with my new kit):
4kg Maris Otter
250g Crystal (400)
25g Progress @60
25g Bramling Cross @30
15g each Fuggles & EKG at end of boil
There was a post showing Harveys use sugar but I was always struggling to get the O.G. low enough.
Ended up with 1045 and 19L - a bit high and not enough. Added Mangrove Jack M36 and is bubbling like a good-un in the garage.
Will let you know how it turns out

Latest posts

Back