What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First try at a dark beer - a Mild
3kg. Maris Otter
400g. Cristal 120
500g oats - el cheapo porridge oats from the supermarket
250g. Black malt
500g. pale malt extract (leftover from my klit brewing days, still in date though)
Mash at 66/67c, dunk sparge/mashout at 75c Mash Ph 5.5
30g.first wort EKG, 60 min. boil
Should end up with 21/22 lit. at around 4.7 abv.
Cheers

Last edited:
40 pints of Brewmaster IPA with half the sugar swapped for 500g Muntons hopped spraymalt . I needed something to put in a barrel a mate donated.

Further to my previous post #1243 Mild
all now in the fermenter, 22lit at 13brx. (converts to 1.0526) gives me a 78% efficiency. I think this is due to the fact that I mashed for 90min and for the first time did a mash out/dunk sparge for 20 min at 75c, a refractometer was used to do the pre & post boil gravity. If I'm right (I did run everything through brewers friend) a longer mash and a mash out seems to be the way to go.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Just brewed a simple coopers canadian blone w/ brew enhancer 1 to put in a corny keg for friends coming round in a few weeks for a BBQ. First time brewing this, but should be a simple beer that pleases everyone.

Some sort of experimental stout. Checked the refractometer before filtering and it gave 29 Brix. So I'll wait for the ole' hydrometer for better readings.

I did my second ever AG lager. A simple Bavarian Pilsner that hopefully will be conditioned and ready for summer quaffing by late June. 95% pilsner and 5% munich malt. Bittered to 35 IBU with magnum and flavoured with hallertau mittelfruh. Got it down to 10C overnight in the brew fridge and pitched a 3 litre starter of Wyeast 2308 (Bavarian) before going to work this morning.

Trying an "own brew", forgive the name I hope!
25 litre using 2.5 kilo of dark DME, 1kilo of honey and 50g of Goldings and 60g of Halatauer, if my spelling is OK.
Also added 100g of crystal malt, course grind.
First boil 1.25k of dark DME in 12.5 litres with the hops, Irish moss and the crystal malt for 45 minutes, add 100g wheat grains, course grind for the last five minutes of boil.........
The remaining 1.25 kilo of DME added and allowed to stand unheated for 15 minutes.
Made up to 25 litres and cooled, then added some British ale yeast,
Now await fermentation ending and it'll end up in a keg.

Last edited:
IMG_0020.JPG

Using up some odds and sods today for a pale ale this afternoon.

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - super efficient brew ending up at 1.060.
Short of 1% over the estimated ABV of 5.7%.....
Storming brew day though, sat in the garden sipping beer. Even managed to mow the lawns between mash and boil !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today I put down my first ever IPA. It is a Mr Beer Long Play IPA, from their craft range. So it will give me around 11 bottles in the end. I followed the instructions to the word, so hopefully all will turn out well. Only a few hours on and there are a few bubbles forming on the top but nothing mad. Hopefully it will start to get going in the next 12 hours or so. For this I will be following the 2 - 2 - 2 rule, as I did this with the last one I did (Mr Beer - Northwest Pale Ale) and the is starting to be a very nice drink.

This is the first IPA that I have made and even tries. I have head a lot about them so I hope this turns out well and gives me an insight into the IPA world.

AA07547A-79DA-4C69-B4C2-11E6BF05193E.jpeg

Brewed the U Fleku Czech dark lager clone today for the second time. Surprised myself with how nice it was and fortunately kept the yeast from the first one a few weeks ago. Went absolutely bonkers in the starter so hopefully it’ll blow the top off the brew fridge.

Bit of trial and error with the Brulosophy quick lagering method set up in MyBrewbot so should be able to forget about it for a month or so and get a notification on my phone when it’s ready!

Bit late posting, did Gale's Festival Mild on Saturday. It's "mild" by IBU at 24, but not by ABV at 5.5%. Was outside in searing heat, not really the weather for a winter beer. Anyway, another one to the portfolio. My previous (first) darker beer, a Guinness, came out like Guinness West Indies, an absolute beauty, so I'm hoping this one is as rich.

It's my first beer brewed that went straight into my new fermentation fridge. Believe me, an absolute treat to have.

The Gales Festival Mild worked out well for me. I would have repeated the recipe, but I decided to brew another basic recipe proportion to a similar strength. Not tested yet the "scaled up"Banks' Hanson s Mild from BYOBRA, but it is in the queue.

Latest posts

Back