What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a re-run of a Cascade pale ale I did a month or two ago. Lighter grain bill this time. Trying to reduce the ABV to around 5 or less! 5 gallons in the fridge with an OG of 1.050.
IMG_20201122_161056069.jpg

Time to brew something English and use up some grains and also have something session strength. I'm half way through the mash of a English Pale with Target and Admiral. I have used Admiral before but not Target.
Planned to use London ale 3 but I don't think the viability was particularly good on the last batch as I had to pitch some PIA to get the last brew going. Luckily I had an older harvest of Thames Valley yeast, Starter looked very healthy so glad I ditched the London Ale 3.
https://share.brewfather.app/zBGXwRR3P4cdnA

After bottling 6 bottles of summer fruits wine last night/this morning at stupid o'clock and having a few cartons of apple juice i decided to throw some in on the trub.
Bit of pectolase and yeast nutrient and a bit sugar.
It's bubbling away today,
Another first for me and an experiment.
So hopefully some cheap apple cider re using yeast.

Some people may not want to write out a full brewday report but just say what they brewed.

So what did you brew today?

I made a 'bit's and bobs stout' to use up the odds and ends of grain I had
Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Clone

fair to say, I may have caught a bug here... Second AG pale ale boiling away this morning. Famous last words. But things have gone more smoothly so far this morning!
View attachment 36065
Also finished reading the GH book and now want to buy 50 different types of malt and hops and yeast 🙄
You have only finished reading it the first time!

You have only finished reading it the first time!
Skimmed through the recipes on a second perusal though... Probably start from the beginning again in the coming week, fairly sure I missed something significant somewhere.
:?:

A Dark Rock Irish Red Ale.

Quite impressed with the kit, in addition to the usual malt, hops and yeast there was yeast nutrient, finings and a couple of barrel stickers. Sadly my daughter and brewing buddy was in the process of moving out so this one was brewed solo and amazingly it went well (everything on time and the closest to intended mash temperature yet). Smooth as a baby's backside right up until the point I tasted the wort - it was so bitter. Reference to the instructions (I know, should have done it earlier) revealed the intended IBU to be 42. For an Irish Red Ale? Really? Anyway, my fault for not checking and it's done now. I'll just change the label.

What's your recipe for that. I brewed one a while ago but it was to bitter

I started with the original BYO recipe listed below. I increased the amount of base malt so I could reduce the amount of dextrose sugar. I reduced the 0min hop addition by 25g so total hops needed was 200g so two full packs.

Brooklyn Brewery: Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.062 FG = 1.008
IBU = 36 SRM = 3 ABV = 7.5%
Brooklyn Sorachi Ace marries the overall structure of the modern saison style with the unique lemony/herbal qualities of the Sorachi Ace hop. Sorachi Ace is used throughout, and very complete attenuation gives refreshing, flinty dryness.
Ingredients
11 lbs. (5 kg) Pilsner malt
1 lb. (0.45 kg) corn sugar
6 AAU Sorachi Ace hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g of 12% alpha acids)
6 AAU Sorachi Ace hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g of 12% alpha acids)
5 oz. (140 g) Sorachi Ace (0 min.)
2 oz. (57 g) Sorachi Ace (dry hop)
Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Ale) or White Labs WLP500 (Trappist Ale) yeast
¾ cup (150 g) dextrose (if priming)
Step by Step
Mash the grains at 122 °F (50 °C), hold 10 minutes. Raise mash temperature to 146 °F (63 °C) and hold 60 minutes. Raise mash temperature to 152 °F (67 °C) and hold 15 minutes, then mash off at 168 °F (75 °C). Add corn sugar to 5 gallons (19 L) of collected wort at SG 1.054. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Turn off heat and add 5 oz. (140 g) Sorachi Ace hops to the wort. After two minutes, begin cooling to 64 °F (18 °C), aerate well, and pitch yeast. Ferment at 71 °F (22 °C). After fermentation ends and yeast settles, dry hop with Sorachi Ace for 5–7 days. Bottle or keg as normal.

Brewing a 3.8l pale beer using up some of the grain and yeast I had open today. 350g Maris otter, 300g pearl pale, 200g rolled oats and 100g dextrose. Small challenger 60 min addition then a wolf hop stand and a joint wolf/eldorado dry hop(at yeast pitch). Using lallemand Voss, aiming to keg on Sunday.

Brewing the day after an 80 mile bike ride was not a good idea. A little late up and couldn't be bothered starting until late morning, which means I have only just finished the clean up at 1830, still all went with the brew I think:

IPA

OG 1.060

5Kg Maris Otter
250g Wheat Malt
150g Amber
150g Crystal Medium

48g Challenger @ 60 mins
25g EKG @ 15 mins
1/2 whirfloc @ 5 mins
25g Cascade @ 20 min hopstand 80C

WLP005 Yeast

32 gallons of ‘Festive Ale’, which has an O.G. of 46.7. Tad more choc malt (250gms), twice the molasses (500gms), half the usual liquor ahead (10 litres).

Six pints left of ‘Autumnal Ale’, brewed on August 24th. I know because I use pressure barrels!

bulldog bad cat imperial red. shortfilled to 19L and a little sugar added.
will be finished in time for a PB arriving. hopefully.

20 litres of American Amber Ale
4000g MO
500g Dark Munich
500g Red X
150g Dark crystal 140L
50g Carafa 3
20g Columbus @ 60m
20g Simcoe @ 15m
13g Mosaic @ 5m
CML Five yeast @ 20C
OG 1060
BHE 74%

Brewing a 3.8l pale beer using up some of the grain and yeast I had open today. 350g Maris otter, 300g pearl pale, 200g rolled oats and 100g dextrose. Small challenger 60 min addition then a wolf hop stand and a joint wolf/eldorado dry hop(at yeast pitch). Using lallemand Voss, aiming to keg on Sunday.
One day in and it's looking interesting

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_150903342.jpg
    IMG_20201124_150903342.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 53
Got this one mashing right now, it's been too long since I brewed a tripel...
Vow of Silence
Belgian Tripel

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20
Estimated OG: 1.079
Estimated FG: 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.9 %
Colour (SRM): 5
Bitterness (IBU): 33

Grain Bill
----------------
5.500 kg Pilsner (82%)
0.120 kg Melanoidin (2%)
0.065 kg Acidulated Malt (1%)
1.000 kg Clear Candi Syrup (15%) - Boil Addition @ 15 Minutes

Hop Bill
----------------
30 g Magnum @ 60 Minutes
15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 30 Minutes
15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 5 Minutes

Misc Bill
----------------
3 g Crushed Coriander Seed @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Notes
----------------
Mash:
63C for 20 Mins
66C for 20 Mins
69C for 20 Mins
77C for 10 Mins

Water:
90 calcium
10 alkalinity
80 sulphate
120 chloride

Fermented with Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Pitch at 19C and raise by 1C per day up to 24C

Got this one mashing right now, it's been too long since I brewed a tripel...
Vow of Silence
Belgian Tripel

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20
Estimated OG: 1.079
Estimated FG: 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.9 %
Colour (SRM): 5
Bitterness (IBU): 33

Grain Bill
----------------
5.500 kg Pilsner (82%)
0.120 kg Melanoidin (2%)
0.065 kg Acidulated Malt (1%)
1.000 kg Clear Candi Syrup (15%) - Boil Addition @ 15 Minutes

Hop Bill
----------------
30 g Magnum @ 60 Minutes
15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 30 Minutes
15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 5 Minutes

Misc Bill
----------------
3 g Crushed Coriander Seed @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Notes
----------------
Mash:
63C for 20 Mins
66C for 20 Mins
69C for 20 Mins
77C for 10 Mins

Water:
90 calcium
10 alkalinity
80 sulphate
120 chloride

Fermented with Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Pitch at 19C and raise by 1C per day up to 24C
Yes please :beer1:

Brewed an Old Peculiar clone today, based largely on GW recipe. Was a couple of points up on OG, due to slightly high boil off. Pitched with Liberty Bell.

Brewed an Old Peculiar clone today, based largely on GW recipe. Was a couple of points up on OG, due to slightly high boil off. Pitched with Liberty Bell.
It’s a nice one, when I made it I didn’t think it was an exact match for Old Peculiar but it’s decent none the less.

Latest posts

Back