What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian Whitbier 23 l

2.7 kg Belgian 2 row Pilsner malt
2.4 kg Belgian Wheat Malt
0.4 kg Acidulated Malt
0.4 kg flaked oats
0.2 rice hulls
8g NZ Chinook
20g Motueka
15g Madarina Baveria

Mangrove Jack Belgian Wit M21
50g grated orange peel
13 g crushed coriander seed
1g chamomile.

Awsome aroma

A Citra pale ale. OG 1.050. Bittered with Target, Citra at flameout, cooled to 80C and as a dry hop.

Showing a pal how to make a simple biab/stove top 10l brew as he wants to take up the hobby.
2kg maris otter
250g crystal
100g flaked barley
challenger hops for bittering
fuggles and/or ekg for flavour/aroma.

Haven't a clue what the result will be like, I either follow recipes religously or, like now, bung it in and see what happens LOL

I've mopped up...got a continuous bubble in the blow off bottle.

It's days like your having today when I think ...

"I should ferment in a 2 litre bottle and save the 23 litre bucket for the Blow-Off." :laugh8:

Your obviously past the "honeymoon period"; i.e. that period when SWMBO would say ...

"Move out of the way darling. I'll clean that mess up while you sit down and have a brew!"

Actually, I'm pretty sure that I dreamt the last bit! :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

Ha,not likely! She thinks I'm doing "stuff" today....I washed my car..and proceeded to laze round doing not much else. Oh well ...some times you need a lazy day. The good news is in her wisdom many months ago she got me to book Saturday and Sunday off work this week..which happen to be night shifts AND a bank holiday weekend.So two days to work then off for six...

Anyone got a good recipe for a Taurus and Target ale? :groupdancing:

20180822_173004_HDR.jpg
20180822_173022_HDR.jpg

Trying Clibits Simple AG recipe tonight with Northdown Hops, Gravity Reading after Mash was 1.060 so far so good, Still ongoing with the brew almost at the end of the boil.

Sounds good. Northdown was one of the first dual purpose (bittering and flavour) hops to be highly regarded in its own right.

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Hi Slid thank you for letting me know about the Northdown Hops, really useful information for me as I am still finding my way when it comes to bittering and flavour.
Beers in the Jar fermenting, forgot to take a gravity reading before adding the yeast post boil but all looks good, I had the best gravity reading so far after Mash out of three Brews so I am confident, plus Clibit obviously knows his Onions !

Cheers

Hi Slid thank you for letting me know about the Northdown Hops, really useful information for me as I am still finding my way when it comes to bittering and flavour.
Beers in the Jar fermenting, forgot to take a gravity reading before adding the yeast post boil but all looks good, I had the best gravity reading so far after Mash out of three Brews so I am confident, plus Clibit obviously knows his Onions !

Cheers

Yes, clibit has taught much to many of us and is well regarded.

Is there a thread or information anywhere that gives details about Hops and which ones are used with certain styles of beer, is it possible to equate the types of hops to a particular brand of Ale for example ?
I like the Styles of beers that come from Badger, Shepard Neame & St Austell breweries, I guessed from looking at some recipes online that maybe a Fursty Ferret beer would use a Northdown hop ? hence my use of the hop in my latest AG brew.
How would I know what Hop/Hops is in a certain brand or style of beer ? as a complete beginner ? or is that something I pick up over time ?

Cheers

Is there a thread or information anywhere that gives details about Hops and which ones are used with certain styles of beer, is it possible to equate the types of hops to a particular brand of Ale for example ?
I like the Styles of beers that come from Badger, Shepard Neame & St Austell breweries, I guessed from looking at some recipes online that maybe a Fursty Ferret beer would use a Northdown hop ? hence my use of the hop in my latest AG brew.
How would I know what Hop/Hops is in a certain brand or style of beer ? as a complete beginner ? or is that something I pick up over time ?

Cheers
Not an easy one to answer. Most basically you could say that the styles of beer traditionally brewed in a country, use the hop varieties native to that country. Beyond that look at a list of hop varieties and their associated flavour/aroma descriptions, either in a book such as Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes or on a home brew shop's website. This will also tell you which varieties are best for bittering, flavour/aroma or dual purpose.

Ultimately it comes down to preference and experience. Learn the flavour of hop varieties by making a smash, or buying single variety commercial beers. Either that or follow recipes and tweak to your preferences. A good place to start is CAMRA's Brew your own British Real Ale by Graham Wheeler, which has 100 recipes for clones of popular British ales.

Back