What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20220710_161212.jpg

Just adding 25g of crushed coriander and 25g of orange zest to a blood orange wheat beer.

Mashed in on a strong-ish Porter loosely based on a Kernel Indian Export Porter. 3rd Grainfather brewday - hoping to control the numbers a bit better today!

78.4% MO
6.9% Crystal
6.9% Brown
6.9% Chocolate
1% Carafa III

Bittering hops are a 'use it up' mix of Challenger, Admiral and Fuggles. First Gold for Aroma and modest Dry Hop. 42 IBU.

Liberty Bell yeast.

Hoping for around 5.8% final abv.

20 Litres of First Golden Ale
4500g Maris Otter
250g Wheat malt
30g First Gold @60m
30g First Gold @ 85C whirlpool for 20m
CML Midland @19C
OG 1060 (an incredible 80% BHE) was aiming for 22L at 1048 at 70% BHE.

16L of extract Festbier
2kg Extra light DME (500g + 1500g late addition)
150g Carapils
100g Melanoidin
32g Tettnang 35 mins
10g Tettnang 15 mins
CML Kolsch yeast
Still waiting for it to cool down a bit before checking OG and adding yeast.....

Boiled in my 12L pot. Having a break from AG BIAB, can't believe how easy and stress-free this brew has been.

On Saturday I brewed an English IPA with Harlequin, bittered with Magnum - both hops new to me.
Nearly used remains of some EKG leaf to bitter but thought better off it.
Stupidly forgot to get yeast with my malt/hop order, so nipped in to Wilco's for one of their ale yeasts which I understand to be Nottingham.
Took off overnight and chugging away in the fridge through this heat no problems.

Harlequin IPA
18L batch
Total water 24L ( BIAB no sparge )
OG 1.053
FG 1.013
IBU 52
EBC 19.7

Golden promise 2.7 kg
Extra pale MO 1.6 kg.
Caramalt 350gm
Dark Crystal 150gm

60 mins Magnum 7gm
10 mins Harlequin 20gm

80c hopstand 60mins Harlequin 40gm

dry hop 3 days Harlequin 40gm

Yeast Nottingham

OG was up 3 points, volume a little down.
That was batch #30 , next up another Steam Pilsener to replenish the one that's disappearing a bit quick !

I've just used a kviek yeast for the first time (the Lutra strain from Omega) in a pseudo lager. It's a Vienna lager and I fermented at the lower end of the yeast's temperature range which apparently gives the cleanest flavour profile, ideal for a lager. Clarity isn't something that normally bothers me, but with this being a lager, and wanting to share with non- brewers, I did want a really clear beer this time. So I hit it with every tool in my limited armoury, kettle finings, then leaf gelatin and finally cold crash for about eight days. The trub was really compacted, so fingers crossed. Will post a picture here once it's conditioned - should be good to go this weekend.

User upper. 5k Pale malt, 300g caramalt, then 50 centennial in boil, 50g amarrillo at flame out. Will dry hop with 50g each of citra and mosaic. Not a combination. I’d normally choose, (not sure about the centennial here) but see how it goes. Us05.

19 litres of David Heath's Verdant IPA

I've heard so many people singing its praises that it's one I've really been looking forward to getting around to.

I started quite late due to family commitments but finally went to mash in at about midday. It was only when I went to mash in that I realised the pre-bagged grain weighed around 3800g rather than the 4400g it was supposed to. I rang MM because I genuinely thought I must have missed something because they've never made any kind of a mistake before, but they confirmed it looked like the flaked oats had somehow been missed out of the bag. I was only looking for confirmation of what the discrepancy was, but they went out of their way to apologise sincerely and credit me a generous sum to my account which more than covered the cost of the grain, which was most kind. As I've always said; mistakes are always going to happen, it's how they're dealt with which is important, and this couldn't have been dealt with any better athumb..

Anyway, there was a kilo of wifey's porridge oats in the cupboard so I weighed them out and thew them in to see what happens!

Everything went to plan and I hit all my targets spot on! Which I guess confirms the fermentable were all in the correct proportions. So 19 litres in the fermenter at 19C and 1.051.

I checked this morning, 12 hours later and the yeast is already starting to make great headway 🙂

IMG_9771.jpgIMG_9774.jpgIMG_9783.jpgIMG_9784.jpg

Did a 4L batch of Saison yesterday, fermenting like crazy now at ambient temp :)
Kind of a session Saison as I'm enjoying lighter hopped, lighter strength beers lately.
600g Pale MO
150g Vienna
7g Cascade FWH - 30 min boil
Protafloc 15 mins
5g Cascade 5 mins
5g Coriander 5 mins
CML Lille Saison yeast
🤞

The talk of Pilsner brewing water last week inspired me to brew a Bohemian Pilsner, must be 10 years since I brewed one. Did the old Hochkurz mash for 90 minutes 1 hour at 63C and 1/2 hour at 68C. 90 minutes of vigorous boil so needed 34 litres of water to allow for a boil off of 6 litres.

001.JPG

Not a lot of room to add 6.1 kg of grain.

002.JPG

No room to spare. Phew.

006.JPG

Drain the wort, this is full volume mash.

008.JPG

Squeeze out as much wort as possible with 20 kg weight and a bit pushing from me.

009.JPG

Almost a couple of litres extra, which I had accounted for.

010.JPG

One other thing I did which was different is use the old top screen on the bottom together with the bottom screen.

001.JPG

1,054 shooting for 1,055, hopefully temp adjustment will claw back the missing point.

002.JPG

Clear wort into the fermenter equals clear beer/Pilsner out.

Last edited:
The talk of Pilsner brewing water last week inspired me to brew a Bohemian Pilsner, must be 10 years since I brewed one. Did the old Hochkurz mash for 90 minutes 1 hour at 63C and 1/2 hour at 68C. 90 minutes of vigorous boil so needed 34 litres of water to allow for a boil off of 6 litres.

View attachment 72021
Not a lot of room to add 6.1 kg of grain.

View attachment 72022
No room to spare. Phew.

View attachment 72023
Drain the wort, this is full volume mash.

View attachment 72024
Squeeze out as much wort as possible with 20 kg weight and a bit pushing from me.

View attachment 72025
Almost a couple of litres extra, which I had accounted for.

View attachment 72026
One other thing I did which was different is use the old top screen on the bottom together with the bottom screen.

View attachment 72027
1,054 shooting for 1,055, hopefully temp adjustment will claw back the missing point.

View attachment 72028
Clear wort into the fermenter equals clear beer/Pilsner out.
Good to see your process of full volume mashing.

Couple of days ago I did a no chill, no boil wheat beer, as noted on the thread in Recipes.
An about 12 litre batch, split today between 3 demi-johns. One has 7 g of lightly crushed (mortar and pestle) coriander seeds, one has the peel of two 'easy peelers'. and the third has nothing. Whether those amounts are right,wrong, or indifferent, I don't know. Obviously if I'd boiled up the adjuncts, their effect would have greater, per gram.

Last edited:
Have been on the wagon for the last five weeks and didn't get to brew anything but managed to get 2 done at the weekend

Coconut stout

3.85 kg
— Simpsons Pale Ale Finest Maris Otter — Grain — 5 EBC
500 g — Warminster Flaked Malted Oats — Grain — 4 EBC
500 g — Crisp Flaked Torrefied Barley
415 g — Weyermann Roasted Barley
100 g — Crisp Chocolate Malt
100g roasted coconut in mash
100g roasted coconut in boil
Fuggles in boil
300g roasted coconut in fermenter
CML BEOIR yeast

AIPA

5.5kg pale malt
500g carapils
350g crystal light.
Chinook & centennial in boil
Verdant IPA yeast
Going to try Dry hop in keg with citra and centennial for the first time to try and improve aroma

Couple of days ago I did a no chill, no boil wheat beer, as noted on the thread in Recipes.
An about 12 litre batch, split today between 3 demi-johns. One has 7 g of lightly crushed (mortar and pestle) coriander seeds, one has the peel of two 'easy peelers'. and the third has nothing. Whether those amounts are right,wrong, or indifferent, I don't know. Obviously if I'd boiled up the adjuncts, their effect would have greater, per gram.
Hi, are you using the same yeast across all 3? maybe another experiment could be different fermentation temps split across 3 demi-johns?
sounds fun! look forward to the updates.

No, same yeast. Haven't got the facilities for anything fancy like different fermentation temperatures.

22 litres of Route Citra 6 wheat beer
2500g Pilsner
2500g Wheat
300g Carapils
280g Golden syrup
citra hops
Gretel yeast
late decision to add syrup due to previous wheat beer having low BHE
OG 1053
What's the head retention like on that! I remember last year a wheat I brewed was carbonated fine,tasted fine but had zero head retention which spoiled it a bit for me as i do like a nice fluffy head on a wheat!
Someone did post a great answer as to what causes this but I can't remember!

Latest posts

Back