What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mashing a dry stout largely based in the Greg Hughes recipe. Lovely aromas when doughing in. Going to be a long evening but this was the only chance to get a brew in this week and don't like leaving the fermentation fridge empty for too long.

Just brewed the mj Australian pale ale and swapped the yeast for a Kveik yeast, just for experimental purposes.

Attachments

• IMG-20200731-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20200731-WA0002.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200801_111139312.jpg
    IMG_20200801_111139312.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 67
Yes it is and started quickly
I’ve just discovered I have the chance of an impromptu brew day because my wife is going to our neighbour’s for drinks. Torn between getting this yeast tested and getting either a Munich Helles or Sorachi lager on.

My stocks are still high so I’m probably best to make one of the lagers as it’ll take longer, but I have an empty corny and I’m really excited to try this yeast!

Last edited:
Black rye IPA
3kg Maris otter
2kg rye
500g Munich
200g light crystal
200g acid malt
500g carafa 2 cold steep in 2 litres of water. This is added to the boil

20g magnum @60 mins
15g each of sabro, Chinook & centennial @10mins
35g each of sabro, Chinook & centennial @ hop stand 80 degrees
Dry hop 50g sabro & 50 g of Chinook

Yeast T58.

Jesus someone might of said T58 is a violent *******. I woke up to nearly 2 litres of beer over my bedroom floor. The wife is not impressed at all.
IMG_20200802_094857895.jpg
To make matters worse apparently I used the good towels to clean it up. I didn't even know we had good towels 😃
IMG_20200802_100247164.jpg
It's still trying to get out.
Not a great start to the morning

Jesus someone might of said T58 is a violent *******. I woke up to nearly 2 litres of beer over my bedroom floor. The wife is not impressed at all.
View attachment 30285
To make matters worse apparently I used the good towels to clean it up. I didn't even know we had good towels 😃
View attachment 30286
Thought my Kveik Ozzy pale was violent 🤣 I can relate to the good towel bad towel scenario 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kettles on, didn,t have enough base malt for my intended brew so its a mish mash, pale malt 3.5kg topped off with crystal 120, munich, melanoidin, and special w hops are target ekg and challenger should be a decent brew

I'm doing another experimental one today, I think it's close enough to a stout to reliably say that's what it is, specifically a 'chocolate coffee oatmeal stout'.

600g Pale malt
200g flaked oats
100g chocolate malt
100g light crystal malt

Mashing at 66C for an hour (been getting too much in the way of unfermentables with the last few mashing at 70C, the temp doesn't seem to drop much in the current climate).

12g East Kent Goldings @ 60 mins

A tablespoon each of roast ground coffee and cocoa powder @ 10 minutes

I'm using Youngs beer & wine yeast for this one, I've had good results with it in the past but using it in an AG brew is a bit of a leap into the unknown for me. Hopefully this will work...

View attachment 30285
View attachment 30286
yup it climbed the stairs and tried to strangle me once. like its psycho twin be-256.

Mangrove jacks lemon sour gose just hit the fermenter, hope this is going to be good and not too sour 😬 if it is too sour the wife will love it so wouldn't be a waste

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_123516200.jpg
    IMG_20200802_123516200.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20200802_125059836.jpg
    IMG_20200802_125059836.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 62
Just brewed the mj Australian pale ale and swapped the yeast for a Kveik yeast, just for experimental purposes.
Very silly question, but does your tap twist back down easy enough with a full FV? I've got the same but am too nervous to twist it round in case of a leak, so have mounted it on blocks!

Very silly question, but does your tap twist back down easy enough with a full FV? I've got the same but am too nervous to twist it round in case of a leak, so have mounted it on blocks!
Yeah I've twisted mine back and forth quite a few times and all good 👍 apparently there's no silly questions in home-brewing 🤷🏻‍♂️ (so I've been told) 😃

Latest posts

Back