What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk of Carlsberg taking over Marstons got my thirst up for a pint or seven of Old Thumper (Ringwood). I've got details going back to Protz' first edition of The Beer Drinkers Almanac and it's one of those beers that seems to have changed little by little. The first description uses 92% Maris Otter and wheat flour hopped with Worcester Goldings. This gets changed to 90% MO, 6% Torrefs ied Wheat and 4% Crystal and Chocolate (proportions not specified, Bittered with Challenger EKGs and Pilgrim with EKGs for late hops. Wheeler puts strange things in the formulation so I've dismissed his contribution. All pre-takeover (by Marston's) recipes state the OG to be 1058. It wasn't, in the days before abv wa Crystal s the measure of a beers strentgth it was described as 1058-1061. Fortunately I've drunk enough gallons of Old Thumper, in The Old Thumper, Westbourne, and elsewhere to know exactyy how it should be so here goes:
90% Maris Otter
6% Torrefied Wheat
3% Crystal 150 ebc
1% Chocolate malt
Bittered with Challenger to 15 IBUs and Worcester Goldings to 20 IBUs giving 35 IBUs by the method provided by Wheeler in his early literature (and Brupaks guide to hops, which actually gives some bitterness (eat your tiny hearts out Tinseth et al)
Late additions of EKGs at -10 mins and -5 mins at rate of 20g in 20 litres respectively.
Ringwood Yeast.
Wallop.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that I intend making exactly the same recipe tomorrow but with Chevallier malt instead of MO. It's supposed to have a "maltier" flavour so sounds ideally suited to the style.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Not brewed but bottled 36 bottles of Leffe Blonde.

I brewed 11 litres of Sour in the Rye my first sour beer.
1500g MO
750g Rye malt
500g Munich malt
50g Dark Crystal
50g Chocolate malt
50g Roasted Rye
100g Spelt oats
10g Chinook @ 60m
6g Philly Sour yeast
OG 1056
I moved this to bottling bucket today and ended with 9.5 litres. The brew had a huge amount of floating trub. Will bottle soon.As this is my first sour beer how long should I leave it after 2 weeks carbing? ABV was 5.8%

My first Brew today. 😁
Young's American IPA
Added the cold water from a height, nice and aerated.
The malt extract smelt bloody lovely
Put in fermenter about 5pm,airlock bubbled just now at 9pm.
Room temp 22.3
Cheers Jon

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've made a pale lager but currently got this mashing:

German Pils

Batch size: 20L
Estimated OG: 1.047
Estimated FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.5%
Colour: 3SRM
Bitterness: 34IBU

Grain Bill
4.2kg German Pilsner Malt
40g Acidulated Malt

Hops
25g Magnum @ 60 mins
15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 15 mins
15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 1 min

Fermented at 10°C with WLP833 - German Bock Lager.

Mash pH is a touch higher than I'd like, but it's within the proper range so I'll leave it be.
jdnwDmP.jpg

Edit to add: actually the perfectionist in me couldn't leave well enough alone, so against my own advice I added 0.5ml of lactic acid which give me this slightly better pH:
ZmZRWmV.jpg

Last edited:
All this talk of Carlsberg taking over Marstons got my thirst up for a pint or seven of Old Thumper (Ringwood). I've got details going back to Protz' first edition of The Beer Drinkers Almanac and it's one of those beers that seems to have changed little by little. The first description uses 92% Maris Otter and wheat flour hopped with Worcester Goldings. This gets changed to 90% MO, 6% Torrefs ied Wheat and 4% Crystal and Chocolate (proportions not specified, Bittered with Challenger EKGs and Pilgrim with EKGs for late hops. Wheeler puts strange things in the formulation so I've dismissed his contribution. All pre-takeover (by Marston's) recipes state the OG to be 1058. It wasn't, in the days before abv wa Crystal s the measure of a beers strentgth it was described as 1058-1061. Fortunately I've drunk enough gallons of Old Thumper, in The Old Thumper, Westbourne, and elsewhere to know exactyy how it should be so here goes:
90% Maris Otter
6% Torrefied Wheat
3% Crystal 150 ebc
1% Chocolate malt
Bittered with Challenger to 15 IBUs and Worcester Goldings to 20 IBUs giving 35 IBUs by the method provided by Wheeler in his early literature (and Brupaks guide to hops, which actually gives some bitterness (eat your tiny hearts out Tinseth et al)
Late additions of EKGs at -10 mins and -5 mins at rate of 20g in 20 litres respectively.
Ringwood Yeast.
Wallop.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that I intend making exactly the same recipe tomorrow but with Chevallier malt instead of MO. It's supposed to have a "maltier" flavour so sounds ideally suited to the style.
Sounds good to me.i have only had old Thumper bottled and really enjoyed it so it must be great on cask. Might have to give this a go🍺

Sounds good to me.i have only had old Thumper bottled and really enjoyed it so it must be great on cask. Might have to give this a go🍺
I observe that even 1% of chocolate malt makes the beer a bit darker than it should be. Might cut it back next time, but that depends on how it tastes. There's no discernable flavour of chocolate in OT

It's been a long time since I've made a pale lager but currently got this mashing:

German Pils

Batch size: 20L
Estimated OG: 1.047
Estimated FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.5%
Colour: 3SRM
Bitterness: 34IBU

Grain Bill
4.2kg German Pilsner Malt
40g Acidulated Malt

Hops
25g Magnum @ 60 mins
15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 15 mins
15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 1 min

Fermented at 10°C with WLP833 - German Bock Lager.

Mash pH is a touch higher than I'd like, but it's within the proper range so I'll leave it be.
jdnwDmP.jpg

Edit to add: actually the perfectionist in me couldn't leave well enough alone, so against my own advice I added 0.5ml of lactic acid which give me this slightly better pH:
ZmZRWmV.jpg
Other than the yeast I have these ingredients in stock. How long will this take in the brew fridge?

Other than the yeast I have these ingredients in stock. How long will this take in the brew fridge?
If you're in a hurry (or just impatient like me) then the quick lager method can have it done in under a couple of weeks, 10c for 5 days, ramp up to 18c for a couple of days, cold crash for a couple more days and done.

Started a Solomon Grundy Chardonnay kit 14 days ago - it's had the odd slight bubble for days but it's ready now I've left it a few days more than last time (which was really nice anyway).

Just added some stabiliser and finings and it is really clear - used the degasser for 5 mins but don't think it needed much.

Looking forward to bottling this tomorrow. If it's even as good as last time I will keep making this kit.

I observe that even 1% of chocolate malt makes the beer a bit darker than it should be. Might cut it back next time, but that depends on how it tastes. There's no discernable flavour of chocolate in OT
There we go @strange-steve . A bit of Chocolate Malt and you may be able to squeeze a bottle of your Lager into the October Dark beers competition :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

First run on the BrewZilla and brewing an ESB style of some description ...
3.5kg Pilsen Malt 3.5 EBC
1.0kg Wheat Malt 2 EBC
0.5kg CaraBeige 30-45 EBC
0.145kg Aciduated Malt
No water additions required as est pH was 5.37 though when checked was 5.09 and when I rechecked the recipe target profile was set to my own which has a pH of 7.2....bit low but we shall see.
50g Hull Melon 5.4% AA60 mins for bittering
20g ElDorado 14.8% AA 5 mins
20g Mosaic 11.4% AA 5 mins
20g ElDorado 14.8% AA 0 mins
20g Mosaic 11.4% AA 0 mins
MJ 54 California Common yeast is to be used as it is this or Kolsch but I'm sure it will be interesting.
Shall ferment @19deg.

Latest posts

Back