What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anchor Steam Ale Clone. '21 litres no sparge'
OG 1,047 FG 1,012 (expected) ABV 4.6% IBU 42.8 SRM 11.2 Mash pH 5.5

5 kg Veloria Schooner
0.5 kg Medium crystal (late addition)
0.250 kg Gladiator dextrin malt (late addition)
43 g Northern Brewer 60 mins
29 g Northern Brewer 15 mins
15 g Northern Brewer 0 mins
San Francisco Lager yeast
Got 23 litres @ 1,046 OG
View attachment 64414View attachment 64415
Very nice

Brewed the 1971 Boddington's recipe on Ron's site yesterday. I've been brewing Bodds recipes to find the best one.

Batch size: 5 gallons US (19L)

OG: 1.036
FG: 1.007

Bitterness: 28 IBU

@70% efficiency

Maris Otter - 4lbs 4.2oz (1.93kg) (67.8%)
Lager Malt - 13 oz (368.5g) (12.9%)
Flaked Corn - 3.3 oz (93.6g) (3.2%)
Enzyme/Distillers Malt - 3.3 oz (93.6g) (3.2%)
Wheat Malt - 3.3 oz (93.6g) (3.2%)
Invert Sugar - 9.7 oz (275g) (9.7%)

Mash @ 151°F (66°C) for 60 minutes

Boil for 90 minutes

Hops:

Fuggles - .72 oz (20.4g) (5.3 AAU) @ 90 minutes

EKG - .72 oz (20.4g) (3.5 AAU) @ 30 minutes

Dry Hop: EKG .25 oz (7.1g) (1.2 AAU)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1968

View attachment 64130

View attachment 64131
I think I am at FG the beer has been sitting at 1.009 for 4 days. Threw in a dry hop of EKG and will bottle or keg next week.
PXL_20220313_161906503.jpg

I think I am at FG the beer has been sitting at 1.009 for 4 days. Threw in a dry hop of EKG and will bottle or keg next week.
View attachment 64670
View attachment 64670
Hi there,
From what I remember from my dim and distant drinking past, Boddie's from the mid 70's was seriously bitter.
28 IBUs doesn't seem to do it justice.
It was known as an out of the mill or pit thirst quencher.
As a soft southerner student Wadworth 6X and Marston's Pedigree drinker, it came as a smack in the back of the head.
It was pale and....... shockingly bitter.

Anyone else on here old enough, and experienced enough to comment?

Hi there,
From what I remember from my dim and distant drinking past, Boddie's from the mid 70's was seriously bitter.
28 IBUs doesn't seem to do it justice.
It was known as an out of the mill or pit thirst quencher.
As a soft southerner student Wadworth 6X and Marston's Pedigree drinker, it came as a smack in the back of the head.
It was pale and....... shockingly bitter.

Anyone else on here old enough, and experienced enough to comment?

This recipe is direct from Ron Pattinson's website and pulled from the brewing records I believe so this is the recipe (minus the yeast of course). This beer comes in pretty pale at 5.5 SRM.

Link to the recipe on Ron's website.

Here is a link to the 1977 Boddington's recipe pulled from brewing records.

The 77' version is less bitter at least one version Ron has another version with different (newer) hops that hits 31 IBU.

From an experience standpoint I can't comment as I've only had the inbev Boddington's and I don't have an argument when it comes to Ron's recipes that he pulled from the records.

Edit: Now I don't know if he had a handle on IBU's for these as it sounds like he wasn't 100% on the hops. You may be right on these recipes being more bitter than he has them as it sounds like he had to guess as the records weren't clear. From a hopped pounds per barrel standpoint though he's probably not far off.

I'll shoot him a PM and ask him on another forum to see if he responds.

Also I wanted to make sure I didn't come across wrong you do make a good point.

One last thing @531Man if you had to put an IBU estimate on it what would you put it at since you've actually had a pint of it?

Also here's a great thread here on it with this particular post by Northern Brewer.

Last edited:
42 litres of Ordinary Bitter.
OG 1,037 FG 1,008 ABV 3.8% IBU 31,3 SRM 9.7 Mash pH 5.5

8.5 kg Veloria Schooner
0,400 kg Gladiator dextrin malt (late addition)
0.300 kg Dark Crystal (late addition)
0.070 kg Chocolate Malt (late addition)
28 g Target hops FWH
23 g Northern Brewer 20 mins
25 g EKG 15 mins.

002.JPG
Adding the late additions.

003.JPG
The lift.

005.JPG 006.JPG
The squeeze. 2.5 litres squeezed out the grain

004.JPG 007.JPG
The boil. Rolling boil 2600 watts.

Not sure where to put this,
As it's not 'drinking', but blending brews it's going here.
This is probably going to get me sent to Coventry, branded and banned.
There were a whole load of nearly finished casks in the garage serving bar that were just dribbling out, so I thought, "why not combine them into a single servable blended cask?"
So this is it - a lovely 10L full of Exmoor, not very hoppy Budvar, Hoppy Pale Ale of Kent and a little English Bitter.
Transferred through a short piece of sterilised tubing, sterilised tap spout to tap spout.
As I am wont to say, what could possibly go wrong?
Excuse me while I dodge the brick-bats.
IMG_20220314_202717.jpg

So it's out to the garage, tipped back to sediment/clear.
I'll give it a few days then report on the 'What are you drinking tonight' thread.
Then I'll be banned from there as well.

Not sure where to put this,
As it's not 'drinking', but blending brews it's going here.
This is probably going to get me sent to Coventry, branded and banned.
There were a whole load of nearly finished casks in the garage serving bar that were just dribbling out, so I thought, "why not combine them into a single servable blended cask?"
So this is it - a lovely 10L full of Exmoor, not very hoppy Budvar, Hoppy Pale Ale of Kent and a little English Bitter.
Transferred through a short piece of sterilised tubing, sterilised tap spout to tap spout.
As I am wont to say, what could possibly go wrong?
Excuse me while I dodge the brick-bats.
View attachment 64777
So it's out to the garage, tipped back to sediment/clear.
I'll give it a few days then report on the 'What are you drinking tonight' thread.
Then I'll be banned from there as well.
Going to start calling you Dr Frankenbrew

42 litres of Ordinary Bitter.
OG 1,037 FG 1,008 ABV 3.8% IBU 31,3 SRM 9.7 Mash pH 5.5

8.5 kg Veloria Schooner
0,400 kg Gladiator dextrin malt (late addition)
0.300 kg Dark Crystal (late addition)
0.070 kg Chocolate Malt (late addition)
28 g Target hops FWH
23 g Northern Brewer 20 mins
25 g EKG 15 mins.
Well my Ordinary Bitter has been promoted to Best Bitter. I couldn't get below 33 C yesterday so left overnight to cool. Down to 25 C overnight, transfered to fermenters and into the cool room. This arvo took a reading for OG 1,046! I did crush the grain finer and has lifted the efficiency by about 10%.
002.JPG

Well my Ordinary Bitter has been promoted to Best Bitter. I couldn't get below 33 C yesterday so left overnight to cool. Down to 25 C overnight, transfered to fermenters and into the cool room. This arvo took a reading for OG 1,046! I did crush the grain finer and has lifted the efficiency by about 10%.
View attachment 64785
That 'finer crush gives greater efficiency' comment helps with my question a few days ago about the cause of an apparently stuck recirculation of a mash of a Pilsner grist where I suspected a (bought like that) fine malt grain crush was the cause.
Then subsequently I too observed an incredibly high brew house efficiency of 92%. (I do always sparge carefully if possible anyway).
I suspect yours is higher than you posted above as well, because the hydrometer indication looks more than 1046 from your photo.
Could be the angle of the image, or maybe there was some temperature correction involved?
All the best with your 'Best Bitter', or maybe even 'Special Bitter'? 🍻🥴

22 Litres of Mosaic IPA
5200g Maris otter
500g Naked oats
300g Wheat malt
30g each of Mosaic at 60m and a hop stand of 20m at 85C
Planning 40g Mosaic dry hops in the 2FV.
CML Five at 19C
OG 1054 which was low expecting 1060, probably due to naked oats.

Supposed to be 21 litres of Standard Brown Porter 1,053 ended up with 23 litres @ 1,050.
4.5 kg Gladfield Ale Malt.
0.45 kg Simpsons Crystal dark (late addition)
0.23 kg Voyager Chocolate malt (late addition)
0.20 kg Gladfield Gladiator malt (late addition)

32 g EKG 60 mins
15 g EKG 15 mins

009.JPG

Mash out, adding none fermentables.

012.JPG 013.JPG

Into the boil.

015.JPG
1,050 temperature adjusted.

View attachment 64941
Mash in :-)
23L of GH European Lager
Here’s to an error-free brewday (touch wood)
Hmmm - well, no process errors today which is pleasing
But on the minus side I got an annoyingly low mash efficiency: 1.030 pre-boil versus 1.039 predicted.
Not quite worked out why yet but possible factors include:
  • low mash pH: I took the water bicarbonate down to about 3ppm (tested) but the pH in the mash looked a tad low (maybe 5.0 - 5.2)
  • single temperature mash: I thought I'd follow the (GH) recipe and do a single infusion mash at 65ºc; but I'd scaled the grain amount for the efficiency of my normal step mash (82%).
  • mash too thick: for some reason the grain was extremely free-running (overly-coarse crush??) I'd set the mash water volume up for 2.3 l/kg on the expectation that the recirculation pump would keep the sump dry but in the end it looked full all the way through - which probably gave me more like 1.7:1
Overall the OG seems to have come out at about 1.034
Hey ho... lawnmower beer it is, then!

Latest posts

Back