What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today, but tomorrow. All fermenters standing idle, will be brewing A Pocket Full of Rye, malt bill is:-Compass Pale Schooner, NZ wheat malt and Briess rye malt with Matueka hops as a hop stand.
003.JPG

Not today, but tomorrow. All fermenters standing idle, will be brewing A Pocket Full of Rye, malt bill is:-Compass Pale Schooner, NZ wheat malt and Briess rye malt with Matueka hops as a hop stand.
View attachment 23472

I have two fermenters and that keeps 8 x 5g Kegs and a few crates of bottles stocked so you have some capacity there!

Last night I started a MYO stout - my second go at a beer kit. It was my birthday this week so I've treated myself to a Brewferm Oranje Bock and a Cooper's Stout kit, and my daughter bought me the MYO.

I made my first kit (the MYO American IPA) exactly as per the recommended ingredients, but this time I've swapped the brewing sugar for dark DME. It smelled so good as I was stirring it in the FV.

I have two fermenters and that keeps 8 x 5g Kegs and a few crates of bottles stocked so you have some capacity there!
Most I have ever had in use is 5 fermenters, I give a 20 litre keg of beer to the local home brew store weekly, in exchange for grain etc. But I do like a drink.wink...
The Pocket Full of Rye is now fermenting, dry hops in secondary and keg piggy backed to the primary fermenter and getting purged. Oxygen free transfers to both vessels.
001.JPG

Brewed 16L of Chocolate Stout today

FERMENTABLES:
3.2 kg - Maris Otter Pale (67.2%)
0.27 kg - Brown (5.7%)
0.43 kg - Chocolate (9%)
0.21 kg - Crystal 60L (4.4%)
0.16 kg - Black Patent (3.4%)
0.27 kg - Flaked Oats (5.7%)
220 g - Lactose - (late addition) (4.6%)

HOPS:
54 g - East Kent Golding, 60m
16 g - East Kent Golding, 10m

OG - 1.065, looking for an abv of around 6% with some residual sweetness.

Using the CML Beoir yeast again for this one as I was really impressed with it in my last dark ale.

I am planning on adding some vanilla after fermentation has finished.

9L of Porter (recipe kit from Worcester Hop Shop)

2000g Maris Otter
320g Brown Malt
265g Dark Crystal
50g Chocolate Malt

Hops
32g Fuggles, 90 Minutes
11g Fuggles 10 Minutes

OG 1.050

Hoping to get around about 5%.

11L in fermentor however will loose a fair bit to trub so expect an actual yield of 9L, fermenting using S-04 yeast.

Last edited:
Following the roaring success of my Shoddy Kveik, I followed a similar process for #35 Black Punk. Loosely based on Punk IPA with added Briess Black Prinz malt. Lots of hops including Ahtanum, Comet, Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin. Smelt gorgeous! Mashed at 63C to be a bit drier, OG 1.050, expecting ABV 5.3%, IBU 44, EBC 72. Hope to be in the keg in a week!

Brewed my first proper wheat beer, using M20 yeast. Problem is that I managed to badly scorch the wort, time will tell if it’s drinkable or not!

Brewed my first proper wheat beer, using M20 yeast. Problem is that I managed to badly scorch the wort, time will tell if it’s drinkable or not!

Be of good cheer! If it doesn't smell of vinegar and it doesn't smell like a Turkish Wrestlers Jock-Strap after a couple of weeks carbonating, it will be fine.

Whatever you do, don't throw is away before July! It's one of life's ironies that the last bottle of a brew is sometimes the best!

Just cooling 21 litres of ESB, exactly the same recipe as I did a couple of weeks ago just subbed the Target bittering hops for Challenger and adjusted for the same IBU's.
Going to the brewery tomorrow and meeting the brewer of the beer I am trying to clone, though I must say I am happy with the results of the Target hopped beer.

Currently mashing this since I'm off for St Paddy's day:

Quarantine Dubbel

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20
Total Grain (kg): 5.675
Total Hops (g): 18
Original Gravity (OG): 1.068
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.5 %
Colour (SRM): 15
Bitterness (IBU): 20
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner Malt (70%)
0.500 kg Munich I (9%)
0.200 kg Special W (3.5%)
0.200 kg CaraMunich II (3.5%)
0.200 kg Melanoidin (3.5%)

0.325 kg Candi Syrup - Dark (6%)
0.250 kg Cane Sugar (4.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
18 g Magnum @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Notes
----------------
Mash at 63c for 40 mins
Raise to 71c for 30 mins
Raise to 77c for 10 mins

Fermented with Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Pitch at 18c and raise by 0.5c per day up to 21c

Last edited:
Nice one, Steve - what's special W like? I've got special B and X and they're very different. The B is sugary and crunchy and like burnt toffee, the X is more like a roasted grain but nowhere near the level of chocolate.

Nice one, Steve - what's special W like? I've got special B and X and they're very different. The B is sugary and crunchy and like burnt toffee, the X is more like a roasted grain but nowhere near the level of chocolate.
I think it's a bit more roasty than B, but it still has that lovely deep plumy, muscovado sugar flavour.

Latest posts

Back