What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m doing a hefeweizen today. It should be one of the easiest brewdays for a while - I bought enough grain for 23L but then realised that I need a lot of headroom for a Hefeweizen yeast so will brew to 19L. With this being the case I’ll do a “true” no sparge BIAB. Single infusion mash (68C), the only hop additions being 60mins, and no protofloc.

2kg Crisp extra pale
250g Munich
2.25kg IREKS light wheat malt
22g Saaz for 60mins
Ferment at 24C with MJ M20 Bavarian wheat, which is slap bang in the middle of the recommended temperature range.

Targeting 1.051SG and 12 IBUs

I’m doing a hefeweizen today. It should be one of the easiest brewdays for a while - I bought enough grain for 23L but then realised that I need a lot of headroom for a Hefeweizen yeast so will brew to 19L. With this being the case I’ll do a “true” no sparge BIAB. Single infusion mash (68C), the only hop additions being 60mins, and no protofloc.

2kg Crisp extra pale
250g Munich
2.25kg IREKS light wheat malt
22g Saaz for 60mins
Ferment at 24C with MJ M20 Bavarian wheat, which is slap bang in the middle of the recommended temperature range.

Targeting 1.051SG and 12 IBUs
Very smooth brewday. Everything done by 11:30. Got just under 20L in the FV at 1.053.

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 15.25.28.png
20180421_141759_HDR.jpg
20180421_124614_HDR.jpg

What is a pale stout?

Originally stout just means stronger than normal. What we think of as stout originated as stout porter, ie. stronger than normal porter. Of course such things as modern Guinness are actually p**s weak compared to 19th century porter.

So pale stout is strong pale ale. There were also stout milds as well. Milds at the time started out at 7% and went up to 11% so a stout mild would be at the upper end.

Very smooth brewday. Everything done by 11:30. Got just under 20L in the FV at 1.053.
I’d read that it could take 36-38hrs for MJ M20 to kick off, but this one started going in about 8 hours. My FV hardly ever gives me any airlock activity but it’s been bubbling away loudly for the last hour!

Bit late posting, did Gale's Festival Mild on Saturday. It's "mild" by IBU at 24, but not by ABV at 5.5%. Was outside in searing heat, not really the weather for a winter beer. Anyway, another one to the portfolio. My previous (first) darker beer, a Guinness, came out like Guinness West Indies, an absolute beauty, so I'm hoping this one is as rich.

It's my first beer brewed that went straight into my new fermentation fridge. Believe me, an absolute treat to have.

Brewed nothing, but received a few beers because I took over some classes from a slightly overworked colleague. Translated from left to right: Scumbags, Can't give a sh!t, Bully.
I guess they liked my classes? :laugh8:

20180426_123617_HDR.jpg

Brewed my first beer in about a month today, so I decided to make it a big one, a Pliny the Elder clone. Recipe from here https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/russian-river-pliny-the-elder-clone/
I made a couple of tweaks; couldn't get any more Columbus hops, so substituted Magnum for the bittering, reserving the Columbus I had for the 45 min and dry hop additions. Also I replaced a kilo of the pale malt with some extra pale that needed using up. This was easily the largest grain bill I have done in the Grainfather and the wort seemed very slow to drain through the grain bed during the mash, however the sparge went through very quickly. Finished the boil and started to chill, when I noticed the 0 minute Centennial was still on the table, in a panic, I chucked them in a muslin bag and made a hop tea, gentle squeeze and poured into the FV with the chilled wort. Pitched at 21°C with pack of US05 and half a pack of MJ West Coast I found in the freezer, both rehydrated at 40°C.
Realised that I had also forgotten to measure the OG so quickly tested some of the dregs with a refractometer, which gave 1.069, 3 points below recipe.

Do you guys think we should have a separate thread for kits on this subject. I don't really wanna post on here as I'm a kitter;)

Get it posted...no room for kitsnobbery!
:laugh8:
OK. Here goes.
John bull best bitter 1 can 1.8kg.
1kg Minton's beerkit enhancer
150g raw cane sugar(because it was in the cupboard)
Brewed to 21.5 Lts using half bottled water/half tap.
Planning on a hop pellet addition towards the end of fermentation,
Options: saaz, el-dorado, first gold.
Any advice on which hop and how much would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds great! Don't know about eldorado, saaz is usually used in lager...but you can do what you like! I'd go with first gold...wait til fermentation is finished then dry hop with as much as you dare for 4 days.

I have just tried my esb (usually 5.6% all grain biab with goldern syrup added at the end - everyone who trys it enjoys it) and this time ended up at 6.5% brewed on the last warm weekend. Probably the last warm period of the year. Really strong on the alcohol front and lost the lovely nutty taste i usually get. Any advice on what to do with it - other than drink it!
Had three pints and had to go for a lie down.

Bottled the Hefewheat Champion of the World today after just a week in primary. Finished at 1.012 giving me 5.12%ABV and 76% attenuation. Early taster was very promising.

This was by far the quickest and easiest beer I’ve brewed, could be as quick as 2 weeks gain to glass depending on how quickly it carbonates.

Bottled the Hefewheat Champion of the World today after just a week in primary. Finished at 1.012 giving me 5.12%ABV and 76% attenuation. Early taster was very promising.

This was by far the quickest and easiest beer I’ve brewed, could be as quick as 2 weeks gain to glass depending on how quickly it carbonates.
Great name!

OK. Here goes.
John bull best bitter 1 can 1.8kg.
1kg Minton's beerkit enhancer
150g raw cane sugar(because it was in the cupboard)
Brewed to 21.5 Lts using half bottled water/half tap.
Planning on a hop pellet addition towards the end of fermentation,
Options: saaz, el-dorado, first gold.
Any advice on which hop and how much would be greatly appreciated.
Use the |First Gold in a bitter the saaz as Clint said is for lagers and the Eldorado is really IPA tackle

Latest posts

Back