What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Friday I brewed James Morton's Totally Tropical IPA, but swapped the citra hops with the Bru 1 hops kindly sent to me by Svenito, and swapped the WLP001 with Vermont Ale Yeast.

21 litres of Witbier sitting at 22c in the Fermentation freezer after my first outdoors brew. Used the Greg hughes recipe, but OG came out a bit higher at 1.060 :gulp:

Got some good beer (hopefully) and a nice tan :cheers3:

Had some Gooseberries taking up space in the freezer. So brewed a Gooseberry Pale Ale with Citra and Nelson Sauvin. Mashed at 67c with Carapils and malted Rye to counter the sugars from the gooseberries thinning things out.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Kegged 50 litres of nettle beer that I added hops to the boil of and dry hopped. Had a cheeky taste as it was going in and it's so weird - first it just tastes like normal nettle beer then after you stop it tastes exactly like you've been drinking a proper pint of bitter. And I mean exactly. It really made me aware that there's a complete separation of flavour and aroma.

I brewed an Adnams Broadside AG clone on sunday and tried MJ M15 Empire Ale yeast for the first time.

Doing some research I thought I'd need to rouse the yeast after a couple of days. It took off like a rocket the following morning and lo and behold 24 hours later (this morning) the krausen had dropped completely, so I presumed the yeast had dozed off and it had stuck. However I took a reading and it's down at 1.014 from 1.048. My experiment with WY1968 was the same very short frantic primary fermentation.

Time will tell, but I'm optimistic

Bottled my American pale which had a nice 100g dry hop...smells quite delicious!
Having an empty fv and little time I decided to use my last kit. A muntons Belgian ale which I subbed the yeast with a CML Belgian.
I did however drop the proverbial testicle as the box said "40 pint craft ale kit" but the instructions said "top up to 36 pints"...I did the former! Which should give me beer of 5.5% or so instead of 7.5%...which for me is probably a better situation!

23L of pseudo lager for the summer. Based on recommendations I tried the GH Kolsch recipe, but substituted a little Vienna, when I ran out of carapils. I bought a bag of Tettnag aroma hops, but used 16g of Magnum for bitterring, I actually ended up using rather more Tettnang, because they were 2014 harvest and low AA. Cooled to 20°C and pitched with CML Kolsch yeast, rehydrated at 30°C. It's now in my brewfridge chilling to 18°C, OG measured at 1.059, cf 1.046 in the recipe, looking at the calculator, that gives me an efficiency of 94%. :thumb:

I’m off work today, primarily to do the garden(paint shed, summer house and playhouse; stain decking, cement in the kids’ swing; spread weedkiller), but I’d be as well sticking a brew on since I still have 2 custom grain kits sitting around.

My stocks are ok so I’m doing a Belgian Dubbel. It’s the first beer I’ve done that will need significant conditioning time.

5.25kg Crisp Extra Pale
180g Special B
375g caramunich I
500g Brown Candi sugar

25g Challenger for 60mins

Ferment with MJ Belgian Tripel

Aiming for around 7.4%

Yesterday morning I got a summer ale on the go, a straight copy of the one from home brew beer.

I got called away at lunchtime, so instead of 90 minutes, the mash was 6 and a half hours!

Obviously mash efficiency was through the roof 89%. Temp started at 66 and was down to 54 by sparge time, so still hot.

I ended up with meeting the estimated OG but with a 2.5l higher volume in the FV. I had to adjust the hop schedule slightly to maintain IBU.

Pitched Nottingham Ale yeast and into the fridge. Some activity this morning, it's fermenting at 18C

Brewed a Mosaic Ale yesterday, was aiming for 23 litres in the fermenter but ended up with a pre boil gravity of 1.048, rather than the 1.044 I was aiming for so I had to add a litre of water.

Fermenting away nicely at 18 degrees, trying out my new temperature control for my brew bucket for the first time. Its certainly efficient, I'd managed to get my wort down to 21 degrees using my counterflow chiller, set the cooler to 18 degrees and it had hit it within 15 minutes. Only 2 frozen 2l bottles of water, submerged in water in the cool box too.

Attachments

• IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 56
Did the GH raspberry wheat on Saturday and GH American wheat on Sunday, efficiency still all to cock and I think the brew fridge is on it's last legs as well.

I’m off work today, primarily to do the garden(paint shed, summer house and playhouse; stain decking, cement in the kids’ swing; spread weedkiller), but I’d be as well sticking a brew on since I still have 2 custom grain kits sitting around.

My stocks are ok so I’m doing a Belgian Dubbel. It’s the first beer I’ve done that will need significant conditioning time.

5.25kg Crisp Extra Pale
180g Special B
375g caramunich I
500g Brown Candi sugar

25g Challenger for 60mins

Ferment with MJ Belgian Tripel

Aiming for around 7.4%
I hit 1.066 which was bang on. Brewers Friend reckons it’ll get 85% attenuation with the yeast which should be phenomenal!

It’s a bit paler than I’d anticipated though.

Last edited:
Belgian Blond, with Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka and Elderflowers late in the boil, aiming for something akin to Duvel Triple Hop, but with the aromatic notes of a Sauvignon Blanc. Using Safale BE256 for the first time, dry pitched with no aeration, to test out the recent Fermentis advice.

Oktoberfest. (A.G. kit) came in at 1.053. It used Pilsner, Vienna, Crystal, & Cara Gold malt.
Tettnanger hops for bittering, Hersbrucher hops for flavouring
On the packet it reads: "Standard lager yeast" ( no idea what that is)
The day went OK, no real surprises & it's bubbling in the brewfridge at 15ºC - all good (...probably).....?

Did an ish version of GH Weissbier last night :

Wheat 0.65kg
Lager 0.55kg
70 min mash, 70 min boil, full volume BIAB
3g Hersbrucker @ 70
2g Saaz @ 70
CML Kristallweizen in fridge @ 20C so not expecting the bubblegum etc
Came out at 1040 instead of 1050 which is typical of late

Tonight I'm currently in the middle of GH Southern Brown Ale, did a 90 min mash and using values plugged into BF at 48% efficiency just to see. This afternoon did a boil with just water just to get an idea of losses and see if too much water might be one of the possible issues although if it turns out I do brew at ~50% efficiency using this method then so be it.

32765422_1459775150799110_1733967903297896448_n.jpg
32948279_1461528650623760_1782205441208483840_n.jpg
32970618_1461528530623772_9125681506763669504_n.jpg
I brewed Beerworks Bohemian Blonde Pilsner made by Love Brewing. Looks like a good kit although the instructions forgot to say when tp to add the glucose and I had to call for advice. it is showing to around 7% potential ABV so it will likely come in around the kit's target of 6% ABV. BTW I bought this via Amazon and paid £5.99 delivery, to buy direct it would have cost almost £16 delivery just because I live in the Highlands, but in the city of Inverness. Not like we are remote.

Well did not brew but did bottle my Coopers Craft Long Play IPA. It had been in the fv for 2 weeks 5 days and only now did I have chance to bottle. It was still a little cloudy but it tasted really nice. Hopefully the time in the bottle will clean it up and further improve the taste. So now the hard part, 4 weeks of looking at it and waiting.

Latest posts

Back