What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a Kolsch today
87.5% Pilsner Malt
12.5% Pale Wheat Malt
Mash at 65°c

Tettnang and some Hallertau Mittelfrueh for 22.4 IBU. That is to use up the Tettnang that I had in stock and then make up the IBU with some HM that was also in the freezer.

Yeast Wy2565 - Kolsch fermenting at 16°c

I came up with the recipe after reading about Kolsch in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.

Just racked the Cooper's lager ready for bottling.
Had trouble with this and pitched a mangrove jack's Bavarian lager yeast M76 about 3 days later after thinking I'd put both yeasts in the bitter lol.
I've already drank all the bitter from my pb and have two bottles left,
The rest went in my fathers fridge 😃

Not a brew day but an update i suppose.

Forgot the pics lol.

IMG_20201229_202226012.jpg

IMG_20201229_211334924.jpg

23ltr in the wine fv shows as just over 25ltr in the bucket 🙄

A wilko Winter Warmer kit, not much changed, and 4L of the strong ginger stuff I'm swigging now, to check reproduceablilty. Normal service will be resumed in due course. Hic!

GW recipe for Top Dog Stout Clone

Original Gravity 1.044

This is below target however I am actually quite pleased I ordered the grain for this before I started to take into account my efficiency which on this batch works out at 62% exactly as expected while I’m not getting fantastic levels of efficiency I am getting consistency (last four batches have all being 62%).

As this is not my own recipe and I’m not sure on the forums policy on posting recipes published commercially I won’t post it here, but one thing I will say is it had a huge amount of torrified wheat, which should hopefully make for good head retention the wort itself was a nice satisfying pitch black.

Yeast wise I am just using S-04 so will probably be ready to keg by a week Saturday and to drink towards the end of January.

Mashing an American Wheat, working title '1492'

11.5L
46% Pale Malt
46% Wheat Malt
4% Carapils

60m mash at 66C

60m boil
5g Columbus at 60
6g Columbus at 10
10g Columbus at flame out

Ferment with Safale K97 @ 19C

Will see how it goes!

Mashing an American Wheat, working title '1492'

11.5L
46% Pale Malt
46% Wheat Malt
4% Carapils

60m mash at 66C

60m boil
5g Columbus at 60
6g Columbus at 10
10g Columbus at flame out

Ferment with Safale K97 @ 19C

Will see how it goes!
All done. Slightly off the numbers 11L in the bucket at 1050 rather than 11.5L at 1052 but no matter. Wort tastes lovely. Yeast pitched. Done by lunchtime. Happy New Year everyone and thank you for all the advice this year. Twelve months ago the idea of brewing my own beer had never really occurred to me. It has been one of the few highlights of 2020. Cheers!

19L of American IPA currently no chilling out on the patio. After 2 years of bottling I have taken the plunge and bought a corny keg kit so I'm looking forward to trying this one out. This is a rebrew of one that according to my diary I first brewed on 30th December last year (such free, fun and ignorant times...:rolleyes:) Plenty of Amarillo, Cascade and Mosaic, plus I will be trying MJ Liberty Bell for the first time after reading good things here.
Happy New Year to you all acheers.

This one's a complete shot in the dark. I've been kicking 5Kg of out of date Brown Malt around for a number of years wondering what to do with it and have finally taken the plunge. Durden Park recipe 116 Original Porter. A SMaSH with Brown Malt and Fuggles. Mashing overnight at 60C with 0.75ml Amyloglucosidase 300 per target litre of wort. Fuggles to 42 IBUs. No idea if this is going to work, but nothing to lose. I'll stay in touch.
Bottling this up today. FG is 1020 and it's been there for a while. Perfectly clear and IT'S DRINKABLE. No cloying sweetness and the overpowering flavour of the brown malt has diminished already. It has the same dry and thirst-provoking finish as DP's recipe #1 Amber Small Ale (I think it's called). I'm looking forward to trying it when it's conditioned and matured after about 2 months.

Last edited:
Just started a day time brew 😄 this is rare as I usually start at 6pm.
Today's brew is a pale ale inspired by Durations Turtles all the way down. Hops are Columbus, Mosiac and Hallertau Blanc
This was my favourite Pale ale that I purchased in 2020.

16l batch
1.053 OG
1.013 FG
5.3%
EBC- 9.5
Target IBU- 40

Crisp Extra Pale Malt-85%
Crisp Fortified Wheat -5%
Crisp pale wheat malt-5%
Dextrin Malt- 5%

Magnum -15g -60 min
Columbus - whirlpool-30g
Hallertau Blanc-whirlpool-15g
Dry hop
Hallertau Blanc-100g
Mosiac-60g

Yeast - Crossmyloof- PIA

Bottled my rauchbier and my dad's dark mild today, they ended up at 5.3% and 6% respectively and based on the samples I'm looking forward to these maturing

Bit of an odds and sods bitter today:
3.8l target og 1.045
500g pale malt
100g medium crystal malt
150g honey (boil@30)

Fuggles (leaf)
10g fwh
10g@5

Yeast - M12 Voss
Aiming to ferment in the mid 30s

Mashed high (70C), aiming for 5.1% ABV

23 litres of Arctic Ale

4000g Lager malt
500g Rye malt
200g Honey Malt
15g Northern Brewer @ 60m
20g Rakau @ 15m
1 Profoloc @ 15m
CML No1 Kveik
OG 1048 BHE 74%

8th All Grain Brew
24 litres of German Pilsner (brewed the Saturday just passed)
Aiming for 25L but boil off was more than expected (got a brewzilla for Christmas and this was my first go with it).

It's a Crisp AG Kit from @Get_Er_Brewed
3980g German Pilsner
120g Vienna
EBC ~ 5.5

Mash @ 63c - Struggled to maintain correct temp (a bit low). Need to work on this next time.
Mashout @ 75c - 15 mins
Sparge @ 77c

9g Northern Brewer @ 60
8g Northern Brewer @ 30
1 Whirlfloc @ 10
2g Yeast Nutrient @ 10
5g Hersbrucker @ 0
20g Tettnanger (15 minute hopstand <80c)
IBU ~ 25

11g Lallemeand Diamond Lager
OG 1.043
Mash Eff 80%
Tgt FG 1.007
Tgt ABV 4.7%

Checked fermentation yesterday (day 2) and found that I hadn't plugged the heater in to the inkbird so it was down at 7c but still bubbling (in a fermentation fridge).
Brought it up to target 12c. I assume that it's passage to 12c from 20c would have been relatively quick due to the refridgeration but then it's descent to 7c would have been more gradual. Hopefully haven't stressed the beasties too much.

Brewed a Czech Pilsner. Into the pressure fermenter and at the end I have a shiny new blichmann beer gun to play with. Renewed my ongoing battle with trubby ***** from the boiler today. Pressure FV is too big to go under the boiler tap and hop filter too big to place in the neck of it, so I placed it in the boiler and siphoned out of it.... All good until the wort could no longer get in the filter.

Cue my rag getting lost and just siphoning the whole shooting match into the FV. Just have to hope that stuff all falls out as the wort itself was as clear as I have ever made....

Brewed some kind of weihenstephan lager over xmas. It might be a helles? I dunno what it is, but I hope it tastes nice.

3kg pilsner
2kg vienna
200g melanoidin

20g northern brewer @ 60 min
50g saaz @ 10min
50g saaz @ whirlpool

2 pck 34/70

Turns out I've accidentally become a beer kit guy. After my last FV came empty, I threw a Wilko winter kit in it. Followed by a MJ Grapefruit kit I ordered alongside an ingredient order for free shipping reasons, and last night I put on a Evil Dog after reading some pretty glowing reviews. Just glad I've got my family and a next door neighbour providing enough bottles for me.

I'm still planning on doing "proper" brewing once I can string four hours together to boil and chill (hopefully this evening), but there's something very nice about being able to go from empty fermenter to pitching yeast in 15 minutes or less. And a supply of kit beer will keep me from breaking into the "real" stuff too early (which I've been known to do).

I brewed 13 litres of GH'ish America Oaked Brown Ale
2500g Pale Malt
100g Crystal
100g Chocolate malt
100g Dark Munich
150g Biscuit malt
35g Roasted Barley
75m boil
15g Amarillo @ 40m
15g Amarillo @ 10m
CML Five @ 18C
25g of oak chips soaked in Rum added when moved to 2FV and left for 14 days.
OG 1054 BHE 75%
IBU 30
SRM 22.4

Latest posts

Back