What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s normal for a NEIPA.
Thanks Mick. It's my first venture into a NEIPA, and to be honest, I didn't researched any other recipes - just bought the AG kit. I was expecting there to be a bittering addition, even a small one, at some point during the boil. I've just dug out Greg Hughes' bible and a quick flick to page 122 has confirmed what you said. I should have done that in the first place. 🤦‍♂️

Looking forward to this one.

I brewed a 60 Minute (session) darkish IPA (or whatever you would call it)
mashed:
89% Maris Otter
9% CaraCrystal
2% CaraFa II
@72°C for 60 minutes
hops: Marynka and Callista as pre-wort addition and then in a 60 minute boil in continuous doses for 40 minutes, targeting 50 IBU with a moderate overbalance towards later additions.

yeast: Verdant IPA. wee bit too cold at 17°C because the misses banned my fermenter to the celler, so the yeast will have to live with it.
targetinG 3.7 %ABV

Smells now like fuit punch, lets see in a couple of weeks...

Brewed Golden Ale...ish on Sunday with left over stuff, apart from the Yeast, the Home Brew Shop had some MJ44 so went with that.. Boy is it a slow starter.

81% Golden Promise
12.5% Vienna
5% Had some Flaked Barley so chucked that in
1.5% Crystal 100

Hops EKG for bittering then Target for 10min & Hop Stand.. Got a bit of Vic Secret & El Dorado to go with some Target that I'll chuck in for a bit of a dry hop.

Sun is shining, HLT is on...
Trying the Caledonian Deuchars today (BYOBRA).
Hoping for a less bitter result by keeping the sulphates down with 50% RO and only lactic in the mash.
I’ve done that one before, using an “Edinburgh” water profile and found it much less bitter than the original.

It was a brilliant pint though!

Coopers Sparkling Ale clone 1,056 OG, going to have to get my brewing skates on only one fermenter in action.

001.JPG

It’s dry, so the boiler has being set up and I’ve just mashed in for a batch of GH Weissbier I have also decided to splurge on a pack of Imperial G01 Stefon, (I mostly use dried but I do think Weissbier benefits from paying a premium on the yeast).

I’ve done that one before, using an “Edinburgh” water profile and found it much less bitter than the original.

It was a brilliant pint though!

“Much less bitter” isn’t a description I’ve ever applied to any of my brews, for reasons I’ve never really got to the bottom of - so that would be quite welcome.
And my efficiency seems to be back up again: Scaled back the grain nearly 25% and it looks like I will *still* overshoot the OG (rolls eyes)

Brewed a west coast IPA yesterday and pitched it onto half the yeast cake from a Czech pilsner I also kegged. It was Lutra Kveik and went off like a rocket, this video was around 15 minutes after pitching!

West Coast Bob #3.1 - Mag/Cent/Chinook/Sabro/Strata - Joe
Brewfather

404EDCDB-799C-417D-A69C-68C447BAB465.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0960.MOV
    13.5 MB
First brew in a good while yesterday and it was ... "interesting".

The intention was to do an amber lager but I didn't have the saaz in that I thought I had and no other noble hops either. Ended up using cascade and thought I might as well embrace the hoppyness and did a small hopstand addition. Might also do a small dry hop addition.

I then realised that I only had one packet of the CML Hells I was planning on using. No idea what's happened to the other as I'd have ordered a multiple of 2 and wouldn't have used a single pack at any point. It's being fermented warm and under pressure so I decided to see if it'll go with just one pack - there's a pack of lutra on standby just in case though.

No idea what I should call it now. I think it should be pretty good though.

Also, first brew using the Rapt Pill which I completely forgot to set until I got to the boil. So, during a 30-minute boil, I was juggling hop additions and calibrating, registering and linking the pill with brewfather. Thankfully, everything to do with the pill was dead easy but it made for a hectic half-hour.

So, lessons learned. Plan ahead and keep on top of stock control.

Today an IPA can't really call it English as it has Aussie bittering hops. But it is in the style of an English IPA.
Mash at 66C for 1 hour stirred for approximately 10 mins before start of mash countdown stirred every 10 mins until 30 mins reached.
001.JPG
After 60 mins added crystal and dextrin malt for 20 mins at 77C raised to drain.
004.JPG
Boil for 75 mins Ella hops added start of boil EKG hops at 30 mins.
005.JPG
Forecast OG by Brewers Friend 1,053. Happy with that. Brew now sitting in fermenting room currently at 18C with yeast getting itself sorted. Only 10C at the moment outside, feels like a sauna in the fermentation room.
006.JPG

Latest posts

Back