What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another Wherry kit today. But with cultured-up Shepherd Neame 1698 yeast in place of the supplied one. Threw in the yeast together with the DME I used to grow it in. I plan to go gathering hedgerow hops on Thursday and adding some to the Wherry wort as a green hop addition. Should be a bit different....

I'm doing my first brew today festival golden stag! Waiting for temperature of my wort to drop to pitch yeast in its still at 26 hope it's worth it

Just another Wherry kit today. But with cultured-up Shepherd Neame 1698 yeast in place of the supplied one. Threw in the yeast together with the DME I used to grow it in. I plan to go gathering hedgerow hops on Thursday and adding some to the Wherry wort as a green hop addition. Should be a bit different....

Hedgerow hops are generally Goldings, is the wisdom of the Forum, as opposed to that of the poster, who might find a few Nettle Tops in these parts :lol:

Hedgerow hops are generally Goldings, is the wisdom of the Forum, as opposed to that of the poster, who might find a few Nettle Tops in these parts :lol:
Yes. I live in East Kent so I'm assuming EKG's. But I like surprises - (usually)....nettle tops are available here too if all else fails:)
Below is this morning's pic. First time I've used SN yeast and first time I've seen so much activity 1st thing in the morning...! :-?

2016-08-30 07.48.06.jpg

Doing a light pilsner type.
Check out the hoses!!
photo-9-4-16-3-19-09-pm-506.jpg

I really got to get a chiller with threaded fittings.

Today I made a sort of single hop ale, with 5.3kg Maris Otter and 500g Vienna Malt. Hops were 20g Northern Brewer and 100g Hallertau Strisselspalt that were a bargain bin buy from the Worcester Hop Shop. I added these 20/20/60 @ 15/5/0 as Greg Hughes does for all his single hop beers.

This is aiming for something like an Alsace style French beer at around 5.2%.

Great mash and sparge from the coarsely ground MO in the Grainfather and ended up with the target 25L in the FV, with no major cock-up today. Only slight snag was not fitting the hop filter until I had almost finished adding the mashing water. So, familiar routine of bailing out of the GF into a large pot...

This is my 16th brew with the GF and it is a fairly smooth procedure now. I feel more positive about it than I did after the first half dozen or so, all of which seemed to be a major hassle, but still made very good beer.

Making a Czech Dark Lager type.

2250g Pilsner Malt
675g Caramunich Malt
225g Carafa II
250g DME (for a starter)

15g Sterling 60 min
30g Saaz 15min

1pkt Bohemian Lager Yeast

I'm doing a single mash and continuously recirculating the wort. I'm using my fridges Inkbird to control temperature. I'm at the mash stage as we speak.

This is my reason for brewing. I visited Prague last year and tasted the most amazing beer. This is my sole reason for brewing.

My first extract brew with added grains. Discovered they had missed the yeast out of the kit so had to make a dash to my LHS. Other than that it went well, just as supplied, no tweaks.

It's just cooling now, smells lovely.

Pat

Conditioning: Treacle Stout
Fermenting: nothing yet

I know this is going to sound like a complete noob question... but I have been working on this recipe for over 8 months... (LLI... What to do!?!?) and I have tested hops and different combinations but I am stumped. The 60 min. addition, is this really only for IBU's? No matter what hop you use, you'll just get bittering? I have only used Nugget since it has a very high alpha rating. But if I wasn't just focusing on the bitter but more of the quality, would I use, say just cascade even if it is a 60 min. addition? I do like to dry hop and also hop tea at bottling and I come out with a wonderful aroma as well as flavour but I wonder if I could add 1 more point by trying a different bitter hop?

I know this is going to sound like a complete noob question... but I have been working on this recipe for over 8 months... (LLI... What to do!?!?) and I have tested hops and different combinations but I am stumped. The 60 min. addition, is this really only for IBU's? No matter what hop you use, you'll just get bittering? I have only used Nugget since it has a very high alpha rating. But if I wasn't just focusing on the bitter but more of the quality, would I use, say just cascade even if it is a 60 min. addition? I do like to dry hop and also hop tea at bottling and I come out with a wonderful aroma as well as flavour but I wonder if I could add 1 more point by trying a different bitter hop?

I don't know the actual answer, but I assume they must give different qualities of bittering flavour.

I'm basing this on the fact my next brew (DIY Dog Santa Paws, brewing it a week on Monday) uses 3 different types of hop, all in at the start of the boil, and it doesn't use any aroma hops. If that wasn't the case I would assume the recipe would only bitter with 1 hop type.

Bittering hops can give some flavour if you,say, are using them in a pale ale rather than a stout, especially if it's a highly hopped beer like an IPA.
There is also the 'type' of bittering. Some hops give a smooth bittering whilst others give a more harsh bittering. This is in some (if not all) down to the co-humolene content of the hops. A lower co-humolene figure gives a smoother bittering. I've recently started to use simco as a bittering hop as it's high alpha and low co-humolene. Magnum is similar and more well know for it's smooth bittering

I'd be really interested to see how the wherry turns out with the SN yeast - keep us posted

I'd be really interested to see how the wherry turns out with the SN yeast - keep us posted

I will be posting, but just now, it's still fermenting, - slowly. I added some DME at the start, because I like a bit more body, which may account for it's reluctance to finish. I also added, (foolishly perhaps), some green hedgerow hops a few days back (4 or 5.? Can't remember exactly), but, as terrym rightly pointed out, I was taking a bit of a risk doing that. But the lovely fresh, hoppy smell coming from the airlock suggests I may have got away with it. (Fingers crossed). If it turns out any good I'll save you a couple of bottles:drunk:

Bittering hops can give some flavour if you,say, are using them in a pale ale rather than a stout, especially if it's a highly hopped beer like an IPA.
There is also the 'type' of bittering. Some hops give a smooth bittering whilst others give a more harsh bittering. This is in some (if not all) down to the co-humolene content of the hops. A lower co-humolene figure gives a smoother bittering. I've recently started to use simco as a bittering hop as it's high alpha and low co-humolene. Magnum is similar and more well know for it's smooth bittering
That's an absolute crackerjack of an answer. :thumb:

Just chucked a wheat beer into the cube wich will turn into a raspberry wheat beer.
Funny about the bittering hop posts up a bit as this beer called for 20g of challenger. I had 15g opened and didn't really want to open a fresh pack so just topped it up with target, should this be ok? as the open packs of hops in my fridge are getting out of control!!

Also put on a cider can kit on that the brother in law gave me for xmas, I don't know why he gave it to me? he knows I hate the stuff since steeling my uncles homebrew when I was a teen:oops:

Anyway off to the supermarket to cry at the price of raspberries

I havent brewed in a month :shock: So I've just finished making an Ordinary Bitter. The grist is fairly basic; 95% Lager malt (as that's what I have in) 5% med crystal. I used simcoe for bittering and 4 different flavouring hops to use up bits I have in my freezer.
I will ferment with Shepard Neames yeast that I've just cultured up to pitchable level. I'm also using this brew to grow enough SN yeast for my next brew, 55L of Brown Ale

Latest posts

Back