What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a fancy for something dark and rich but quaffable so I knocked up a brew with Chevallier and wheat malt equal parts flavoured with cara-wheat and chocolate wheat and hopped with Brambling Cross. It's on the cooker as we speak, I'll write it up later under brew days.

Have high hopes for my first all grain brew,
an American IPA made with Citra only
kindly supplied by Fury tea - also smelt fantastic 👍
I'm sure it'll be lovely.
I can still remember my first AG a few years ago and the taste difference from the kits I'd done previously (nothing against kits by the way).
The Chinook was my 88th AG brew. A mere novice compared to some on here I know.

What was the outcome of this beer in the end, any changes?
Still in the FV mate, it's definitely a pellicle on top but too early to tell if it's something unsavoury or not. I'll give it a taste in a couple of weeks, hopefully it'll be obvious by then.

What I discovered last night is that replacing my usual Goldings with Prospect for my English bitter was definitely not a good idea! I mean, I like a hoppy beer, and one where the term 'bitter' hasn't lost all meaning, but this is *really* bitter!

Seriously, it tastes like I put 100 g in of something where I should only have put 20 g in, and perhaps added some other hops. it was only cos the shop had run out of Goldings and they said, try this instead. Oh well, it's all in the learning curve. Falls into that "I'll drink it, but I wouldn't offer it to guests" category! :laugh8:

Also first pass at the syringe method of priming on my next batch. Pleased with that, better than messing with funnels and sugar.

Big stout today, all simpsons malt.

76% golden promise
11% brown malt
8.5% black malt
4.5% amber malt

Planning on a 1.090 og, but will add invert a couple of days into fermentation to get there.

110 ibu calculated admiral at 60m, plus a bit at 15mins

Lots of wy1469 from my last beer.

Bottled my Barleywine (11%) and XP pale (6%) today, both samples seem promising

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_174950933.jpg
    IMG_20210227_174950933.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 36
I made a Manx pale ale clone last year that went down very well. That was a galaxy/citra combo. Don’t have any galaxy at the moment but I do have vic secret, which I find very similar, so today i made a vic secret/citra pale ale with a generous slice of cascade thrown in to the mix. I’ll probably dry hop this one too. Mmmm can’t wait!!

Just finished another take on a Belgian pale. This time I am going for a session pale below 5% and using a mixture of pilsner and ale malt for a lighter colour beer. Also you a mixture of EKG & Cashmere with WLP510 yeast.
IMG_20210228_152958.jpg

Also kegged my Czech Amber Lager today which tasted nice out of the fermenter so hopeful that it will be a success.
IMG_20210228_123825.jpg

I made a Manx pale ale clone last year that went down very well. That was a galaxy/citra combo. Don’t have any galaxy at the moment but I do have vic secret, which I find very similar, so today i made a vic secret/citra pale ale with a generous slice of cascade thrown in to the mix. I’ll probably dry hop this one too. Mmmm can’t wait!!
Does a Manx pale ale have lashing of hops and any birch additions.

What I discovered last night is that replacing my usual Goldings with Prospect for my English bitter was definitely not a good idea! I mean, I like a hoppy beer, and one where the term 'bitter' hasn't lost all meaning, but this is *really* bitter!

Seriously, it tastes like I put 100 g in of something where I should only have put 20 g in, and perhaps added some other hops. it was only cos the shop had run out of Goldings and they said, try this instead. Oh well, it's all in the learning curve. Falls into that "I'll drink it, but I wouldn't offer it to guests" category! :laugh8:

Also first pass at the syringe method of priming on my next batch. Pleased with that, better than messing with funnels and sugar.
Didn't you account for any change in AAU's?

Actually, I just looked it up again, and this variety is, in fact said to be similar to Goldings etc, and AA values are comparable.

the morebeer site says

Intended as a replacement for popular British Fuggle hops, Progress was released from Wye College in 1964. Mild flavor paired with strong aroma and a moderate bittering quality have evolved this hop from just aromatics to a dual purpose ingredient. Progress imparts a wonderfully earthy, grassy, floral aroma to a wide variety of beer styles, including English Ales. Progress hops have an alpha acid content of 6% to 7.5%, and its moderate bittering agent pairs well with the mild flavor and earthy aroma. You could also try Progress in Belgian Ales, IPAs, and more. Progress hops can be difficult to find, so don’t be afraid to sub-in East Kent Golding or Fuggle hops.

But certainly I found it massively different substituting for East Kent Goldings. In fact I was surprised a change would make such a marked difference, but it did. Oh well, now I know.

Spring Lightning
22 litres
4600g Pale Malt
25g Admiral @ 60m
25g First Gold @ 15m
16g Bramling Cross @ 3m
Safale S04 @ 20C
OG 1050
BHE 75% (highest ever :-)

Every day I see half a dozen recipes on here and think, I wouldn't mind trying that!

Today I had a go at the Fisherman's Stout recipe. I couldn't source any Special B when I ordered, so had to do without that. so I upped the quantities of other grains fractionally to make up the difference. I rather like the idea of these small batches. I will be interested to see how close I get to the target OG in the recipe.

Then I realised my FV was still full of my last batch of bitter! So that was quickly transferring into demi-johns. This time on the bitter, I used a liquid yeast instead of my usual 04. Boy, does it grow once it gets going! I am not one for harvesting yeast, but there sure was a lot of it!

Racked the Geordie lager yesterday and got a Cooper's Mexican cerveza on the go straight afterwards.

Having bottled the cerveza on the 22nd of feb I had got a

mangrove jack's gold lager

on the go,
Probably on Sunday 21st.
Its now ready to go.

Also brewed a

Beaverdale 30 bottle merlot.

on Sunday 28th February.

Had issues getting a seal with the airlock on the new bucket lid.
Sorted, and after a day or two it's going like a steam train 🚂🤗

Ps.
It's stunk the house out.
I love the smell but Mrs isn't so keen 🤣

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back