What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20200528_144901.jpg

All done...managed 25 litres to fv with OG of 1043. Recipe was dialed in at 70% BHE,I got 69.9 so that seems ok.
It tastes and smells good...that Willamette shines through..
Managed to get it down to 22 with the wort chiller so going to set the brew fridge for 19 and pitch the Notty straight away...

View attachment 26646
All done...managed 25 litres to fv with OG of 1043. Recipe was dialed in at 70% BHE,I got 69.9 so that seems ok.
Managed to get it down to 22 with the wort chiller so going to set the brew fridge for 19 and pitch the Notty straight away...
do you get sulfur from notty? its been a while since i have used it last and i cant remember if i have gotten sulfur before and if it fades over time? i do have quite a bit of it in a recent batch.

View attachment 26646

That wort sample looks lovely and clear.

Zombie Dust IPA clone - OG 1061, 220g of citra in a 23l brew. Actually came in at 1059 so close enough. Just waiting for it to chill enough to pitch, the groundwater was only cool enough to pull it down to 28c today.

First time I've brewed in 2020 I think. I used up my stocks and decided to take a break so I didn't spend all of lockdown leathered. That hasn't worked, I've just ended up buying beer and ended up leathered and broke!

Can't say I've noticed any sulphur off Notty.... but then it's out in the garage..I shall give it a ruddy good sniffing at when it kicks off...
sounds good i didnt notice it until i took a gravity sample after it was done fermenting. its a fast working yeast and wonder if it needs time to clean up after itself.

Just got this wrapped up in the fermentation fridge, OG was a few points higher than expected (not a bad thing for a quad) at 1.093. If the brett reaches the same attenuation as last time then this will end up over 11% abv :oops:

OG shot, I love seeing a hydrometer at >1.090 😀

W3XJieA.jpg

The strongest beer I EVER made had an OG of 1076 and turned out at 8.5%.

At best I’d need a few days off after drinking your beer!

View attachment 26646

Looking the dogs so far Clint athumb..

Bretted Quad

Recipe Specs

----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Estimated OG: 1.093
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 10.5 %
Colour (SRM): 30
Bitterness (IBU): 24

Grain Bill
----------------
5.55 kg Pilsner Malt (70%)
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (6%)
0.45 kg CaraMunich I (6%)
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (2.5%)
Boil additions:
0.75 kg Homemade Candi Syrup - Dark (9.5%)
0.50 kg Cane Sugar (6%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12 g Zeus (15.3% AA) @ 60 Minutes
35 g Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.3% AA) @ 20 Minutes

Water Profile
----------------
105 ppm Calcium
56 ppm Sulphate
150 ppm Chloride
40 ppm Alkalinity

Notes
----------------
Single step Infusion at 67°C overnight
Fermented with Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Pitch at 18°C and ramp up to 25°C over 1 week
Rack to secondary and add brett b and leave for 8 weeks
Candi syrup is made by heating 500g refined beet sugar with 200ml water and 2 tsp of lemon juice gradually to 130°C and simmering for 1 hr
Just had a look in on this while nudging the temperature up, I'm glad I used an oversized FV cos the krausen ring is more than 6L higher than the top of the wort. Nothing like a quad or RIS to send yeast bonkers.

Just in the middle of my first double brew day!

First up, and just tucked up in the brew fridge is a TT Landlord-ish thing, with Windsor. Norwich Amateur Brewers are doing a 'brewers thumbprint' exercise, where a few of us brew the same beer and see what ends up different. I've gone chloride forwards 2:1. Overshot the pre-boil gravity, so liquored back at the start of the boil.
tt.jpg

Next up is a version of GH American WHeat. A bit of a user upper, it will be single hopped with Wakatu - which I've never used before. I put out a club poll, and the majority voted for Wakatu, though probably 'cos they've never tasted it before either.

Martin

Just got this wrapped up in the fermentation fridge, OG was a few points higher than expected (not a bad thing for a quad) at 1.093. If the brett reaches the same attenuation as last time then this will end up over 11% abv :oops:

OG shot, I love seeing a hydrometer at >1.090 😀

W3XJieA.jpg
What's that, 1094?? I bet you could stand a spoon up in it!

Found a phial of White Labs "French Ale" yeast in the fridge last week a good 9 months out of date. Came as a 5-for-a-tenner from Brew UK. Had no idea what I wanted to do with it as we're not all that short of French ale here in France! Made up a starter and after 4 or 5 days it's going like the clappers of doom and still don't know what to do with it so Made a SMaSH of Pale malt and EKGs; OG 1065, IBUs 40 and now have a batch of Summer Lightning Special Strength Bière de Garde bubbling away nicely.

I made an AG single hop (ish) IPA

Fermentables
6Kg of Maris otter pale

Mash
60 min mash @ 66C
10 min Mashout @75C

Hops
41g of cascade @ boil
20g of Falconers Flight @15 mins
20g of Falconers Flight @ 5 mins
60g of Falconers Flight @ turn off (80C)

Protofloc @10 mins

Yeast
Mangrove Jacks M44 @ 20C

Used Cascade for bittering as it needed using and Falconers Flight (not used it before)

OG 1.060 (higher than predicted but not complaining)

Now in the brew fridge with temp controller at 20C

Latest posts

Back