What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a Wilko Hoppy Copper that needed brewing up before I go BIAB. In the past I've just used regular sugar and the supplied yeast. As the yeats was well out of date I got some Munttons Premuim Gold, added 1kg Riches brewing sugar and thought I'd add a 'teabag of hops towards the end of the ferment as and experiment. Enjoyed the basic brew - intersted to see what this one turns out like. :grin:

Brewed a Hoegaarden clone today. An A.G. kit from Brewolution. At ����£22ish not the cheapest kits but some of the best IMO.
Since it was a little bit out of date, I made a yeast starter yesterday in case it had died, giving me a chance to find a new packet. But I needn't have worried, it went off like a rocket.
I've brewed 3 kits from them before and they turned out to be the best 3 I've ever done.
Today's day started about 8.30 and finished 2.30 - 6 hours by the time I'm cleaned up. Happily, SWMBO went christmas shopping so - whoopie!! - I had the entire kitchen to myself..! A rare treat indeed..!
It's in the brewfridge now at 20degC :thumb:

20171101_093229.jpg

20171101_093311.jpg

20171101_113856.jpg

20171101_124125.jpg

20171101_125950.jpg

I bottled a Coopers IPA with a North Downs steeped tea and a North Downs 6 day dry hop, 6.2%. I put on a Coopers Stout, coffee, chocolate and orange but I'm not holding out much hope for the orange. It's come out at 1060, I chucked in a pack of S05, fitted the blow off tube and then ran for it. I'm not going near that bad boy until Sunday in case it jumps out of the FV and tries to strangle me.

Had a Wilko Hoppy Copper that needed brewing up before I go BIAB. In the past I've just used regular sugar and the supplied yeast. As the yeats was well out of date I got some Munttons Premuim Gold, added 1kg Riches brewing sugar and thought I'd add a 'teabag of hops towards the end of the ferment as and experiment. Enjoyed the basic brew - intersted to see what this one turns out like. :grin:

The Hoppy Copper needs a lot of flavour added to it, a hop tea, a dry hop, it really needs all the help it can get.

I was intending a straightforward copy of GW's Sarah Hughes recipe. However, I decided to use up the opened English hops in the freezer, so the IBU's look to be more like 45 than 30. So it will be a bit more bitter than a mild.

First no-glitch brewday for a while today. I think that brewing with wheat in the GF is a PITA, if I'm honest. Mash went smoothly, with very clear wort and then a nice slow sparge. No clogged up pipework and 25.5L in the FV.

Brewed up a Beerworks (President Sierra Pale Ale) kit yesterday in a new pot with airlock, normally brew in a Coopers FV, them there lifty lid thing. So the first bit of bobbling surprised the mutt and she ran to the other side of the kitchen. Today she is braver and can be near the pot without legging it, but do cast a wary eye at it when it bubbles :)

Paters Bier, Homebrew Handbook. First time I ever used a starter; stepped up T-58 (getting my feet). Had to boil 50% longer than planned to meet target volume. I have a bad feeling I only had 1 of my elements switched on. But I also added a lot of honey and brown sugar, so I'm thinking that probably adds some volume too. Lucky all the hops went in at the start and I was free to continue the boil to target. But then I lost a lot more than I was expecting in the trub. Must remember to adjust trub loss based on hop weight.

Paters Bier, Homebrew Handbook. First time I ever used a starter; stepped up T-58 (getting my feet). Had to boil 50% longer than planned to meet target volume. I have a bad feeling I only had 1 of my elements switched on. But I also added a lot of honey and brown sugar, so I'm thinking that probably adds some volume too. Lucky all the hops went in at the start and I was free to continue the boil to target. But then I lost a lot more than I was expecting in the trub. Must remember to adjust trub loss based on hop weight.

I did a patersbier this morning too, from the Greg Hughes book. Used WLP550, the Chouffe strain though but with no starter as I've read that this yeast does well if slightly underpitched. It was in the fermenter at about 10:45am and it's already showing signs of movement...

Impromptu bitter of sorts.
Retrieved some hops from the freezer and like a pillock I didn’t label - so whacked a concoction of sorts together.

MO Pale
Crystal
Bit of Amber I had left.

Boiling away.

I’ve a feeling the hops were Goldings

... impromptu as decided to brew on a whim after bottling my Totally Tropical Pale !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried to brew a 0.5% beer. A combination of Barley, Rye, Wheat, Crystal malts, mashed at 72C, full volume for 40 minutes. Hopped with a combination of low alpha hops throughout the boil (Bobek, Wai-iti and Riwaka) to 40 IBUs. Fermenting it with WLP028 Edinburgh Ale. Not overly confident about this one, I think I needed more than 20% crystal, but was aiming for a paler more citrusy beer than Brewdog Nanny State.

Impromptu bitter of sorts.
Retrieved some hops from the freezer and like a pillock I didn’t label - so whacked a concoction of sorts together.

MO Pale
Crystal
Bit of Amber I had left.

Boiling away.

I’ve a feeling the hops were Goldings

... impromptu as decided to brew on a whim after bottling my Totally Tropical Pale !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I had mine labelled, but it made precious little difference, since I just chucked the whole lot in. I did save the Styrian Goldings for the end, though, for the finishing hops..

Other than that it was Progress, Fuggles and First Gold. The brew was going to be a Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild (GW) but seems to be now more like an ESB.

Just to add to my first-world-type problems, the re-used US 05, did not seem to kick off as soon as I would have wished, so I have added a new sachet just now.:ugeek:

Sometimes life is just so hard, I have no idea how I cope, right now. :lol:

I found an unlabelled bottle in my garage at the weekend and decided to crack it open. I thought it was a lager, but it turned out to be a really lovely, hoppy, grapefruity ale, which I worked out was the Amarillo and Cascade IPA I made in July.

So as I had an afternoon off and an unopened pack of Citra to play with, I thought I would try and recreate it.

I used pale malt with just 5% amber and bittered it with Magnum then used equal parts of Amarillo, Cascade and Citra at 20 minutes and flameout, to a calculated IBU of 85 and O.G. of 1.056. I ended up with 12 litres and decided to use a full sachet of CML US Pale Ale yeast, as I have a few stuck fermentations recently, which could have been down to underpitching. If its half as good as the last batch, I'll be happy.:grin:

Popped on a wilko cervesa kit, using s-23 yeast, will lager it for at least 4 weeks once finished. Any recommendations on a dry hop?

Didn't brew but bottled 40 @ 7%, I better put a warning on these. As the taster didn't have a hint of the extra boost and it already tasted very quaffable.

Brewed a Saison based on the guidelines in Farmhouse Ales, lager, Munich and wheat malts, hopped with East Kent Goldings and Saaz. Trying out Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale, it's not meant to be as awkward as the dupont strain and should be really fruity and spicy. Came in 3 points high at 1.054, hit dead on the 15 L.

Harviestoun ptarmigan. ..
4.050 kg maris otter
Wheat 180g
Crystal 135g
Black malt 14g
White sugar 135g
Mash 66 for 90
Boil 90
Challenger 40g start
Saaz 13g last 10

Following recipe from G Wheeler book.

Mash on!

Harviestoun ptarmigan. ..
4.050 kg maris otter
Wheat 180g
Crystal 135g
Black malt 14g
White sugar 135g
Mash 66 for 90
Boil 90
Challenger 40g start
Saaz 13g last 10

Following recipe from G Wheeler book.

Mash on!
Sorry to be a nosy bugger but why would he state 150g of white sugar when surely he could have used grain instead.These recipe's do make me wonder.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back