What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not actually brewing today,
but as I had used ALL my grains up except 100g Crystal malt, I needed to order some in!
Thought I would give this Warminster Maris Otter Pale malt a try, as it seems to have a good reputation.
I also bought some Weyermann's Pilsner and Acid malts, and Saaz hops and some MJ Pilsner yeast to do it properly this time. Plus a few water treatment chemicals, Crushed barley and some Crystal malts of different EBCs.
Ordered Friday from The Home Brew Shop, Farnborough, delivered FREE (as over £65) at 0900 this Monday am.
Can't say better than that.
Impressed, I am.
Suppose I had better start planning the next brew!
IMG_20211025_121711.jpg

Last edited:
Not actually brewing today,
but as I had used ALL my grains up except 100g Crystal malt, I needed to order some in!
Thought I would give this Warminster Maris Otter Pale malt a try, as it seems to have a good reputation.
I also bought some Weyermann's Pilsner and Acid malts, and Saaz hops and some MJ Pilsner yeast to do it properly this time. Plus a few water treatment chemicals, Crushed barley and some Crystal malts of different EBCs.
Ordered Friday from The Home Brew Shop, Farnborough, delivered FREE (as over £65) at 0900 this Monday am.
Can't say better than that.
Impressed, I am.
Suppose I had better start planning the next brew!
View attachment 56314
The Warminster MO is excellent. The Home Brew Shop is decent for a ‘collect’ order too - I’ve done a quick dash down there a couple of times when I realise I need something at short notice…

Some people may not want to write out a full brewday report but just say what they brewed.

So what did you brew today?

I made a 'bit's and bobs stout' to use up the odds and ends of grain I had
Nothing at all I'm afraid to confess. However my last lot, 20 galls, made just over 6 weeks ago, has taken a hell of a pasting. So, I expect the old boiler (no, not what you're thinking!!) will have to be dragged out again from the depths of my Welsh mediaval cellar and over a 2 day event due to fewer daylight hours, I shall brew abother 10 delicious gallons of The Magistrate; my hoppy fruity pale ale. And, as I have some northern brewer hops, I will also probably do 10galls of a 'modern' stout (not a true historic one). I might if time allows, do 5 galls of Geiliog's Old Scrote, another of my humble recipes, this one based on McEwan's Champion. It's 7% so will be nice for the winter, if it lasts that long.

Hi Alderney, i see you are using a blanking plug and no top plate, i still use the top plate and don't stir, do you still get the same bhe doing this way
I've never used the overflow tube etc. I did use the top plate a couple of times but haven't for the last couple of brews.
This kit needed stirring a lot as it kept overflowing with any reasonable flow through the pump. It was, i guess, a stuck mash and had to be stirred up from the bottom of the grain pipe. I could actually hear the wort draining down into the headspace when I stirred it.
Still unsure about BHE. But it was supposed to be 20 litres at 1.049 and I got 19 litres at 1.050 so I guess I'm in the ballpark.

For my latest brew I've decided to go a bit off-piste (for me) and do something I've called "vaguely belgian"
2kg MO
1kg Munich
200g Special B
200g aromatic
100g crystal light
20g chocolate
90 mins mash @ 67C
45min boil
25g Saaz fwh
25g hallertau 10 min
18L batch OG 1039
CML Monk yeast
Now fermenting.

What kind of conversion efficiency do you usually get with an overnight mash?
I'm not really sure how to answer that 😀. I hit my expected OG as predicted by Brewfather. I think typically I'm a few points short.

Nothing at all I'm afraid to confess. However my last lot, 20 galls, made just over 6 weeks ago, has taken a hell of a pasting. So, I expect the old boiler (no, not what you're thinking!!) will have to be dragged out again from the depths of my Welsh mediaval cellar and over a 2 day event due to fewer daylight hours, I shall brew abother 10 delicious gallons of The Magistrate; my hoppy fruity pale ale. And, as I have some northern brewer hops, I will also probably do 10galls of a 'modern' stout (not a true historic one). I might if time allows, do 5 galls of Geiliog's Old Scrote, another of my humble recipes, this one based on McEwan's Champion. It's 7% so will be nice for the winter, if it lasts that long.
I would love to see pictures of your brew day.

That's a well regarded maltsters too.
As is Crisp's, and Bairds.
In fact I'm not sure if I have ever seen any actual bad reviews of any Pale malt!

I don't believe I have either, but it would be interesting to see what the flavor difference is if there is one. Don't get me wrong, I like the other malts too just have yet to try Warminster.

:beer1:

Last edited:
I would love to see pictures of your brew day.
I had thought of making a video...I have tried uploading some stills of the cellar though. It's a very old place and we LOVE it!!!

Attachments

• DSCF4528.JPG
    DSCF4528.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF4529.JPG
    DSCF4529.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF4532.JPG
    DSCF4532.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF4534.JPG
    DSCF4534.JPG