What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone wants to experiment and see if adding pure O2 to the wort before pitching help their ferment, I use one of these wands connected to a disposable small welding supplies O2 tank and mini regulator. I give an average brew 30 seconds of stirring and bubbling and fermentation is usually going within hours.

https://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/air-stone-wand.html
Ill try and find out what regulator I used, it had to be very slightly modified but uses all JG push fittings and 3/8” beer line.

Ginger beer beer experiment

5 litres, - Pale malt, honey, sugar, ginger, and fuggles @45min

IMG-20200709-WA0027.jpeg

I'll be making ginger cake with the leftover ginger.

Last edited:
English IPA
Going for a overnight mash, just to give it a try.

4.5 kg Maris otter
300g crystal 100
150g crystal 225
300g torrified wheat

Mashed at 70 slightly higher than normal as it's sitting over night.
I have 100g of fuggles and 100g of EKG to use plus maybe magnum for a light bitter charge. I will work out the timings in the morning.
I have a starter already going using WLP London fog yeast which smells lovely and fruity.
Not normally something I brew, it will be nice for a change. If it's up to scratch I will enter into the August competition.👌

not brewing yet just prepping for tomorrow's DIPA. i'm running low on hops and base malts so i needed a brew to use up a bunch of odds and ends in the freezer like samale! although i have columbus, citra, el dorado, mozart and summit.

now to plan the next batch of hops and malts. definitely going to try out sabro, Idaho 7 and meridian. might pick up a another bag of munich from weyermann to compare to the sack of bestmalz i have.

well made the order and have some fun hops to play with. ended up getting 10kgs of munich 1 & 2 and some vienna.

not brewing yet just prepping for tomorrow's DIPA. i'm running low on hops and base malts so i needed a brew to use up a bunch of odds and ends in the freezer like samale! although i have columbus, citra, el dorado, mozart and summit.

now to plan the next batch of hops and malts. definitely going to try out sabro, Idaho 7 and meridian. might pick up a another bag of munich from weyermann to compare to the sack of bestmalz i have.

well made the order and have some fun hops to play with. ended up getting 10kgs of munich 1 & 2 and some vienna.
Let me know what you plan to do with sabro. I got 100g in my last order. Not sure what to brew with it yet.

Let me know what you plan to do with sabro. I got 100g in my last order. Not sure what to brew with it yet.
unfortunately hbc didn't have any in stock so i need to find it somewhere else. i was actually thinking about using it and cashmere in a hoppy coconut vanilla stout kind of like what you made recently. what do you think?

unfortunately hbc didn't have any in stock so i need to find it somewhere else. i was actually thinking about using it and cashmere in a hoppy coconut vanilla stout kind of like what you made recently. what do you think?
Sounds great, geterbrew are great for both sabro and cashmere.

Double brewday today, started just after 6am.
Brew 1: a table saison on my main kit. 75% Pilsner malt, 25% flaked wheat. Magnum to bitter, lemondrop and Saaz steeped at flameout. Came out at 1.035 OG and I’d expect MJ French Saison yeast to get it to around 1.002 for 4.5% ABV or thereabouts.
Brew 2: a Rye IPA on the stove top as a sort of maxi-BIAB. This was a bit of an adventure, made a pretty epic mess with a very full kettle and during my “grain bag sparge” the grain bag split so I had to go with the lesser know “kitchen sieve sparge”. That added half an hour to the brew day! 50% pale malt, 25% Munich, 25% rye. Columbus to bitter, Chinook and Simcoe at flameout (cc @dan125 ). 1.050 OG with US05 on the job, more Simcoe and Chinook for dry hops. I’m aiming for a west coast, bitter type IPA here.

American IPA from GH book, citra and simcoe Mmmm..Mmm. Slightly modified using 5kg of pale and 21L, using Kveik for the first time pitched at 38°C, OG 1.058 @ 20°C.

3C04B9A4-E7AA-42FF-8CF5-16072052B23E.jpeg

First Lockdown Brewday for a while, a Belgian Witbier.
2.5kg pilsner malt, 2kg torrified wheat, 250g flaked oats.

Tettnang to bitter to 14IBU, then Orange peel and coriander for the last 20 and 10mins of the boil. Fermented using M21 Belgian Wit

View attachment 29171
First Lockdown Brewday for a while, a Belgian Witbier.
2.5kg pilsner malt, 2kg torrified wheat, 250g flaked oats.

Tettnang to bitter to 14IBU, then Orange peel and coriander for the last 20 and 10mins of the boil. Fermented using M21 Belgian Wit
Grain absorption on this has been massive! Not even hit the 30L mark after the sparge, sparge definitely isn’t stuck because the grain is more or less dry. We’ll see how my efficiency is.

Why that much torrified wheat?
I was going to ask the same question but didn't want to sound stupid. I thought torrified was used in small quantities for improved mouth feel/head retention.
Unmalted wheat is the traditional wheat grain in a Belgian witbier, as opposed to a German hefeweizen which uses malted wheat. I actually used shredded wheat last time I made the same beer.

“The grain bill for a witbier is not as flexible as many other beer styles. It requires unmalted wheat and continental Pilsner malt as the base. If you can’t get those ingredients, you can try malted wheat and domestic two-row malt, but the flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and appearance just won’t have that soft, slightly sweet and gently grainy character.”
https://byo.com/article/witbier-style-profile/

Last edited:
Sounds like another in the list. I had a Google too....
It's the first time I've seen a wit like that..why doesn't the GH or other recipes you see follow this?
Does the finished beer have head retention issues?
Now that IS a stupid question!

Sounds like another in the list. I had a Google too....
It's the first time I've seen a wit like that..why doesn't the GH or other recipes you see follow this?
Does the finished beer have head retention issues?
Now that IS a stupid question!
The GH one is the only one I’ve seen using wheat malt.

There have been a few threads on here discussing it - most recent is this one Flaked, Torrified and Malted

Last edited:
The first four recipes offered by Google from various brewing sites listed,pilsner Malt,two row,Munich,red wheat,white wheat, flaked wheat,malted wheat..no torrified mentioned.

The first four recipes offered by Google from various brewing sites listed,pilsner Malt,two row,Munich,red wheat,white wheat, flaked wheat,malted wheat..no torrified mentioned.
Flaked and torrified can be interchanged though? If you order torrified wheat from GEB you sometimes get flaked and sometimes get wheat grain.

BJCP guidelines state under characteristic ingredients it should be approx 50% unmalted wheat and 50% pils and that some versions use up to 10% “raw” oats.

Wheat malt has a very distinctive taste which I’ve never encountered in a commercial wit.

Last edited:
Back