What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled a gallon of demisweet showmead, and racked a Bulldog Mixed Berries (used 1122 instead of the bulldog yeast&sweetener-sh!t) onto proper mixed berries, dry as a rock but it'll be good when cooled in the summer, so there.

Attachments

• 20180203_171035_HDR.jpg
    20180203_171035_HDR.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180203_161020_HDR.jpg
    20180203_161020_HDR.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 70
Does yesterday count? I didnt pitched till late in the evening.
If so,
I just brewed an 14l batch of

2.7kg tipple
110g medium crystal
100g TW

60 min 16g centinnial
30 min 9g centennial
10min 10g cascade

IBU 35.59
OG 1.074

Mangrove jack liberty bell yeast

I did an overnight mash so the hydro reading was way above what brewers friend had predicted at 1.049.
Has anyone else noticed massive effiencey differences with overnight mashes?

Nothing overly complicated today, brewday went easy though! Using a hop spider which makes the clean up a lot easier.

Today was what appears to be a Boltmaker clone - East Kent Goldings as the hops which usually make a lovely beer at the pub

Having finished nights I was just too tired yesterday to be bothered but instead I measured out the sparge and mash water, as well as doing the mash treatments which I think will be the future as this saved a lot of faff time today. I even had time to get the Beef Brisket in the slow cooker during the mash so there’s something to look forward to today.

Attempted a clone of 3 Floyds Alpha King (recipe here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/3-floyds-alpha-king-clone/)

Very smooth brewday - overshot the OG by 3 points but finally worked out how to drain the boiler without clogging the bazooka filter so had crystal clear wort for the first time.

Also did some properly measured water treatment for the first time rather than just chucking in a teaspoon of gypsum. According to the calculator on here I needed another teaspoon and a half of gypsum and a couple of grams of table salt and epsom salt so I was never far wrong with what I'd been doing, but I can't wait to see if this makes a significant difference. The wort tasted great before the yeast was pitched at least!

Nothing overly complicated today, brewday went easy though! Using a hop spider which makes the clean up a lot easier.

Today was what appears to be a Boltmaker clone - East Kent Goldings as the hops which usually make a lovely beer at the pub

Having finished nights I was just too tired yesterday to be bothered but instead I measured out the sparge and mash water, as well as doing the mash treatments which I think will be the future as this saved a lot of faff time today. I even had time to get the Beef Brisket in the slow cooker during the mash so there’s something to look forward to today.
The slow cooker makes so much sense when brewing. Good tip for next weekend brew

Attempted a clone of 3 Floyds Alpha King (recipe here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/3-floyds-alpha-king-clone/)

Very smooth brewday - overshot the OG by 3 points but finally worked out how to drain the boiler without clogging the bazooka filter so had crystal clear wort for the first time.

Also did some properly measured water treatment for the first time rather than just chucking in a teaspoon of gypsum. According to the calculator on here I needed another teaspoon and a half of gypsum and a couple of grams of table salt and epsom salt so I was never far wrong with what I'd been doing, but I can't wait to see if this makes a significant difference. The wort tasted great before the yeast was pitched at least!
I added a quarter of a campden for the first time and as you say i noticed the sample tasted great. Fingers crossed for both of us

Well an unexpected brew today using my new shiny burco boiler supplied by @Buster

New one for me, Belgian blonde BIAB, which didn't go as smoothly as hoped.

3kg Pilsner
1kg pale ale
600g sugar

50g tattanger 60mins
30g tattanger 0mins (wanted Hallertau but LHBS didn't have any yesterday)

60 min mash at 65
60 min boil

Target OG 1055

Aimed for 20l starting with 25l in boiler. Started boil with 21l after no sparge and got 17 into FV after boil due to an issue with the tap so had to scoop and strain. OG came out at a massive 1.070. Topped to 19l with cooled boiled water OG came down to 1062 which is still way over target at 80% efficiency according to brewersfriend.

Major issues started when what I thought was a male hose connector to hook up my chiller to outside hose wasn't one. What to do to chill?. After a bit net searching, I just took a risk based on but instinct and put it straight into the FV which was sat in really cold water bucket. Made sure I replaced water to keep the cold water cold to bring it down. 3 hours later it is at 30degrees in the garage fully sealed. Hoping it comes down another 10degrees before bedtime so can pitch the yeast. God only knows how this is gonna turn out.

I'm getting concerned about a beer I made last Thursday. I pitched with Gervin yeast that had been re-hydrated at 35°C, after reading an article linked from this forum. After nearly four days at a constant 19°C, there has been no airlock activity at all and then lid of the FV isn't even domed. Out of panic I did take a sneaky peak under the lid and there is a thin head (~1/4") of yeast on top, but I can put it down to one of two possibilities.

First, the yeast was harmed by the temperature of the re-hydrating water, or

Second, the yeast is working normally, but the seal is not quite airtight. (I had an issue when removing the airlock from the grommet after the previous brew in that FV and by using BF&I, eventually managed to pull it out, dragging the grommet out with it.)

I have ordered a new grommet to replace the suspect one before the next brew, but believe that this situation shouldn't adversely affect this beer (I have read that many members don't use an airlock), but I have also got a spare packet of yeast at the ready, just in case. I am wary of opening unnescessarily, even to take a gravity reading, but how long should I wait before checking and if necessary re-pitching?

I'm getting concerned about a beer I made last Thursday. I pitched with Gervin yeast that had been re-hydrated at 35°C, after reading an article linked from this forum. After nearly four days at a constant 19°C, there has been no airlock activity at all and then lid of the FV isn't even domed. Out of panic I did take a sneaky peak under the lid and there is a thin head (~1/4") of yeast on top, but I can put it down to one of two possibilities.

First, the yeast was harmed by the temperature of the re-hydrating water, or

Second, the yeast is working normally, but the seal is not quite airtight. (I had an issue when removing the airlock from the grommet after the previous brew in that FV and by using BF&I, eventually managed to pull it out, dragging the grommet out with it.)

I have ordered a new grommet to replace the suspect one before the next brew, but believe that this situation shouldn't adversely affect this beer (I have read that many members don't use an airlock), but I have also got a spare packet of yeast at the ready, just in case. I am wary of opening unnescessarily, even to take a gravity reading, but how long should I wait before checking and if necessary re-pitching?

If you have already taken the lid of you should of had a taste. Probably a leak in your FV. If it tastes like beer its fermenting. Take a hydrometer reading.

.......... I pitched with Gervin yeast that had been re-hydrated at 35°C, after reading an article linked from this forum. ..............

Personally, I would NEVER rehydrate a yeast at 35*C! The highest temperature I have EVER used (for rehydrating and for making a starter) is 25*C.

This doesn't mean that your yeast isn't working. I've had many brews where the only indication of activity is that the trub at the bottom of the FV has grown over a weeks worth of observation.

Personally, I would tap down the lid with a rubber mallet (just in case it's leaking due to not being firmly attached) and after a couple of days and still with no signs of life I would lift the lid and take an SG.

If, from the SG, I was convinced that the yeast really wasn't doing its stuff then I would chuck in a sachet of dried Wilco Ale Yeast, tap down the lid again and wait another ten days before having another look.:gulp:

If you have already taken the lid of you should of had a taste. Probably a leak in your FV. If it tastes like beer its fermenting. Take a hydrometer reading.

...If, from the SG, I was convinced that the yeast really wasn't doing its stuff then I would chuck in a sachet of dried Wilco Ale Yeast, tap down the lid again and wait another ten days before having another look.

Thanks for the advice. I have opened it up again and taken a hydrometer reading. And its good news, it was down to 1.016 (from 1.055) and it actually tasted rather pleasant.

I don't believe there was any problem with the seal between the lid and the bucket, I think it was seal between the lid and the grommet for the airlock. I can have a closer look when it has finished and been bottled.

...If, from the SG, I was convinced that the yeast really wasn't doing its stuff then I would chuck in a sachet of dried Wilco Ale Yeast, tap down the lid again and wait another ten days before having another look.

Thanks for the advice. I have opened it up again and taken a hydrometer reading. And its good news, it was down to 1.016 (from 1.055) and it actually tasted rather pleasant.

I don't believe there was any problem with the seal between the lid and the bucket, I think it was seal between the lid and the grommet for the airlock. I can have a closer look when it has finished and been bottled.

Good news. If it's down to 1016 you could try and give the bottom a gentle stir and put it somewhere warmer., Ightfield get it a bit lower.

Bottling a Wilko Pilsner with an East Kent Goldings hop tea and dry hop. Re-pitched Wilko Gervin,I'm hoping at about 6% or a shade over. Next on is a Muntons Connoisseurs Traditional Bitter with First Gold. I've got a MGJ M10 Workhorse left over from the summer to use up so that's going in the. Luckily I have a Coopers English Bitter to help me out.

Attachments

• _20180206_202306.JPG
    _20180206_202306.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 69
This evening brewing the Muntons kit I bought from HBC back in November and half way through I find the BBE date of Dec 2016 on the tin. It never crossed my mind to check. Have to say that I'm really disappointed I thought better of them. I've mailed them, we'll what they say.

Attachments

• DSC_0342.JPG
    DSC_0342.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 76
An American type pale ale. ...Pale malt ,carapils and torrified wheat...using up my supply of citra,simcoe and Amarillo. CML American yeast. Mash on!
Mash turned to 2 hours as I nipped out with the dog and for a brew at mothers. ..
Trying 2 x 10 litres for the sparge today to see if it ups my efficiency.
Well that went well! It seems the different sparge method is the key to improving my efficiency.
My og was 1053 giving me bhe of 75.4%..my previous average was a consistent 68%....I'm very pleased! Wort tastes great too!
Another new thing for brew day was the extension hoses for my chiller which saved carrying the boiler across the kitchen to the sink for cooling.

Last edited:
Madea kolsch for the first time this afternoon.

2.6 pilsner
.100 carapills
.100 Vienna
Saaz 20g at start near end and end.

Planned to brew but seem to run out of time ....well enough time to be done by the time the Mrs gets home.
Bottled my gh Yorkshire bitter though so got a free fv.
Yesterday's pale is bubbling furiously!

Used up some left over crystal malt from my last brew so I made this up;

4kg extra pale Maris Otter
200g Crystal 100
200g Carapils

Mashed 90 mins with 11.5 litres holding 65-66C

Sparged with enough to fill my boil bucket to half inch off full so circa 26 litres of sparge. This often gives me 23L if doing a 60 min boil

For the hops, I had 100g of Mosaic 11% and didn’t want any harsh bitterness so a trial was;

4g @ 60min
16g @ 15min
28g @ 5min
20g Whirlpool 80c
32g dry hop say 5 days in

S.G. 1.042

Pitched Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast at 2am this morning when I was finished, no signs of life yet. What was nice is the frost outside had cooled the cold water supply so much that temps came down in no time at all.

Latest posts

Back