What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A porter with the following:

Maris otter 4kg
Rolled Oats 500g
Oat Hulls 300g
Chocolate malt 275g
Dextrin malt 250g
Special B 100g

Magnum 20g 60 mins
Brambling cross 69g 0 mins

Irish Ale yeast.

Brew day went ok with a few minor mistakes but missed the OG by a substantial amount. I'm guessing it's the oats again as I'm having issues with any recipe with oats in it.

The Irish stout came out at OG 1049 for a BHE of about 71%, pleased with that. Pitched with US-05 this morning.

jayk34>

That's a whole lotta oats! More than I've put in a an oatmeal stout! But you do seem to lose efficiency with oats. More so than with flaked barley, in fact.

The Irish stout came out at OG 1049 for a BHE of about 71%, pleased with that. Pitched with US-05 this morning.

jayk34>

That's a whole lotta oats! More than I've put in a an oatmeal stout! But you do seem to lose efficiency with oats. More so than with flaked barley, in fact.
Yeah, might have went overboard on the oats slightly 😄 I was 7 points lower than the expected gravity. Might have to do a bit of reading about oats as my attempt at a West Indies Porter last year had a large amount of oats and was much worse than this porter.

jayk>

Yeah, I just checked, and I had 250 g of oats total, which was about 7% of the total grain bill.

Interestingly, I just read a post on another thread saying we should use flaked oats (presumably sourced from a HB shop), not 'ordinary' porridge oats. Although clearly, plenty here do use ordinary porridge oats.

jayk>

Yeah, I just checked, and I had 250 g of oats total, which was about 7% of the total grain bill.

Interestingly, I just read a post on another thread saying we should use flaked oats (presumably sourced from a HB shop), not 'ordinary' porridge oats. Although clearly, plenty here do use ordinary porridge oats.
I wonder if it could be the brand I am using ? It does say that they are rolled oats twice steamed and then kilned for nutty taste. From what I've just read rolled and flaked do not need to be precooked before adding to the mash.

To be honest in haven't a clue if the twice steaming and then kilning is what other producers do to the oats. Might try a different brand the next time I try it

The mash is on Irish red ale, first brew of the year
5A22F209-07E9-4D22-A296-9CA6367EB0BA.jpeg

Well done Rod
Now let see if it turns out red as I have done many red ales and they are only reddish if held up to a light and never look red to me in the glass despite using Bestmaltz red X in abundance

Well done Rod
Now let see if it turns out red as I have done many red ales and they are only reddish if held up to a light and never look red to me in the glass despite using Bestmaltz red X in abundance
I have never used red x, i used roasted barley, brewfather is saying 27.5 ebc which is in style so fingers crossed, the other red i did was a cml ag kit and i have to say it was very very good

Lets hope it is red I will deffo try a different way of creating a red brew by using other grains and not Red X alone. I believe that other grains/crystals can create it so will do a re-read up amd try something different
Ps I wonder if some of the commercials use food colouring?

Brewed yesterday.1st time brewing.
English pale ale Extract kit,with east Kent goldings hops.
Did it **** about face tho.... Added the grains to the pot to steep,then mixed up the dme in a jug..../then saucepan.
Had too much liquid from the grains....
Added all the hop[in net bags]additions at once- then took out the smaller ones. Added at correct times. Added the whilfolc tablet before boil!🤦🏻‍♂️
So a great start! Added half a whilfolc tablet at the end.
A learning curve...

Brewed yesterday.1st time brewing.
English pale ale Extract kit,with east Kent goldings hops.
Did it **** about face tho.... Added the grains to the pot to steep,then mixed up the dme in a jug..../then saucepan.
Had too much liquid from the grains....
Added all the hop[in net bags]additions at once- then took out the smaller ones. Added at correct times. Added the whilfolc tablet before boil!🤦🏻‍♂️
So a great start! Added half a whilfolc tablet at the end.
A learning curve...
Sounds like you had fun, i have made bigger cock ups, like chucking the grains in the kettle without the bag in, it's all part of the fun, hope your brew turns out good athumb..

English IPA

Version 3 of this. My notes tell me I brewed the first version this week last year.

Loosely based on a Thornbridge Seaforth recipe...

OG 1060
Expected abv 6.4%
55 IBUs

94.6% Maris Otter
3.8% Pale Crystal
1.6% Amber

Challenger to bitter
EKG at 10 and flame out

Nottingham yeast

Homebrew purists please don't read this. So I put the water on to brew a tripel, it's my youngest birthday. Things did not go to plan, apparently my 6 year old is a queen. So basically we had a yes day.
Long story short I ended up brewing a raw hazy pale.
5kg Maris otter
1kg oat malt
300g wheat

Story gets better my drug dealer scales stopped working. So I have had to eye ball the hop's. So I roughly went 60g Simcoe and 40g citra whirlpool

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back