What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never heard of incognito before - just googled and it sounds interesting. Keen to know how this turns out.
It didn't smell as strongly of citra as I was expecting so will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Second night in a row brewing. Tonight a hazy pale ale
4.5kg ale malt
1kg golden naked oats
200g Vienna
Hops
20g centennial + 20g sabro + 20g cashmere @ 10mins
30g of each hops stand
50g centennial, and sabro dry hop @ 2 days
175g cashmere dry hop @ day 10
Yeast will be pia CML

Going large with this one.

Hopefully I can keep the colour. I got a new speidel fermentor. It will only be opened for dry hopping priming. If it turns brown I am going to cry and drink the lot🤢

IMG_20200410_002827743.jpg
I am going to ask again has anyone came close to brewing something similar or know where to start. It's probably an acquired taste but I really enjoy it

Continuing my love affair with German beers, today's is a Dunkels Bock.

Specs
----------
Batch size: 20L
Grain bill: 6.14kg
OG: 1.065
Expected FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%
Colour: 18srm
Bitterness: 23ibu

Grist
----------
4.0kg Munich I
1.5kg Pilsner
200g Special W
200g Caramunich II
120g Melanoidin
120g Crystal 160L

Hops
-----------
14g Zeus (15.3% AA) @ 60 mins

Mash
----------
40 mins @ 63°c
30 mins @ 71°c
10 mins @ 77°c

Notes
----------
Fermented with German Bock Lager WLP833 at 10°c

Last edited:
Spent last night putting together some oatmeal stout. Oh the joys of being a night shift worker.
4kg Maris Otter
450g malted oats
230g medium crystal malt
230g choc malt
130g roast barley
110g rolled oats at mash out
Mash 90mins@67’ Mash out 15mins@77’
Boil 90mins
45g Goldings @90min, 15g @10min
OG 1.064

Definitely need to get a wort chiller sorted out. I’ll knock something together with a bit of copper pipe at work. Still cooling to pitching temp. I’ve got some S04 yeastathumb.. This brewing thing is an excellent way of passing the long boring nights:laugh8:
Need to start getting my head round mashing efficiencies now.

Last edited:
Continuing my love affair with German beers, today's is a Dunkels Bock.

Specs
----------
Batch size: 20L
Grain bill: 6.14kg
OG: 1.065
Expected FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%
Colour: 18srm
Bitterness: 23ibu

Grist
----------
4.0kg Munich I
1.5kg Pilsner
200g Special W
200g Caramunich II
120g Melanoidin
120g Crystal 160L

Hops
-----------
14g Zeus (15.3% AA) @ 60 mins

Mash
----------
40 mins @ 63°c
30 mins @ 71°c
10 mins @ 77°c

Notes
----------
Fermented with German Bock Lager WLP833 at 10°c
I'm partial to a good Dunkel anything, love those rich malty flavours.
I have some questions about step mashing. When you quote times for the different steps:
  1. How long does it take you to raise between each step?
  2. Is it better to raise as quick as possible or gradually?
  3. Are there any adverse affects to raising slowly?
I mash in a coolbox and can only raise temps effectively by adding more boiling water and thinning the mash or by decoction. Wondering how else this can be done without HERMS/RIMS or all in one system?

Cheers

I'm going to use up the last of my little bit of remaining grain.
Nice simple little stove top BIAB, pretty much a SMaSh but with the addition of a little bit of Crystal.
Maris Otter, looks to be about 2KG & EKG hops.
A Coopers kit yeast that the lad dropped off this morning.

I'm partial to a good Dunkel anything, love those rich malty flavours.
I have some questions about step mashing. When you quote times for the different steps:
  1. How long does it take you to raise between each step?
  2. Is it better to raise as quick as possible or gradually?
  3. Are there any adverse affects to raising slowly?
I mash in a coolbox and can only raise temps effectively by adding more boiling water and thinning the mash or by decoction. Wondering how else this can be done without HERMS/RIMS or all in one system?

Cheers
I'm using a Grainfather which makes step mashing a breeze, it only takes a couple of minutes to raise the temperature. I remember reading that temperature should ideally be raised at around 1 degree per minute because it's easier on the enzymes, but I don't know how much truth there is to that. Without HERMS or RIMS then boiling water addition is fine, I used this method various times when I used a cooler mash tun, just start with a slightly thicker mash so that you're not thinning it out too much with the second infusion.

Last edited:
Made my plum porter again today. Made a couple of changes, added a little sugar for a bit more strength, added some torrified wheat to improve head retention, and increased the special-B malt. Also added a little more (10g) Fuggles at bittering. Hopefully not ruined it!

3600g Maris Otter
500g Brown malt EBC 140
350g Crystal EBC 385
350g Chocolate malt EBC 1125
300g Special-B malt EBC 300
240g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F, pH=5.2
10 min mash out at 175F
45g Fuggles AA=4% (60 mins)
25g Fuggles AA=4% (15 mins)
30g Bramling Cross AA=6.8% (15 mins)
1/2 Protofloc tablet at 15 mins
500g sugar
24 Litres in FV, OG=1062
20g Empire ale yeast

Made my plum porter again today. Made a couple of changes, added a little sugar for a bit more strength, added some torrified wheat to improve head retention, and increased the special-B malt. Also added a little more (10g) Fuggles at bittering. Hopefully not ruined it!

3600g Maris Otter
500g Brown malt EBC 140
350g Crystal EBC 385
350g Chocolate malt EBC 1125
300g Special-B malt EBC 300
240g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F, pH=5.2
10 min mash out at 175F
45g Fuggles AA=4% (60 mins)
25g Fuggles AA=4% (15 mins)
30g Bramling Cross AA=6.8% (15 mins)
1/2 Protofloc tablet at 15 mins
500g sugar
24 Litres in FV, OG=1062
20g Empire ale yeast
I might give this a go. My last coconut porter really let the side down. The coconut flavour faded after about 5 weeks. I used fresh coconut roasted and left it in the fermentor for 3 weeks. Does the plum flavour stay well in the beer

I might give this a go. My last coconut porter really let the side down. The coconut flavour faded after about 5 weeks. I used fresh coconut roasted and left it in the fermentor for 3 weeks. Does the plum flavour stay well in the beer

Yes it does. I’m trying a different plum flavouring this time that seems to be more natural tasting. Got it from Amazon.

B5FA1471-D1FE-4123-A481-DBAD67EFB124.jpeg

First brew day since New Year’s Eve. What a disgrace. I made 15 litres of a lemon and lime witbier. 50% Pilsner and 50% flaked wheat to an OG of 1.046. Small addition of saaz at 60 minutes and 25g of lemondrop plus two lemons and two limes at flameout. Fermenting with MJ Belgian Wit yeast M21

First brew day since New Year’s Eve. What a disgrace. I made 15 litres of a lemon and lime witbier. 50% Pilsner and 50% flaked wheat to an OG of 1.046. Small addition of saaz at 60 minutes and 25g of lemondrop plus two lemons and two limes at flameout. Fermenting with MJ Belgian Wit yeast M21
That sounds nice

Actually, I did simulate a coconut stout with a couple of drops of Malibu - it was surprisingly good for a simple cheat!

Back